It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

UFOlogy a joke again?

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 8 2013 @ 01:33 AM
link   
reply to post by Kandinsky

Every decade has had its own flavour of mystery and this one seems pretty tasteless so far.

How long do you think it takes for a "good" case takes to surface? I get the impression that it takes some time for one of these things to get noticed.

posted on Jun, 8 2013 @ 02:25 AM
link   
reply to post by ZetaRediculian

How long do you think it takes for a "good" case takes to surface? I get the impression that it takes some time for one of these things to get noticed.

No idea. We had the humanoids, the triangles, the abductions and then, whatever the cause, the phenomena of sightings and reports resolved into plain old lights in the sky.

In that way, I interpret the decades as having a theme; a 'flavour.' *Something* might emerge for us, but it's apparently pretty quiet.

posted on Jun, 8 2013 @ 07:47 AM
link   
All we've had really is lights in the sky since the 1990s ended. Most of which are probably natural phenomenon, military tests, aircraft, satellites etc. or fakes using CGI. There could be a number of reasons for this. Perhaps the aliens got excited about us sending out radio signals and splitting the atom and so headed here in great numbers after we sent out our galactic calling cards? Maybe it was felt we are too primitive and have been placed in quarantine like a leper colony where visitation is prohibited. Or perhaps like our own visits to the moon ET lost interest in Earth and moved on?

To be honest I think a lot of reports from the past would not surface or get easily de-bunked today. Information traverses the globe in seconds because of the internet and satellite TV. If Roswell happened tomorrow, media would be despatched as soon as the announcement was made about a Flying Saucer recovered and be crawling all over the desert. The military leak nothing nowadays.

Similarly the recent "Russian meteorite" story would probably have morphed into a great UFO tale had it happened 50 years ago. Also all those reports of aliens landing and speaking to random folk in desolate areas were more than likely created by people seeking attention or playing pranks. Even the messages they allegedly sent were very like those of peace loving, environmentalist humans. If we ever get off this planet and discover a technology to take us to the stars, is the first conversation likely to be to preach to the natives of other worlds about how they are ruining their home planet by sucking it's natural resources dry and playing with nature?

It could be that the simple truth is that aliens never were visiting Earth or they have only done so on a few rare occasions and most of the stories we've heard from the past were a mix of fabrication, mis-identification or possibly something else we do not understand.

posted on Jun, 8 2013 @ 08:34 AM
link   
reply to post by mirageman

How about the Steven Michalak case, 1967? Landing incident with physical traces and anomalous injury. A credible witness.
We sure don't see these kinds of ufo cases anymore. Nor small 'landing' circles on people's property, that I know of.

edit on 8-6-2013 by misschareesee2 because: z

posted on Jun, 8 2013 @ 09:48 AM
link   
reply to post by Kandinsky

Lights are not a new thing, remember Foo Fighters from the war. The thing about lights is that we don't know what's inside them, there could be a solid craft and we just can't see it for the light.

I wish you could see a light like the one I saw then you wouldn't be calling them plain old lights. I'm not talking about a little dot of light way up high in the sky where you can't see it, I mean a huge bright light right in front of your eyes. Even if it turns out to have a down to earth explanation it's still an amazing experience to see one.

posted on Jun, 8 2013 @ 11:22 AM
link   
reply to post by markymint

So what was the last big thing - the Norway Spiral?

I have thought very similarly to what you are saying, but I did some digging around, and I don't think UFOs are going away. I think the problem is completely with the media. There have been several interesting cases in the last couple years—but for reasons unknown, the media has been silent.

Just one example: boomerang sighting

According to MUFON, 70,000 UFO reports are collected by organizations around the world. That number has been steadily growing for the past couple years. now 95% of these may be baloney, but that would still mean that each year there are still 3,500 credible quality reports. And don't forget the fact that most people who see UFOs never report them.

My point is, UFOs themselves aren't going away. They are still around, they are still being seen. The only problem is the media.

posted on Jun, 8 2013 @ 11:59 AM
link   
I think the way the media have & always will perceive the whole alien phenomenon is 1 of a joke,a bit of a laugh at the end of news segments..the classic line "and finally a UFO...."
People lap it up,smile & joke about it,i bet if the media did a 360 & took the phenomenon seriously so would everybody else..they follow what they are told to.
UFO stories,pictures & video's will always be there,you just have to decide whats real & what isn't, & keep watching the skys.

posted on Jun, 8 2013 @ 12:09 PM
link   
reply to post by rhynouk

I see it a bit differently.
Lately the media has been taking a more serious look at UFO reports. Not as seriously as they should, imo, but more seriously than they used to.

The Stephensville lights got quite a bit of solid MSM coverage.
The Ohare UFO did as well.

posted on Jun, 8 2013 @ 12:31 PM
link   
OP... maybe we are not "visited" as much as we would like to believe. Maybe we haven't had a "true" visitation since the 1990s so all we are left with since then are lights in the sky and internet hoaxes.

I mean I believe there is intelligent life out there but space/The Universe is also huge and we are but a small blue dot in it. Sure we are a noisy planet emitting all sorts of nonsense but even then our sphere of noise really hasn't reached out that far in the scheme of things. It is quite possible that we haven't even been visited at all to be honest. I'd love to believe we have and there are head scratching instances of WTF happened here but who can ultimately tell? Until "they" land at the White House or Red Square or wherever they wish and say "take us to your leader" there isn't much to be done but wish and speculate.

We may have been simply overlooked... or the ones that did spot us have taken notice and moved on. Who knows. I just am not so sure we have aliens zipping around as an every day or every decade or so occurance. We may only have a "visit" once every century or millenia. Again, who knows?

posted on Jun, 8 2013 @ 12:37 PM
link   
reply to post by Terminal1

I always love the "until they land at the white house" line. They flew right over it back in the 50s. I mean, what more can we ask for?!

posted on Jun, 8 2013 @ 12:59 PM
link   

Originally posted by JayinAR
reply to post by Terminal1

I always love the "until they land at the white house" line. They flew right over it back in the 50s. I mean, what more can we ask for?!

Did it land? Did beings pop out and ask for directions to leaders?

posted on Jun, 8 2013 @ 01:58 PM
link   

Originally posted by markymint
I just feel something has happened. Maybe it's a month too early to speculate...but the stories have been SO far and few in the last year or TWO...it almost feels "off"

Maybe you sense something affecting many frequencies here... Interesting observation.

posted on Jun, 8 2013 @ 02:08 PM
link   
Ufology has been a joke since Hynek's death. Now instead of researchers who employ the scientific method to sightings we have "researchers" who start with preconceived conclusions and cherry pick evidence to support that conclusion. I've said it many times on this site, the widespread acceptance of the ET hypothesis was the worst thing that ever happened to ufology.

posted on Jun, 8 2013 @ 02:14 PM
link   
reply to post by Xcalibur254

I disagree.
Too Many accounts of 3rd kind encounters that DIRECTLY relate UFOs to ET.

posted on Jun, 8 2013 @ 02:21 PM
link   
in my opinion it's probably more inline with what's going on with me at the moment.. a lifetime of "blindly believing".

in all my life absolutely thinking.. they've been here, they are here and regularly having some part of our evolution some how but since our acknowledgement of et not one single shred of evidence or proof and if you've spent a lifetime thinking of.., believing ... etc... it becomes to frustrating to maintain interest.

i wholeheartedly believe "they" exist i just think they've been here and when i think that my second thought is how many people who have claimed one thing or another about seeing them, abduction.. etc.. it boggles my mind.

so at this point in my life i've just put a place-holder on this for the time being until i see irrefutable evidence.

right now.. 99%, give or take, of the earths population has an HD camera on them 24/7 (phones) and the fact that still there's no better evidence than video and pictures from the late 40's and 50's? you have to question your beliefs at some point.

EdIT: i don't look upon this subject as a joke though, just not proven in my eyes, yet.
edit on 8-6-2013 by n3mesis because: added line

posted on Jun, 8 2013 @ 02:22 PM
link   
1 accepts planetary based craft to secret and all but there still seems to be a paranormal connection to some sightings. The experience 1 had I made a thread here and it was sighting as well as feeling but not sure who or why but the lights and the way they moved seemed ( don't know) looked like normal sky star patterns @ first and then the stars where like lights moving in my direction in a arrow (more like the curl shape in the wooden Holland shoes formation @ first like 7to 9 lights and then they switched direction and went in a wave like pattern.... Its odd as in seconds seemed I was looking @ stars and then lights that didn't seem to far above head... Almost as 1 tried to understand considered they were reflections of the street lights off of something I couldn't then ... Process mentally visually. So were those some hidden group observing -US gov observing or something beyond Still don't know. But the female present @ that moment with me also seen and when she did made the crucifix on her chest so I knew this was confirmed. and that its not a joke well at least to me...

Ufology joke or is there something effecting many attention/interest levels somehow in them (calming) not sure...

The above post with the poltergeist scene was in reference to how all were SLEEP (quiet) minimal AWAKE sensing before others... experienced, POTENTIAL paranormal/Metaphysical not understood Energies... here

I think UFO are real again secret craft for whatever reason on and off P... 1 also feels there ARE space craft as well as dimensional craft or transporting beings..

NAMASTE*******

posted on Jun, 8 2013 @ 02:28 PM
link   
the experience

www.abovetopsecret.com...

posted on Jun, 8 2013 @ 02:30 PM
link   
reply to post by JayinAR

Yet what of earlier accounts? Throughout time we have cases that bear a striking resemblance to modern UFO cases. Yet in these cases these beings were referred to as fairies, angels, demons, eccentric inventors, and a number of other things. As Jacques Vallee has pointed out our perception of these occupants have changed to match our current understanding of science and the universe. By stopping the conversation at aliens we are no different than the peasants of the dark ages who automatically assumed these objects in the sky were agents of God or Satan.

posted on Jun, 8 2013 @ 11:57 PM
link   
Thanks for all the thoughtful replies, every one of them worth my time to read
I'll try and reply in a couple of days or so. A lot of agreeable points definitely.

posted on Jun, 9 2013 @ 02:05 AM
link   
reply to post by LEL01

Lights are not a new thing, remember Foo Fighters from the war. The thing about lights is that we don't know what's inside them, there could be a solid craft and we just can't see it for the light.

The lights have been around for centuries and we're still no wiser about what they might be.

I wish you could see a light like the one I saw then you wouldn't be calling them plain old lights. I'm not talking about a little dot of light way up high in the sky where you can't see it, I mean a huge bright light right in front of your eyes. Even if it turns out to have a down to earth explanation it's still an amazing experience to see one.

You're very lucky to have seen something so extraordinary. A lot of people find themselves interested in UFOs and never get the chance to see one. On the other hand, some of the greatest UFO researchers have reportedly seen clear discs and/or lights in the sky.

In my own case, I was with friends on the English south coast and we saw a red light zig-zag across the night sky in ~4 seconds. It looked just like a dark red meteor and I had no 'sense' that it was intelligent. It travelled like a ball bouncing inside a sphere and nothing natural travels like that and neither does anything conventionally intelligent.

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join