It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The Vikings made it to Notre Dame Bay in Newfoundland

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 7 2013 @ 06:59 PM
link   
More information has been gleaned from artifacts found at the Viking habitant at L'anse aux meadows in Canada. Two jasper fire starters, used to make fire when struck against steel have been chemically associated with the jasper found father south.

Nothing earth shaking but it means the Vikings made if further south or the natives brought the jasper to LAAM.

Full story

About Notre Dame Bay

"For anyone coming from the nearly treeless islands of the North Atlantic, this would have potentially been a very interesting zone," Smith said. "There are a lot of trees; there's a lot of opportunities for cutting things down; it's a bit warmer; it's an interesting mix of resources," Smith said.

This area of Notre Dame Bay [is] archaeologically the area of densest settlement on Newfoundland, at that time, of indigenous people, the ancestors of the Beothuk," a people who, at the time, lived as hunter-gatherers, Smith told LiveScience.

However, the Norse exploration outpost at L'Anse aux Meadows was in operation for no more than 10 to 25 years, archaeological evidence suggests. In fact, according to medieval Norse stories, the outpost may have been in use for just two to three years, and perhaps only seasonally, before being abandoned.

edit on 7/6/13 by Hanslune because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 8 2013 @ 01:56 AM
link   
reply to post by Hanslune

Hiya Hans, good to see you again

L'Anse aux Meadows always catches my imagination so the article and image files are fascinating. When I saw this (below), I wondered how they conclude it was evidence of a voyage? Couldn't it have been traded by people closer to the Norse?

This jasper fire starter was found in 2008 only 33 feet (10 meters) away from a Norse hall at L’Anse aux Meadows, the only Norse settlement in the New World. Chemical analysis reveals that the jasper comes from the Notre Dame Bay area about 140 miles (230 kilometers) to the south, evidence of a Norse voyage to that region. This fire starter would have been struck against steel, creating sparks and starting a fire. Over time it wore down and was discarded.
Link

Given their reputations and histories, they probably did set out to the bay of Notre Dame and I'm just splitting hairs.

Incidentally, slide 7 shows the voyages of the Norse and I had no idea they were so extensive. The realisation that they coast-hopped the entirety of Europe is quite a surprise.

posted on Jun, 8 2013 @ 02:01 AM
link   

Originally posted by Kandinsky
reply to post by Hanslune

Hiya Hans, good to see you again

L'Anse aux Meadows always catches my imagination so the article and image files are fascinating. When I saw this (below), I wondered how they conclude it was evidence of a voyage? Couldn't it have been traded by people closer to the Norse?

This jasper fire starter was found in 2008 only 33 feet (10 meters) away from a Norse hall at L’Anse aux Meadows, the only Norse settlement in the New World. Chemical analysis reveals that the jasper comes from the Notre Dame Bay area about 140 miles (230 kilometers) to the south, evidence of a Norse voyage to that region. This fire starter would have been struck against steel, creating sparks and starting a fire. Over time it wore down and was discarded.
Link

Given their reputations and histories, they probably did set out to the bay of Notre Dame and I'm just splitting hairs.

Incidentally, slide 7 shows the voyages of the Norse and I had no idea they were so extensive. The realisation that they coast-hopped the entirety of Europe is quite a surprise.

I'm swagging it to suggest that the Beothuk ancestors didn't use jasper for fire ignition as they didn't have steel - perhaps someone with knowledge of NA fire making procedures could comment?

posted on Jun, 8 2013 @ 05:09 AM
link   
Of coarse the did.The America's are their's. Hence your viking stripes on the American flag.

posted on Jun, 8 2013 @ 12:38 PM
link   
reply to post by 13th Zodiac

That's an interesting claim, evidence?

posted on Jun, 10 2013 @ 03:36 AM
link   
Perhaps the vikings made it a bit further than we had thought. The Mandan in the Midwest were an odd light haired native american tribe.

The Kensington runestone suggested as much, but that is a forgery, right?

posted on Jun, 10 2013 @ 11:22 AM
link   

Originally posted by SevenThunders
Perhaps the vikings made it a bit further than we had thought. The Mandan in the Midwest were an odd light haired native american tribe.

The Kensington runestone suggested as much, but that is a forgery, right?

The Kensington is an oddity I've personally never been able to come to decision on. I lack the knowledge of Norse languages to evaluate the various points of the debate. However I accept the consensus opinion on it until more evidence can be found to support the claim of it being of Norse manufacture.

There are claims about the Mandan but it would seem they were native Americans. If some Norse interbred with them several hundred years ago there genetic contribution would have been long since been 'submerged' especially (as I understand it) most of their key physical traits are recessive - I await to be corrected on that.

I suspect that the Norse did get farther south at least to Nova Scotia and perhaps even New England....farther? Unknown at present
edit on 10/6/13 by Hanslune because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 10 2013 @ 02:33 PM
link   

Originally posted by Hanslune
reply to post by 13th Zodiac

13 First colonies? No. 13 tribes . Yes. Yes I am aware of the colonies, but the Story of America is much older than that.The same can be said of the UK's history. England colonizes America. Denmark Colonized England too, long before that event. Denmark is the one country to host Obama twice. With in a month of Obama's first Election, the Danish Royal's pay a visit. Denmark is now Chairing, G20 Carbon trading, Olympic Commitee and worst of all N.A.T.O.
All things refered to as Evidence is conjecture. Alot of innocent people have gone to prison on such evidence. If you comprehend what I am saying? Let the words , actions and deeds, defend themselves. This is just the tip of the iceberg.

posted on Jun, 10 2013 @ 02:48 PM
link   

Originally posted by 13th Zodiac

13 First colonies? No. 13 tribes . Yes. Yes I am aware of the colonies, but the Story of America is much older than that.The same can be said of the UK's history. England colonizes America. Denmark Colonized England too, long before that event. Denmark is the one country to host Obama twice. With in a month of Obama's first Election, the Danish Royal's pay a visit. Denmark is now Chairing, G20 Carbon trading, Olympic Commitee and worst of all N.A.T.O.
All things refered to as Evidence is conjecture. Alot of innocent people have gone to prison on such evidence. If you comprehend what I am saying? Let the words , actions and deeds, defend themselves. This is just the tip of the iceberg.

Thanks for the reply

Actually the flag above is the flag of the British East India company - just put it to show that stripes were commonly used by the British.

To your comments -what does Obama have to do with the stripes in the US flag?

So back to the original question, you said

Of coarse the did.The America's are their's. Hence your viking stripes on the American flag.

To which I replied

So again how are the stripes in the American war flag 'Viking"? Knowledge of the discoveries of the Norse by way of the saga didn't become commonly known until after the founding of the US. (AFAIK) I believe these were translated first in the late 19th century.

Based on your comments I think you are trying to draw a connection between Denmark (Vikings) and England, then to the US.....

posted on Jun, 11 2013 @ 01:57 AM
link   

Originally posted by Hanslune

Originally posted by 13th Zodiac

Based on your comments I think you are trying to draw a connection between Denmark (Vikings) and England, then to the US.....

You are correct in your thinking, question is am I right in mine ? It is more complicated than that. I could talk a month of Sunday's and not even scratch the surface. I honestly don't want to go there right now.

top topics

join