It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Calculating consciousness using matematics.

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 7 2013 @ 05:56 PM
link   
Metaphysics has an extensive literature catalog describing upon the nature of reality and in paticular the role of consciousness. However science and the degrees of matematical progress may finally allow a fuller understanding of these non-phyiscal mental events.

Realizing that consciousness is not the brain, serving as a kind complex organic motherboard/CPU but is something of a dual entity split into logical/creative evolutive forces.
William James pioneered American psychology and was against the idea that the brain produces consciousness in his Ingersol Lecture, 1898.
Current thinking places it as a non-local phenomeon meaning it's not localized to a specific point in space or time.

Quantum mechanics and the study of sub-atomic paticles is the key to unlocking the mystery of consciousness combined with chaos science proving that the entire universe is a holographic output from the data within a blackhole.

posted on Jun, 7 2013 @ 05:59 PM
link   
reply to post by Tindalos2013

I have always thought that consciousness is awareness.

posted on Jun, 7 2013 @ 07:00 PM
link   

Originally posted by Tindalos2013
Quantum mechanics and the study of sub-atomic paticles is the key to unlocking the mystery of consciousness combined with chaos science proving that the entire universe is a holographic output from the data within a blackhole.

Particles?
Blackhole?
Holographs?
Chaos science?
Quantum mechanics?

Is this a theory or a laundry list of QP catch phrases? Although you do get points for using all of them in one sentence. And extra credit for associating them with consciousness. That's not as easy as you made it seem.

posted on Jun, 7 2013 @ 07:19 PM
link   
reply to post by backcase

Awareness is a kind of metacognition. For example "I am aware that I am looking at a computer monitor". Its about knowing that you are knowing and it is different from consciousness.

Further reading

posted on Jun, 7 2013 @ 07:40 PM
link   

Originally posted by NorEaster

Particles?
Blackhole?
Holographs?
Chaos science?
Quantum mechanics?

Is this a theory or a laundry list of QP catch phrases? Although you do get points for using all of them in one sentence. And extra credit for associating them with consciousness. That's not as easy as you made it seem.

I'm currently researching this theory in the research forum that consciousness is a quantum cycle of something. I'm examining the interconnectedness of all available data both past and current.
edit on 7-6-2013 by Tindalos2013 because: Typos from beyond the universe.

posted on Jun, 7 2013 @ 08:21 PM
link   
reply to post by Tindalos2013

Realizing that consciousness is not the brain, serving as a kind complex organic motherboard/CPU but is something of a dual entity split into logical/creative evolutive forces.

I agree consciousness as we explain it (I agree with James insofar that it is a name for a non-entity, a last ditch effort to reconcile the idea of a soul), cannot be localized.

The brain is nothing without the other organs, the bones that protect it, the respiration system, etc. Consciousness as we describe it is nothing without the senses, we need them tolive up to the very definition of being conscious. Likewise, the senses are nothing without something to sense, the body is nothing without its context and an environment to be in, and the environment is nothing without its context, and so on and so forth. There's nothing called "consciousness" to draw a circle around unless we consider it the the appearance of a functioning body and its surroundings. Once the relationship ceases with the functioning of the body, there is no longer any "consciousness", or no longer the appearance of a being that is conscious.

Consciousness is merely an adjective (a descriptive word) turned into a noun (a person, place or thing), as we are prone to do with states of appearances. Consciousness exists as much as "happiness", "tiredness", or "sexiness" exist. It's bad grammar.

edit on 7-6-2013 by LesMisanthrope because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 7 2013 @ 10:04 PM
link   

Originally posted by NorEaster

Particles?
Blackhole?
Holographs?
Chaos science?
Quantum mechanics?

I'm currently researching this theory in the research forum that consciousness is a quantum cycle of something. I'm examining the interconnectedness of all available data both past and current.
edit on 7-6-2013 by Tindalos2013 because: Typos from beyond the universe.

Why "quantum"? What's so universal about that one term anyway? It's not a get-out-of-reality-free card.

new topics

top topics

join