It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

"Plastic" Girls in Media and Popular Culture!

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 7 2013 @ 02:58 PM
link   
Pastic girls and all the unnatural plastic they plasticized themselves with! Hmm...

So I'm sure you all hear it or have heard it once in your life. Usually you hear it from a couple of insecure, possibly overweight women who can't help but jab and dig at someone in the media or perhaps a trainer at the gym, the office secretary, heck it might even be the waitress serving customers at the restaurant you ate at last friday.

Dream for a second here and visualize the experience. Boncho is in a room full of ansty estrogen and wimminz are all over the place.

Two are talking so loud that Boncho can't help but overhear them:

💁💬👧💬

"Look at that girl, I bet she's spent like a million dollars on all the plastic she had put in her! She's so plastic!"

"She doesn't even look natural at all, from her nails to her face, to boobs down to butt!"

*Boncho looks around*

💃👀

That woman??

💁💬👧💬

Another set of women begin ripping on the girl and they go on and

🕧🕞🕕🕘 tic tok tic tok tic tok

I mean ON and ON!

💁💬👧💬

"It's actually sad you know... Like really sad, that someone could be so superficial."

"I know... Imagine what her family thinks of her... she's so plastic and I bet she doesn't even treat anyone in her life with any respect. She obviously only cares about her looks!"

"She kinda looks like an alien 👽 with all that plastic inside of her."

Boncho thinks to himself. 'I ought to make and ATS rant thread about his. Because I is fuming.😤"

💭
🚶

Dear god save me from the hypocrisy.

😵🔫

I hear it often and I'm sure you ATSers have heard it to: The term Plastic being used describing girls that have undergone plastic surgery. Well, in the spirit of deny ignorance I thought I'd make a thread ranting about a pet peeve I have with the general public, with family members, with friends of friends, and just about anyone else inserting the "plastic" term when making digs at girls they feel are superficial plastic creatures from dimension X.

In fact, the term plastic is not what some believe to be. Plastic surgery, is for all intents and purposes not referring to 'plastic' (polymers) being inserted into people.

Plastic surgery is a medical specialty concerned with the correction or restoration of form and function. Though cosmetic or aesthetic surgery is the best-known kind of plastic surgery, most plastic surgery is not cosmetic;[2] plastic surgery includes many types of reconstructive surgery, hand surgery, microsurgery, and the treatment of burns.

Wiki

Let's look at the etymology:

Etymology[edit]

In the term plastic surgery, the adjective plastic denotes sculpting, and derives from the Greek πλαστική (τέχνη), plastikē (tekhnē), “the art of modelling” of malleable flesh.[3]

It is indeed in reference to shaping, moulding flesh.

Plastic is about remodelling the flesh, not inserting styrofoam into a persons butt.

My Thoughts.

I had to get this one off my chest. I see it way too often where insecure people make digs at any girl simply for being too pretty in their eyes. They jab at them for "being plastic", which in fact, they should simply say, "they were too plasticized.

Sounds dumb doesn't it? Sounds about as dumb calling someone plastic. And when they are bashing someone for "being too plastic" they forgot to look in the mirror and see that they are the ones being superficial. Yes, if you judge someone simply because of their looks, and fail to spend the time to get to know them, it is you that is being too superficial.

And should you not like someone, but then blame it on their choice in appearance, again it is you that is being too superficial. I get it, not everyone gets along, but pointing out plastic surgery procedures is no different than someone else pointing out that you are fat, ugly, hairy, etc.

In fact, the hypocrisy is high in these cases. You have people picking apart others simply off their appearance, (acting superficial) and often saying they are the ones that are superficial, perhaps even calling them dumb, stupid, etc. when using the term "plastic" in the wrong context!

Oh the ironing board.

In any case, I realize that some people overdo it with plastic surgery, and are obsessed with their appearance to extreme proportions. That some people are only focused on the superficial things in life. And I don't give any credit to said individuals, I'm just pointing out that on either side of the spectrum, the behaviour and attitudes are almost identical.

There needs to be a balance somewhere in the middle.

Plenty of beautiful women who may have gone under the knife, are not superficial in the least. They aren't dumb, stupid, or solely obsessed with their looks and nothing else.

But I offer a warning.

Don't be one of those people. Don't be one of those people who judge or rip on a girl for being too pretty, or abusive simply because someone chose to get some work done. Or perhaps they didn't even get work done but their beauty threatens you in some way.

Whatever you do, don't use the term "plastic" in the wrong context to dig at them. It shows your ignorance, shows that you are the dummy and in fact, as superficial as you claim the person you are mocking (is).

Rant over.

Where's Beezer when you need him??

......(\_/)
......( '_')
..../""""""""""""\======░ ▒▓▓█D ➾ ➾ ➾ ➾ ➾ ➾ ➾ ➾ ➾ ⚈💁💬
/"""""""""""""""""""\
\_@_@_@_@_@ /

posted on Jun, 7 2013 @ 04:23 PM
link   
Maybe it is a woman thing but I guess we are seeing something men do not.

Plastic is more of a label you would give some one like you would goth or preppie. They are a subculture of sorts.
They have a particular style with an unbecoming personality to go with it.

Women don't like these particular women, not because of their looks, but because they ruin the good men out there. These are the women that only want men for their money and usually treat their men like crap. Everything is solely about appearances.
These are the women that create bitter men.

You can take two women, lets make them twins, equally beautiful, both made up in the same way, wearing the same clothing but you could have one that is considered plastic, and one that is not. Why? It is in her mannerisms.

The non plastic twin is going to carry herself in a friendly, natural manner, when she looks at other people, she is seeing fellow human beings.
The plastic twin is going to have more arrogant mannerisms, her actions rehearsed. She looks at other as potential admirers, and as means to achieving something she wants.

Plastic women are narcissists.

They spend money on their looks to get attention, not to make themselves feel better.

Women complain, because we see the wreckage they cause.

This is a completely different scenario than women who complain about other women because she is thin or got a boob job out of insecurity. The word plastic defines that difference.

edit on 7-6-2013 by calstorm because: (no reason given)

edit on 7-6-2013 by calstorm because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 7 2013 @ 07:21 PM
link   
There is too much pressure on women to look perfect. My sister's best friend just lost her sister to anorexia. It starts with very young girls seeing the women in movies and magazines and even the barbie doll who has an impossible figure.

Each woman brings her own natural beauty into the world, there is no such thing as perfect, so why kill yourself trying be?

posted on Jun, 7 2013 @ 07:56 PM
link   
reply to post by calstorm

Women don't like these particular women, not because of their looks, but because they ruin the good men out there. These are the women that only want men for their money and usually treat their men like crap. Everything is solely about appearances.
These are the women that create bitter men.

You can take two women, lets make them twins, equally beautiful, both made up in the same way, wearing the same clothing but you could have one that is considered plastic, and one that is not. Why? It is in her mannerisms.

I realize some girls use the term plastic, as a comparison to barbie dolls, or general "fakeness", and I suppose that one has its merit as it does make sense in the context used.

The use I was talking about is when girls are inferring plastic, from plastic surgery makes the person plastic in some sense. As in replaced with plastic through surgery.

I was told by one, "the girl is fake, she's like, made of plastic now from all her plastic surgery".

That... is what grinded my gears. And yes... Too often the whole "fake" label is used... Or is you just the "realest" girl on the block?
(Not speaking to you, a generalized "you")

posted on Jun, 7 2013 @ 08:10 PM
link   

Originally posted by Night Star
There is too much pressure on women to look perfect. My sister's best friend just lost her sister to anorexia. It starts with very young girls seeing the women in movies and magazines and even the barbie doll who has an impossible figure.

Each woman brings her own natural beauty into the world, there is no such thing as perfect, so why kill yourself trying be?

That comes down to how people in their life treat them to be honest. Not enough people work on building self confidence in their friends and family. And a lot of times you see the opposite actually, where people are cutting each other down to make them selves feel like they are on top or better.

You can't blame society for this though.

I think you may find the cause of a negative self image far more complicated than simply blaming it on "Skinny girls on magazines."

The higher prevalence is also associated with urbanization or population density.[The following popper user interface control may not be accessible. Tab to the next button to revert the control to an accessible version.Destroy user interface control58] In Japan, Nadaoka[The following popper user interface control may not be accessible. Tab to the next button to revert the control to an accessible version.Destroy user interface control55] reported that most eating disorder patients came from medium-sized cities (population: 60,000 to 250,000) compared with small and rural districts. He also indicated that more anorexia nervosa sufferers were found in urban areas.

By contrast, a recent Iranian survey reported that women in Teheran who were more interested in Western culture were more likely to be satisfied with their body shape and suggests that the hypothesis of cultural effects on eating disorders may be limited.[The following popper user interface control may not be accessible. Tab to the next button to revert the control to an accessible version.Destroy user interface control28]

www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov...

For one, most everyone knows that images are altered and many images projected are not realistic. The anorexic model look, while still popular on the runway is slowly fading. People now are going for different images and the result are things like injections to increase the girth of the rear end. Yet, the people who are unsatisfied and jump on any craze or fad simply because they saw it on a magazine, those people are not the majority. They are not even the majority amongst those with a negative self image.

Id say behaviour and relationship issues are the major cause of negative self image and low self esteem. People treating each other in certain ways that make them desperate enough to jump on any change they can simply to try and overcome the problems they've developed through the negative relationships.

For example.. I'd be happy with my girlfriend getting implants to make her figure more feminine if it was for the benefit of our relationship and if it made her feel more feminine. If it was simply so she can wear tube tops and get guys to whistle at her then there's a problem. Or because her "best friend" has large breasts and subtly mocks her or portrays a superiority over her because of it, and she does it to try and stop that... That's a problem.

In the first case she's looking to strangers for approval. In the second, a so called best friend, she seeks approval from and it was not realistic, she was never going to get it, the friend only made digs about it because she saw the insecurity, once the change has been made the friend just finds a new fault or new insecurity.

These kinds of cases I've seen a few times.

Positive relationships people... look for them. Don't settle for less.

posted on Jun, 9 2013 @ 03:32 PM
link   
This is a touchy subject for me.

Don't get me wrong, I think myself to be more or less attractive in an "alternative" sense (spikes and chains), but not in the sense that society endears.

I was treated like garbage by the "plastic" subculture, so I guess I am always going to be a little bias regarding them. I despise them.

But I will say, while I am revolted by their fakeness and superficial mentality, I will admit that they are victims of a merciless, disgusting culture. Giant breasts, child-bearing hips, but somehow still skinny and with little to no waist.

This body type is nearly impossible to obtain without surgery, or a fixed eating disorder. Very few are born this way, and those who are, I believe are genetic screw-ups.

Just people who are born un-preportioned. Just like a girl with an unrealistically round body, but with skinny arms and legs (I have seen them before, quite a few times). They are designed improperly.

But long story short, if you're judging someone based on their looks, your judgement will be limited.

However, if this person's actions justify your judgement, its a whole different story.

posted on Jun, 9 2013 @ 04:16 PM
link   
I haven't heard of people referencing the plastic term to plastic surgery the way that you put it. Yup it would be annoying since the use of "plastic" in that way is wrong.

I used to use the "plastic" term and "fluff chicks" a lot.
Plastic in the doll sense. Hollow inside. No substance. No brain.
They are fake, they copy everyone on tv, and they're weak.
It's the girl complaining about breaking a precious nail.
It's the one b*tching about walking (in heels) because they couldn't find a parking spot near the door.
They aspire to being someone's arm candy. We all know they'll never lift a finger so they have to find a guy to take care of them.
It's not just their "look", it's their attitude and personality.

I just laugh because I know in time what happens. We will all grow older but these ones make it harder on themselves.

posted on Jun, 10 2013 @ 12:08 PM
link   
@ the OP

..two monks are travelling and come to a river, nearby a peasant woman is waiting with dress pulled up etc hoping someone will help her across, one of the monks obliges, putting her on his shoulders, and the three cross the river without incident..

soon after the two monks are again traveling alone and the one speaks to the other, "brother, why did you touch the woman? surely this is a transgression" ...the other monk simply says, "brother, i have put down the woman long ago, why is it you have not?"

edit on 10-6-2013 by UNIT76 because: strange as it sounds, it's relevant

posted on Jun, 18 2013 @ 02:27 PM
link   
reply to post by boncho

I think the term started in pop culture with movies like Clueless and Mean Girls. Blame them.

posted on Jun, 18 2013 @ 02:37 PM
link   
Women's magazines are the worst culprits, always looking to highlight some celebs cellulite or stretch marks. Who looks best in what outfit, who's surgery has gone wrong, who's boyfriend is cheating on them. Inbetween are airbrushed photos in commercials for beauty products. Yet the girls love these magazines, even the ones who like to think themselves a bit feminist. Well the ones I know anyway.

posted on Jun, 18 2013 @ 05:09 PM
link   
I dont use the term 'plastic'

I really dont judge other women on how they look. I judge them on what comes out of their mouths and what attitude they have.

If you act like a bimbo ( no matter how you look ) I will mentally note you as one.

new topics

top topics

join