It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

WAR: Iraqi officer deserts with Fallujah battle plans

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Nov, 7 2004 @ 01:24 AM
link   
Just hours after recieving a full briefing covering the details for the U.S. attack on Fallujah Iraqi Military commander deserts leaving behind his uniform and automatic weapon.

www.abc.net.au
Iraqi officer deserts with Fallujah battle plans

An Iraqi military commander has deserted US forces hours after he received a full briefing on US military plans to storm the rebel-held city of Fallujah, CNN has reported.

The pool report sent to Reuters and other media from a US marine unit quoted US officers as saying the desertion of the unidentified captain, a Kurdish company commander, would not change plans to retake the city before elections scheduled for January 27.

They said they believe the officer, who commanded 160 Iraqi soldiers training with US marines at a base on the outskirts of Fallujah, was not likely to hand over battle plans to rebels in the Sunni Muslim city.

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.

The Kurdish company commander is said to have no ties to
Fallujah. Marine officers state that it is significant that he dissapeared only hours after the briefing.

[edit on 11/7/2004 by geocom]

posted on Nov, 7 2004 @ 01:35 AM
link   
Well, what a surprise. The common theme in the American media, is that the Iraqi resistance are just a bunch of a dumb "terrorists," when in reality, they have infiltrated the aggressors ranks, while the Coalition cannot do the same in reverse.

I don't know what everyone was thinking, but I guess everyone assumed the invasion would be bloody, but that the "terrorists" would just pop out, take a few shots, and then be killed.

They're not fools.

posted on Nov, 7 2004 @ 02:10 AM
link   
Kurds and Sunni's have no connection. They hate each other, Sunni's killed Kurds under Saddam.

He just did a bunk after realising that this war was not worth dying for....

Thats why the military are not worried.

posted on Nov, 7 2004 @ 02:17 AM
link   
And it probably didn't have more details than were necessary.

This may also be a disinformation op, and if you think U.S. forces don't do things like that, then by all means please continue to think so.

One thing I'm pretty sure of: Coalition commanders really aren't worried.

posted on Nov, 7 2004 @ 02:18 AM
link   

Originally posted by Majic
One thing I'm pretty sure of: Coalition commanders really aren't worried.

And I don't think that the resistance is, either.

[edit on 7-11-2004 by cstyle226]

posted on Nov, 7 2004 @ 02:20 AM
link   
what are they resisting?

do YOU really want the US to just pull everything out and let the whole country fall into civil war and even more anarchy than there is now?

posted on Nov, 7 2004 @ 02:22 AM
link   
I don't believe the Coalition intentions are as pure as everyone would hope. They are resisting the occupation.

The first excuse was WMD.
Now it's freedom.

But it's really $$$. So the resistance is a good thing.

posted on Nov, 7 2004 @ 02:27 AM
link   
I don't think anyone really believes that his battle is about exterminating Zaquawi as claimed.

Its the final win or die battle for Iraq. If America loses then they are really in the poo, with uprisings all around Iraq, if they win they might regain peace there.

Either way its a dirty war.

Despite the protestations it certianly IS vietnam 2.

posted on Nov, 7 2004 @ 08:39 AM
link   
Netchicken

I agree with you on every point, even though grabbing Zarqawi would be a plus. He's probably sitting in Iran by now. I don't know how anybody can think that he'd sit there and wait to be killed. These "leaders" never do; they leave their followers behind to take the heat.

The only way Zarqawi will ever be nabbed is by surprise, not during a planned battle.

Similarly, America will lose this battle only if the troops are held back, as they were in the past, for political reasons, or for concerns of collateral damage.

What the current holdup is, I don't know. The troops are ready, just waiting for the word from Allawi. Time to play ball.

posted on Nov, 7 2004 @ 09:58 AM
link   

Originally posted by Netchicken

Except this time we're going to win.

posted on Nov, 7 2004 @ 10:04 AM
link   
It's also likely that the officer just lost his nerve.

posted on Nov, 7 2004 @ 12:02 PM
link   
Really?
Show me some proof that America is "winning" in Iraq?
Everything there is worse now than 6 months ago. More uprisings, more attacks, more soldiers needed, more US soldiers killed, more money allocated, more countries leaving.. more beheadings...

Just what HAS got better?
I read a lot around this topic and can confidently say that recently you are the only person who has said that America is winning. Body counts are not a mark of a successful war, especially when the enemy has 26 (?) million people.

Originally posted by Majic

Originally posted by Netchicken

posted on Nov, 7 2004 @ 12:54 PM
link   
NC youre wrong, we are winning, heavy loses doesnt mean youre losing, seriously, you dont see destroyed bases, units being over ran, dont notice supply routes being cut off, nothing tactically or logistically suggesting they are losing, 1,000 is not heavy losses at all, i mean 50+ a day in vietnam vs 1 or 2 in iraq in situations of no military importance, thats nothing like vietnam, you know nothing about war, wins are almost always messy, lost wars are not made by losses, just by losing in areas of strategic importance do, which has not been seen in iraq.

posted on Nov, 7 2004 @ 02:06 PM
link   
How are we winning?

More attacks, more beheadings, more terrorists, more uprisings, etc.

The terrorists know that this is most likely their final stand in the mideast. They are desperate, and are throwing everything they have at us in one final attempt to drive us out.

It isn't working. It's messy, but we aren't leaving anytime soon. And soon the terrorists will be emasculated.

The reason that it is taking so long is that we are too nice; we play by a higher standard. We draw our forces back when the terrorists hide in a mosque. We give wannabes like Mookie al Sadr too many chances to change his mind.

Why do you think al Qaeda has such an interest in Iraq? It's not from altruism or humanitarianism, I'll tell you that.

new topics

top topics

join