It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Obama: Privacy Invasions 'Modest Encroachments'

page: 5
<< 2  3  4    6  7 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 8 2013 @ 03:54 PM
link   

Originally posted by kaylaluv
reply to post by xuenchen

So you expect them to do absolutely nothing to try and identify and stop any potential terrorists? Nothing? Nothing is what Bush did, which is why 9/11 happened. Oh, yeah I forgot, you all think there is no such thing as terrorists - they're all false flag events with actors.

Don't forget to lump Clinton in there with Bush. They were ready to deliver Osama bin Laden on a silver platter to him.
He did nothing.

posted on Jun, 8 2013 @ 03:57 PM
link   

Originally posted by beezzer

So you expect them to do absolutely nothing to try and identify and stop any potential terrorists? Nothing? Nothing is what Bush did, which is why 9/11 happened. Oh, yeah I forgot, you all think there is no such thing as terrorists - they're all false flag events with actors.

Oh good god! Yes! Lets all sacrifice our freedoms so we can be safe from the terrorists!

Why if we were a perfect little police state, then we'd have NOTHING to fear!

Freedom comes with risks. If people become so cowardly that they can't handle those risks anymore, then they embrace the security that comes with a police-state.

And it looks like America is becoming a cowardly nation.

You can never, ever, ever have 100% freedom. That's a myth.

Oh my god! Now we're going to quibble about NUMBERS???

It must be painful carrying the water for this administration. I hope it's covered under the new healthcare law.

You don't want your freedom? Who cares. Just don't give mine away by voting for these asshat tinpot dictators!

posted on Jun, 8 2013 @ 04:11 PM
link   
Things are getting a bit heated.

Something to ponder. . .

posted on Jun, 8 2013 @ 04:13 PM
link   

Oh my god! Now we're going to quibble about NUMBERS???

It must be painful carrying the water for this administration. I hope it's covered under the new healthcare law.

You don't want your freedom? Who cares. Just don't give mine away by voting for these asshat tinpot dictators!

Well, gee Beezzer-- you have the freedom to call them asshat tinpot dictators - what more do you want?

I don't understand all this freedom we've lost. We can still travel anywhere in the U.S.A we want - we can live anywhere we want. We can get whatever job an employer is willing to hire us for. We still have the freedom to make a crap-load of money if we've got the next big idea. We have the freedom to birth as many kids as we want - we have the freedom to not have any kids if we don't want them. We can shop where we want (unless we're gays), eat where we want, drive whatever gas-guzzling car we want. We are free to join the military - or not. What are all these important freedoms we have lost? Other than the fact that we won't be able to take advantage of the hospital emergency room in lieu of healthcare insurance and proper healthcare, I just see life pretty much the same as it's always been. My life certainly hasn't changed in any significant way since Obama, or even since Bush, for that matter - as far as freedoms go, anyway. I'd say we're about 90% free. That's a pretty good number, even though you don't like numbers.

posted on Jun, 8 2013 @ 04:26 PM
link   
reply to post by kaylaluv

Shoulda'
Woulda'
Coulda'

I wonder how many people who lived under dictators thought, "If only we did something while we had the freedom to DO something".

Once the freedoms are gone, it becomes too late to "do" something about it.

The trick is to maintain freedoms from an over-reaching government while we have the ability to do so.

Are we safer with these draconian rules and laws?

No. Please explain how we are safer. How having the government record every thing we do makes us safer???

The Boston bombers got caught when some guy went out for a smoke and saw blood on his boat.
The shoe bomber got caught because someone saw him light his shoes on fire.
The time Square bomber got caught by a guy selling food from a cart.

posted on Jun, 8 2013 @ 04:27 PM
link   

Oh good god! Yes! Lets all sacrifice our freedoms so we can be safe from the terrorists!

Why if we were a perfect little police state, then we'd have NOTHING to fear!

Freedom comes with risks. If people become so cowardly that they can't handle those risks anymore, then they embrace the security that comes with a police-state.

And it looks like America is becoming a cowardly nation.

You can never, ever, ever have 100% freedom. That's a myth.

TPTB want you to believe that freedom is something that is given and can be taken away.
Freedom comes from the inside out not the outside in. Your freedom is something you are born with what you choose to do with it is another matter.

posted on Jun, 8 2013 @ 04:28 PM
link   

Im sorry.

This is exactly the thing that won him his election. BIG BAD Government, and Warmongers who didn't care about America or its Constitution. He was going to change ALL of that. He was going to be transparent.

Hes done NOTHING, but make it worse for Americans all in the name of keeping America "safe".

I loath this President. He doesn't care about Anything. He is exactly like Bush, and those who he said he was against.

Man, every day there's something new, and disgusting coming out of this Administration.

I hope those who voted for him, are happy with having their freedoms raped worse then our last President. Good for you folks. Well done. (Sarcasm)

posted on Jun, 8 2013 @ 04:41 PM
link   

I wonder how many people who lived under dictators thought, "If only we did something while we had the freedom to DO something".

Once the freedoms are gone, it becomes too late to "do" something about it.

The trick is to maintain freedoms from an over-reaching government while we have the ability to do so.

So you are admitting that we haven't really lost any significant freedoms now. You are just worried about possible, potential, "maybe" loss of significant freedoms in the sometime, possible future? Well, you can spend all your time obsessing about that fear - let me know when it actually amounts to something real.

Are we safer with these draconian rules and laws?

No. Please explain how we are safer. How having the government record every thing we do makes us safer???

The Boston bombers got caught when some guy went out for a smoke and saw blood on his boat.
The shoe bomber got caught because someone saw him light his shoes on fire.
The time Square bomber got caught by a guy selling food from a cart.

Well, obviously the government does NOT record everything we do (another myth), because if they did, they would have caught the bombers. What draconian rules and laws are you talking about? Are you talking about airport security? Admittedly some pretty silly procedures (the Israeli airports do it much better, but are much stricter), but not a major loss of our freedoms. We can still fly where ever we want, and we have the freedom to not fly at all if we so choose. Are you talking about rules and laws that say we can't kill one another or steal from one another? No, you're right - we don't have the freedom to do those things. Sorry.

posted on Jun, 8 2013 @ 04:53 PM
link   

So you are admitting that we haven't really lost any significant freedoms now. You are just worried about possible, potential, "maybe" loss of significant freedoms in the sometime, possible future? Well, you can spend all your time obsessing about that fear - let me know when it actually amounts to something real.

The government is always trying to encroach on our freedoms. They may call it a "modest encroachment", but it is still an encroachment.

Some may be happy with this. Apparently you are one of those that are okay with it.

I am not. I will fight tooth and nail any encroachment be it a democrat or republican in office.

It's not a political thing.

It's a freedom thing. You just don't get it.

posted on Jun, 8 2013 @ 04:59 PM
link   

That may be truth, but no political crap and corrupted administration have the right to erode what we have been guarantee by our own constitution, perhaps in other countries where dictators and tyranns flourish people have not rights but we do and still have

Or perhaps you support tyranny under dictatorships for us in the US,? because after all we can not have 100% freedom, then again answer me this, how much percentage of freedom you think we deserve?

posted on Jun, 8 2013 @ 05:00 PM
link   

Wow if we want to really quible over this I purpose this. We start denying access to the states from any person from a Muslim country, since that is where these terrorists come from right? That way the freedoms of our actual citizens trumps that of any potential threats. We wouldn't need to have the molestations of the TSA. Then we can throw in actually having a immigration policy so that we are protected from potential miscreants from Mexico and other countries. You see when you start trumpeting how there is no 100% freedom we can start eliminating the freedoms we grant non-citizens and start actually start tipping the balance back to the actual citizens of the USA. SO WHAT IF WE OFFEND ANOTHER COUNTRY? Our gov't needs to worry more about us the ones [at least some of us] who elected them! The trail of wrong doing by this administration is there ifyou care to look. Obama gets to stand on his own merits or lack of now. But it seems that blaming Bush is the only way some people can not give the man the scrutiny he deserves, being too caught up in his self created greatness is my guess as to why.

posted on Jun, 8 2013 @ 05:06 PM
link   

The government is always trying to encroach on our freedoms. They may call it a "modest encroachment", but it is still an encroachment.

Some may be happy with this. Apparently you are one of those that are okay with it.

I am not. I will fight tooth and nail any encroachment be it a democrat or republican in office.

Ahhh yes. The "government". That multi-limbed, multi-faced, yet one-minded monster. I remember when my cousin was a little boy and he saw the movie "The Blob". He saw the scene when the blob goes into the movie theater and attacks everyone. He got a little confused on who the monster was, and after the movie, he said he was scared that the "theater" was going to get him. We tried to explain that the theater wasn't the problem -- most everyone in the theater was good, it was just the blob that was bad, but he never did get it.

Unlike some other countries, our government has enough checks and balances to prevent any major loss of freedoms. The only time we need to worry is if we completely do away with all those checks and balances. I don't see that happening now, or anytime soon.

posted on Jun, 8 2013 @ 05:11 PM
link   
I love how he says that as if any encroachment into our private lives is perfectly OK.

What's next, a "modest" proposal?

posted on Jun, 8 2013 @ 05:45 PM
link   

Originally posted by Wrabbit2000
reply to post by XPLodER

You are aware that Barack Obama is over 4 years as the President and into his second term at this point, right?

Who started this is interesting for context but if Obama doesn't own his own programs after he's started his SECOND term, are we simply saying the Government is too big for him to handle? If so, was Bush that better a man than he, to be assumed to have that control and blame for everything Obama doesn't?

What's rather foolish, in my view, is blaming the last guy in any way that even begins to suggest a pass for the current guy..into his FIFTH YEAR of running the very same programs at expanded levels. Bush may well have things to answer for....but over 4 years of down payments means Obama owns this baby, IMO. Obama alone. No one else.

That would be why we're all kinda looking at where the buck stops, because Obama is the top and he is the current Commander and Chief. If control isn't his, then whose is it? There isn't anyone else around to claim it, that's for sure.

Politicians change, policies do not.
Need I go further?

posted on Jun, 8 2013 @ 06:20 PM
link   
reply to post by beezzer

Shoulda' Woulda' Coulda'

Musical interlude for ya:

I would have thought the people on this site were smarter than they obviously are with all the blame game going around. I guess taking one imaginary side over the other is easier than admitting truth, or even recognizing truth, even when it's biting them in their arse.

Now to go totally OT, I wonder if this will work next season in the NFL. "But, Ref, It was only modest encroachment".

I gotta go now and pull this baseball bat out of my rear end that the government has put there. I'm sure they will stick more crap up there so I better make some room.

posted on Jun, 8 2013 @ 06:24 PM
link   

Ahhh yes. The "government". That multi-limbed, multi-faced, yet one-minded monster. I remember when my cousin was a little boy and he saw the movie "The Blob". He saw the scene when the blob goes into the movie theater and attacks everyone. He got a little confused on who the monster was, and after the movie, he said he was scared that the "theater" was going to get him. We tried to explain that the theater wasn't the problem -- most everyone in the theater was good, it was just the blob that was bad, but he never did get it.

Unlike some other countries, our government has enough checks and balances to prevent any major loss of freedoms. The only time we need to worry is if we completely do away with all those checks and balances. I don't see that happening now, or anytime soon.

I couldn't disagree with you more about our check and balances system. It is as dysfunctional as Hell. All 3 branches of government have been taking their turns shredding the Bill of Rights.

Not lost any significant freedoms? What is significant to you?

You get arrested for taking a toy gun to the park to play with your kid. Kids getting suspended for: talking to her friends about playing with a bubble gun or mentioning the word "gun" on a bus.If a deaf child's signs his name & it looks too much like the shape of gun it's a big problem

We have lost the right to know what crap is in the "food" we buy.

What about indefinite detention? shooting US citizens with drones? can't even have a protest near a politician? asked to spy on your neighbors?

Privacy? - having all your digitized communications listened to and recorded by A.I.

What is it going to take to wake people up to the freedoms they lose on a daily basis? A midnight ride to a FEMA camp? I read new modest encroachments on a daily basis. Taken piecemeal it may look insignificant. Look at the big picture and it looks like a police state unfolding, one modest encroachment at a time.

We only are aware of the iceberg's tip. What is hidden is the monster you mock us for seeing. You see, he is wearing a mask and looks oh so harmless and helpful, like a serial killer offering to help you put your groceries in your car. Sustainable development - what a great idea, not.

Jackie Chan was right about our (US) government.

Further reading:

Scorecard: How Many Rights Have Americans REALLY Lost?
www.washingtonsblog.com...

Steppenwolf "Monster" lyrics
www.azlyrics.com...

posted on Jun, 8 2013 @ 07:02 PM
link   
So it is an encroachment.

I would expect that sort of weasel talk from an apologetic dictator in a foreign country. That flavor of abuse comes from the mouths of liars and cheats.

It was just a little push to put her back in line.
It's just a small amount of money taken from the register.
It was just one glass/line/kiss.

Classic bull from abusers.

Don't feel bad, it's just a little impeachment. A modest request. We all know that it wasn't meant to last forever.

posted on Jun, 8 2013 @ 07:44 PM
link   
reply to post by beezzer

Agreed again. It must be a thing with Rabbits. I just can't find disagreement with ya!

I'd rather die by a terrorist attack at some younger age...whenever fate would have it for me, than live to 140 in a version of Police State that makes 1984 look like a tale of freedom and warmth.

There is a balance of course...but they've blown so far beyond what reasonable people could call a balance to the level of threat and in such a long term, even perpetual way? It's beyond wrong.

posted on Jun, 8 2013 @ 08:11 PM
link   

Originally posted by XPLodER
does any one here realise this was set up 7 years ago,
under bush jr?

so hating on obama for spying is assbackwards,
he inherited the program from a republican president passed through a republican house.

the spying IS wrong,
so is blaming the wrong person to score political points.

dont let you hatred for Obama cloud the facts here,
he is only continuing spying started by bush.

xploder

You have to remember, this it ATS, whatever Bush did, or any Republican did is either OK or greeted with the same silence these ATS Republicans are clamoring on about "Obama Apologists" HOWEVER, when a Democrat does it or continues it, then these same Republicans ( I WON'T say Tea party, Libertarian, Green Party etc. for all the Republicans who are too ashamed to admit they are Republicans) then they claim it is Anti-American

Yes, This IS a reprehensible act, but let's stop the partisan, my team is better than yours bull crap. If you won't complain about a member of your own party doing the same thing then shut the hell up.

(thinking that since this seems to be an anti conservative rant, will be disposed of as "off topic" in 3...2...1..)

posted on Jun, 8 2013 @ 08:18 PM
link   
reply to post by mymymy

I been here for a long long time,criticized Bush the same way I am criticizingiObama, because I voted for each of them in their first term, but once I saw the crap and corruption of them I didn't a second time.

Is not longer any division of what parties are about, they are the same corrupted crap over and over again.

edit on 8-6-2013 by marg6043 because: (no reason given)

top topics

<< 2  3  4    6  7 >>

join