It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Obama: Privacy Invasions 'Modest Encroachments'

page: 4
<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 8 2013 @ 06:11 AM
link   
The Patriot Act was the "Obamacare" of the Bush Administration.

There is no argument there.

But when Obama renewed the Patriot Act in 2011, he took ownership of it. He could have NOT signed it. He could have done something different.

But he didn't.

So let's let Bush go to bed now. Obama signed over ownership of the Patriot Act.

posted on Jun, 8 2013 @ 06:16 AM
link   

Originally posted by xuenchen
Obama: Privacy Invasions 'Modest Encroachments'

I couldn't believe it when I heard him say that. Then I thought ... 'yep, it's Obama, he'll spew anything, and there are still some O-bot devotees who adore him and will buy it'.

I demand that Mr. Transparency release his college transcripts and his college applications so we can see if he checked off the 'america' or 'foreign student' box. I wonder if Obama will mind our 'modest encroachment' that we do in the name of national security.

posted on Jun, 8 2013 @ 06:59 AM
link   
reply to post by beezzer

I think it goes like this,.....ah, these are ah, just modest ah, encroachments. I thought Bush had a hard time having a thought. People where are my papers, I cant talk without my script ah wait I mean papers. Wow !

posted on Jun, 8 2013 @ 07:43 AM
link   
Until I see legislation beginning in the House meant to repeal some or all parts of the Patriot Act, NDAA, Military Commissions Act and other nefarious legislation that is detrimental to privacy issues all the yelling and hand wringing towards President Obama is entirely moot.

Just another way for one side to pit itself against another and until people start to realize that it is the government as a whole that is responsible for this we will stay divided.

Too bad I feel it is too late since people are too entrenched in their "team politics" to effect any change. No matter who is in charge We The People lose as illustrated greatly by the previous and current administrations.

In a sick sense I can't wait till the GOP takes all branches of government at the federal level and it will remain business as usual. It will go back to the days of the apologists calling those that are dissenting unpatriotic muslim lovers that hate America like the days of old.

My arms are tired from being up in an uproar. Enjoy the surveillance state half of the people support when their "team" is in charge.
edit on 8-6-2013 by Terminal1 because: clarity

posted on Jun, 8 2013 @ 07:55 AM
link   

Originally posted by Terminal1
Just another way for one side to pit itself against another ...

I think you'll find that most ATS people agree that Bush43 started it .. and Obama made it worse. Most people .. not all ... but most on ATS are able to see that it was both a (R) and a (D) effort to get to this point.

posted on Jun, 8 2013 @ 08:14 AM
link   

Originally posted by FlyersFan

Originally posted by Terminal1
Just another way for one side to pit itself against another ...

I think you'll find that most ATS people agree that Bush43 started it .. and Obama made it worse. Most people .. not all ... but most on ATS are able to see that it was both a (R) and a (D) effort to get to this point.

I understand. I wasn't a member of ATS during the times of President Bush so I can't really say how members here reacted. I could probably research the ATS archived posts but what is the use? I used to be GOP and when we took that turn into Iraq and was hearing statements from SoD Rumsfeld that Iraq would take 6 days, 6 weeks but surely not 6 months I was like.. hey wait a minute. I left the GOP after Senator McConnel sent me a request for donations and I sent a letter back voicing my disapproval.

Thing is, if Romney would have won and the GOP taken the senate I would wager the script would be run again where I would be called a "liberal" (I'm actually a moderate) followed by a host of other labelling on not supporting Romney as POTUS. I have seen this movie before maybe not by ATS members but amongst family and friends. I STILL to this day argue it all this is systemic amongst people close to me and I get the same old same old, if the GOP was in charge things would be different, President Obama eats babies kind of arguments.

IMHO it is too late and the system is self preserving. Even if movements like the Tea Party and Occupy found common ground and protests broke out in the streets it would be viewed as anti-government protests bordering on terrorism and the mechanisms are in place to defeat the movement.

I may just look into the archives here just to see what the "older" members said about the many "Acts" that were passed as a mental exercise but in reality what can be done? The system has these legislations dug in like a tick and the GOP holds the House. So until I see movement of repeals in the corridors of power nothing will change no matter what party you adhere to.

IMHO it is too late... even with the current scandals sides are being chosen and ire directed at a single entity when the entire system is corrupted and dug in like a tick.

posted on Jun, 8 2013 @ 08:19 AM
link   
Arguing about who started what at this point is base level thought.

The fact of the matter is, there are people in government, going back to Bush, that made strides towards turning this country into a police state.

The fact of the matter is, the Police State is already here.

It is too late. Do not depend on this system to fix itself.

The system, the federal government, congress, supreme court, president...all of them are owned by hands that you do not see. Hands that have pillaged your earnings, and your neighbors earnings.

It's too late.

posted on Jun, 8 2013 @ 08:41 AM
link   
Barack Obama makes everything up as he goes along. He licks a finger, tests the wind, and sets sail.

Obviously, the citizens of the United States are just being a bunch of Nervous Nellie's and they need to relax, take a rest and just let the professionals do their jobs, because, there's clearly nothing to see here. /sarcasm.

posted on Jun, 8 2013 @ 08:57 AM
link   
Is no how it started we already know, that but how Obama lie about protecting US citizens and "no more spying on innocent American citizens" those were his words in one of his speeches during his campaign in 2007, I already posted the link, he is self incriminating himself.

He is guilty, lier, lier pans on fire
edit on 8-6-2013 by marg6043 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 8 2013 @ 09:35 AM
link   

Originally posted by supremecommander
Arguing about who started what at this point is base level thought.

The fact of the matter is, there are people in government, going back to Bush, that made strides towards turning this country into a police state.

The fact of the matter is, the Police State is already here.

It is too late. Do not depend on this system to fix itself.

The system, the federal government, congress, supreme court, president...all of them are owned by hands that you do not see. Hands that have pillaged your earnings, and your neighbors earnings.

It's too late.

These 'steps' go much farther back than Bush. You could probably trace them as far back as Wilson, or even further. Each administration since the first world war, regardless of party affiliation has taken steps to bring what we are currently witnessing to fruition.

In my own opinion, the United States needs a reboot. Removal of all career politicians is necessary and the stripping and restoration of the Constitution is required as well.

The party system needs to go as well, as it does nothing other than pit the people against each other while the law makers sit back and watch the show, while occasionally changing the rules during the noisy parts.

If we continue on the path that we currently find ourselves on, nothing will change or improve, since we will only be playing within the rule set dictated to us by those that are conspiring against us.
edit on 6/8/2013 by ProfessorChaos because: typos

posted on Jun, 8 2013 @ 10:34 AM
link   
reply to post by XPLodER

Well, I have to say, you're one of the more creative on here for finding ways of blaming Obama's current failings and policy disasters on Bush.

If you've missed it...the dozens of times I've said it over the last months, then I'll say it one more time for your benefit. Yes ... Bush started much of what Obama has run a field goal with and is still building and expanding on. Yes.., Bush really has a lot of answer for. In fact, much of what I believe and what I know Bush has to answer for are things the media still hasn't mentioned, let alone anyone here. That rabbit hole still goes much deeper than even you'd elude to in the effort to deflect on modern day culpability.

The point is, as it always is with the red herring of Bush thrown in? Bush is a FORMER President. Obama is a SITTING President. By your logic, we should be up in arms at President Truman. After all, HE actually started all this by forming the Central Intelligence Agency from the Office of Strategic Services in 1947. It's HIS fault! He began the whole chain of events which led to what we see today. :shk:

Now if you don't mind too much...I'm going to focus my attention on the present and who is running our nation today. Not who ran it over 4 years ago and may well have started every single program you talk about. Why? It's absolutely irrelevant. You could put Bush in prison for life and it would change.......ABSOLUTELY NOTHING. Bush doesn't make decisions today, Obama does. That means, in the here and now, there is but one man the buck stops at the desk of. There is but one leader to blame. Now. Today. In 2013.

I hope that's a little clearer for my position and why I'm not keeping my head in the past for events and actions of a man who will never be a factor in American policy again..........to focus on the man who is shaping it, in real time, as we type, every day.

posted on Jun, 8 2013 @ 01:19 PM
link   
just chaps my hide that the administation can keep get caught with its hands in the preverbiale cookie jar and come out with asine statements..'modest encroachment?!?' a secret program to grab as much info as possible...

and then this little gem:

"If people can’t trust not only the executive branch but also don’t trust Congress, and don’t trust federal judges, to make sure that we’re abiding by the Constitution with due process and rule of law, then we’re going to have some problems here."

what is he REALLY saying here??? sorta like bush and his '"Either you are with us, or you are with the terrorists."..we know what happened then....so fast forward to barry saying ..were gunna have some problems here'....ah, could be an understatement....

has he..sorta..thrown the gauntlet down?? he's got 3 years left..what has he got to lose, they have guns and ammo and armored vehicles and drones and secret programs and unconstitutional laws and control of the media and militarized police forces...i mean, what more is needed???

posted on Jun, 8 2013 @ 01:40 PM
link   
I just can't wait... and I mean I can't wait until a conservative president gets elected (rubs hands together with glee, and a malicious glint in eyes). It's going to be sooooooo much fun. I'll start 10 threads a day just like xuenchen does - bashing the conservative president. Bash, bash, bash...ooooohhh, fun fun fun.

I agree with the posters who say that this kind of stuff has been happening for a very long time. I'll wager even letters were intercepted back in Lincoln's time. It is what it is, and it has nothing specifically to do with Obama. We're still here, we still get to publically bash our president, etc., etc., etc.

posted on Jun, 8 2013 @ 02:34 PM
link   
I'm surprised this leak of information about the PRISM technology is such a surprise to the members of AboveTopSecret since many members are armchair experts. I do find it ridiculously silly how upset people are over this. As President Obama said you cannot have 100 per cent security and 100 per cent privacy. The government have already said the storing of electronic records has prevented terrorist attacks. Honestly, people need to realise some things the government(s) do may not be moral but do they protect people? Yes.
edit on 8-6-2013 by ProfessorT because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 8 2013 @ 02:41 PM
link   
reply to post by kaylaluv

I agree with the posters who say that this kind of stuff has been happening for a very long time. I'll wager even letters were intercepted back in Lincoln's time. It is what it is, and it has nothing specifically to do with Obama. We're still here, we still get to publically bash our president, etc., etc., etc.

I actually agree also !

But we are in the era of Obama right NOW.

Obama promised and promised repeatedly that this would stop.

No Dice.

And of course they want us to be "free" to bash. etc. etc.
That way they can I.D. all their political and economic "enemies".
He and His "staff" worry most about the ones who stay silent.
They do their best to flush out all the opinions and then they proceed......

How many past Presidents have promised to stop privacy infringements ?

posted on Jun, 8 2013 @ 03:06 PM
link   
reply to post by xuenchen

So you expect them to do absolutely nothing to try and identify and stop any potential terrorists? Nothing? Nothing is what Bush did, which is why 9/11 happened. Oh, yeah I forgot, you all think there is no such thing as terrorists - they're all false flag events with actors.

posted on Jun, 8 2013 @ 03:09 PM
link   

F U Obama. The privacy invasion being illegally committed already is not modest. Its pretty effin far from reasonable. Why even have a country when every thing that it stood for is being desecrated. I wouldn't piss on you if you were on fire. This govt disgusts me.

posted on Jun, 8 2013 @ 03:26 PM
link   

Look around the outrage is already slipping away the mainstream media is a arm of the government and did just what they were told to. They ran the stories for a few days hot and heavy and now it will slowly slip away until it is gone like a fart in the wind.

The right ladies and gents our liberty and freedom is nothing more then a fart in the wind. And you had better believe this was all planned and organized for the least amount of damage control.

posted on Jun, 8 2013 @ 03:47 PM
link   

Originally posted by kaylaluv

So you expect them to do absolutely nothing to try and identify and stop any potential terrorists? Nothing? Nothing is what Bush did, which is why 9/11 happened. Oh, yeah I forgot, you all think there is no such thing as terrorists - they're all false flag events with actors.

Oh good god! Yes! Lets all sacrifice our freedoms so we can be safe from the terrorists!

Why if we were a perfect little police state, then we'd have NOTHING to fear!

Freedom comes with risks. If people become so cowardly that they can't handle those risks anymore, then they embrace the security that comes with a police-state.

And it looks like America is becoming a cowardly nation.

posted on Jun, 8 2013 @ 03:52 PM
link   

Originally posted by beezzer

Originally posted by kaylaluv

Oh good god! Yes! Lets all sacrifice our freedoms so we can be safe from the terrorists!

Why if we were a perfect little police state, then we'd have NOTHING to fear!

Freedom comes with risks. If people become so cowardly that they can't handle those risks anymore, then they embrace the security that comes with a police-state.

And it looks like America is becoming a cowardly nation.

You can never, ever, ever have 100% freedom. That's a myth.

top topics

<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join