It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

How Science Became A New Religion

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 8 2013 @ 01:55 AM
link   
reply to post by Phage

They do tho lol!!! Like I said my friend only does programming and even he cannot talk about what actually goes on, when I told him that NASA is a taxed civilian program he told me that that the taxes only pay for the electricity!! I cant get a quote but if I could I would # lol!!!

posted on Jun, 8 2013 @ 01:56 AM
link   
reply to post by Phage

Have you worked for them? Have you been to space?

posted on Jun, 8 2013 @ 01:58 AM
link   
reply to post by Kaone

They do tho lol!!! Like I said my friend only does programming and even he cannot talk about what actually goes on,

Your friend can't talk about what goes on. That means NASA lies? I don't get the connection.

If you mean by "civilian sponsored" that it's paid for with taxes, you're right. Do you expect the government to make public everything they do because they are "civilian sponsored". You don't think that NASA does anything that involves national security? You think everything they do should be public knowledge?

edit on 6/8/2013 by Phage because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 8 2013 @ 02:00 AM
link   
reply to post by Kaone

I don't think I've denied that.

In fact, what is unbelievable today may be tomorrow's science, and perhaps that is how science has always worked.

However, there are some debates that also just deny reality for the sake of it under the label of "science".
Not everything that calls itself "scientific" is actually science.

So, we have to make a distinction here between the proof we have, and whether people choose to accept or deny it, and the possibility of totally new outcomes in future.

Whatever the case, this is quite distinct from how religion operates.
Here we firstly must believe (based on nothing), and science should only exist to validate some thumb-sucked superstitions.

edit on 8-6-2013 by halfoldman because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 8 2013 @ 02:00 AM
link   
reply to post by Kaone

Have you worked for them? Have you been to space?

No and no. But this conversation is seriously off topic.

posted on Jun, 8 2013 @ 02:10 AM
link   
reply to post by Phage

Phage
are you serious? Yes anything NASA does should be public knowledge as its in the public's best interest where their taxes go!

posted on Jun, 8 2013 @ 02:14 AM
link   
If you mean by "civilian sponsored" that it's paid for with taxes, you're right. Do you expect the government to make public everything they do because they are "civilian sponsored". You don't think that NASA does anything that involves national security?
Yes they are under the NSF act since 1958 The National Aeronautics and Space Administration (NASA) is the agency of the United States government that is responsible for the nation's civilian space program and for aeronautics and aerospace research.
President Dwight D. Eisenhower established the National Aeronautics and Space Administration (NASA) in 1958[5] with a distinctly civilian (rather than military) orientation encouraging peaceful applications in space science. The National Aeronautics and Space Act was passed on July 29, 1958, replacing its predecessor, the National Advisory Committee for Aeronautics (NACA). The agency became operational on October 1, 1958.[6][7]
Since that time, most U.S. space exploration efforts have been led by NASA, including the Apollo moon-landing missions, the Skylab space station, and later the Space Shuttle. Currently, NASA is supporting the International Space Station and is overseeing the development of the Orion Multi-Purpose Crew Vehicle and Commercial Crew vehicles. The agency is also responsible for the Launch Services Program (LSP) which provides oversight of launch operations and countdown management for unmanned NASA launches. Most recently, NASA announced a new Space Launch System that it said would take the agency's astronauts farther into space than ever before and provide the cornerstone for future human space exploration efforts by the U.S.[8][9][10]
NASA science is focused on better understanding Earth through the Earth Observing System,[11] advancing heliophysics through the efforts of the Science Mission Directorate's Heliophysics Research Program,[12] exploring bodies throughout the Solar System with advanced robotic missions such as New Horizons,[13] and researching astrophysics topics, such as the Big Bang, through the Great Observatories and associated programs.[14] NASA shares data with various national and international organizations such as from the Greenhouse Gases Observing Satellite.

posted on Jun, 8 2013 @ 02:17 AM
link   
AND ALL those agencies have not heard from NASA since that day? Why is that?

posted on Jun, 8 2013 @ 02:19 AM
link   
reply to post by Kaone

I don't agree.
www.space.com...

posted on Jun, 8 2013 @ 02:20 AM
link   
reply to post by Kaone

All what agencies?

posted on Jun, 8 2013 @ 02:21 AM
link   
Keep giving me NASA sponsored agencies! When are you going to have a mind of your own?

posted on Jun, 8 2013 @ 02:23 AM
link   
reply to post by Phage

Phage am I supposed to hold your hand like a child? Go search for yourself what agencies work for NASA

posted on Jun, 8 2013 @ 02:24 AM
link   
reply to post by Kaone

Please tell me which agencies should have heard from NASA and have not.

edit on 6/8/2013 by Phage because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 8 2013 @ 02:35 AM
link   
reply to post by FriedBabelBroccoli

I have read your posts in other threads and know why you don't like any religion. Just because some religions don't approve of the sexual appetites of others does not mean they are bunch of brainwashing schizophrenics talking to air.

So now my views are stereotyped because I'm gay?
Actually I like spirituality and religion very much, especially the music and chants.

Neither did I call all religious people "brainwashing schizophrenics".
There is no doubt however that religion is used for mind-control.

And from a scientific point of view (the aim of the thread, which at least partly encourages the distinction between science and religion by equating science with religion) they are praying to the air.
If not, show me the God they are praying to.
Let us observe Him and weigh Him ... but no?
Thousands of years of praying to these Gods, but still nothing but air?
Oh well, so scientifically it is just air.

However, I did not say that science answers all the questions of life and existence.
These are philosophical questions that led some great minds to science (even if through the heretical beliefs of their time).

However, scientifically there is no proof of a God that people pray to, or such a being for which preachers or god-men collect money so that they can buy themselves something nice.
The exploitation in this is immoral, and I don't have to be gay to point that out.

posted on Jun, 8 2013 @ 02:37 AM
link   
reply to post by Phage

Are you serious, you think That I would know...

posted on Jun, 8 2013 @ 02:40 AM
link   
reply to post by Kaone

Are you serious, you think That I would know...

But you know they are there. Right? That's what I thought.
See ya, kid.

posted on Jun, 8 2013 @ 02:44 AM
link   
OP may I suggest the it is not that science has become a religion itself but has come under the influence of another widespread religious ideology of sorts.

For example Mormons hold many influential positions in governmental agencies with far reaching control over official policies via donations, grants, and contracts.

The founder of Mormonism was made a 33rd degree Freemason on sight, an almost unheard of practice. Many are aware of the great influence Freemasonry has had over America since its conception. Interestingly both of these religions share a core system of beliefs in line with Gnosticism, enlightenment/ illuminism and other such systems of faith.

Of great importance is that most of these religions where heavily involved in the original development of modern astronomy.

11 Surprising Things You Didn't Know About Mormons
www.businessinsider.com...

The CIA and the FBI have Mormon recruitment programs.
The apparent incorruptibility of Mormons' moral righteousness make them ideal candidates for the nation's law enforcement and intelligence agencies.

Mormons are disproportionately represented in the CIA. A recruiter told the Salt Lake Tribune that returned Mormon missionaries are valued for their foreign language skills, abstinence from drugs and alcohol, and respect for authority.

. . .

In 2010 Goldman Sachs hired 31 grads from Brigham Young University — the same number hired from Wharton.

The church's entrepreneurial spirit has fostered some powerful Mormon businessmen, including presidential hopefuls Mitt Romney and Jon Huntsman, Jr., (whose father invented McDonald's clamshell Big Mac containers). Other famous Mormon executives include Jet Blue founder David Neeleman, Credit Suisse CEO Eric Varvel, and former Citigroup CFO Gary Crittenden.

Mormons hold a disproportionate number of top jobs at several major companies, including Marriott, American Express, Dell, Lufthansa, Fisher-Price, and Deloitte.

The clean-cut optimism, honesty and family values of the Latter-day Saints also make them ideal politicians. In addition to Romney and Huntsman, 15 U.S. senators and congressional representatives are Mormons, including Senate Majority Leader Harry Reid, a rare Mormon Democrat.

NASA even has famous luciferians such as Jack W. Parsons who is reported to have forced his team to sing a "hymn to Pan" during launches.

Its just a hypothesis and would need quite a bit of testing to verify any of the claims.

posted on Jun, 8 2013 @ 02:48 AM
link   
reply to post by halfoldman

Unfortunately for you and your little theory is that scientific proofs come from proving theories false and science has yet to devise a method for testing such a hypothesis.

Then there are always examples such as the shroud of Turin which still defies the current model of physics.

You are generalizing all religions as differing forms of Christianity and I will inform you that not all religions "pray to the air."

I just focused on the personal grudge you hold against a certain religious dogma which is quite apparent when reading your posts.
edit on 8-6-2013 by FriedBabelBroccoli because: 101

And if you really want to get smart with me and talk about concepts of the spirit then I am more than willing.

As I informed you earlier religions deal with spirituality which resides in the consciousness. Now are you going to tell me that your thoughts are real physical matter which can be weighed and measured? No, they are experienced, hence the reason I linked you to the "hard problem" of consciousness.

You cannot weigh and idea by material means but you can measure activity taking place in regions of the brain. Well religious experiences can be measured in the same manner.

When you hear a beautiful piece of music which can bring you to tears can you prove that it is the vibrations traveling through the air and triggering a series of chemical reactions ultimately resulting in the activation of your tear ducts.

How do you explain the fact that similar vibrations would not illicit the same response in another individual of nearly identical genetic make-up?

Or are you going to excuse yourself from the issue citing irreducible complexity?
edit on 8-6-2013 by FriedBabelBroccoli because: 101

posted on Jun, 8 2013 @ 03:04 AM
link   
reply to post by FriedBabelBroccoli

No, my theory comes from simple observation.
Show me the God, instead of just air.
Let us measure and physically validate that God.
I'm not saying God doesn't exist, I'm simply viewing it from current science.

How does the shroud of Turin amaze science?
I'd love to hear some debate, although it's not my area of expertise.
From what I've seen it's an old but pretty crude relic.

I think you are jumping to conclusions about me, and while you may have followed some posts in response to very harsh fundamentalism, you clearly haven't followed my posts for a very long time.

I'd also like answers to some of these questions.
Atheists have asked ISKCON and many religious groups to show them God.
But they haven't seen Him yet.

edit on 8-6-2013 by halfoldman because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 8 2013 @ 04:22 AM
link   

Originally posted by FriedBabelBroccoli
OP may I suggest the it is not that science has become a religion itself but has come under the influence of another widespread religious ideology of sorts.

Now I think of it, yeah, you may be right, it does make sense. I remember when they fired some people at NASA because they wouldn't fit the NASA's belief system. I agree with you, an ideology is behind many governmental agencies. I'm in fact investigating that area right now.

top topics

<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join