It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

3 killed as medical helicopter crashes in elementary school parking lot in Kentucky

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 7 2013 @ 10:32 AM
link   

3 killed as medical helicopter crashes in elementary school parking lot in Kentucky

usne ws.nbcnews.com

Three people were killed when a medical helicopter crashed in Kentucky late Thursday night, officials said.

The Air Evac Lifeteam aircraft crashed in the parking lot of an elementary school at about 11:30 p.m. ET in Clay County shortly after transferring a patient to a hospital in Laurel County, NBC station WLEX-TV reported.

The school was not damaged, but a power line was hit. Witnesses said there was fog in the area at the time.
(visit the link for the full news article)

Related News Links:
abcnews.go.com
www.foxnews.com
[url=http://www.wlky.com/news/local-news/kentucky-news/3-killed-in-medical-helicopter-crash/-/9718420/20462298/-/gl0th9z/-/index.html]www.wlky.com[/ url]

posted on Jun, 7 2013 @ 10:32 AM
link   
I think a moment of silence is warranted to acknowledge the heroic nature of these crew members lives....many of them begin in the military.

It is unknown just how many lives these people have saved throughout their careers. Every one of these guys I've met have always been impressive people, it takes a special kind to do what they do.

God Bless and Godspeed.

usne ws.nbcnews.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Jun, 7 2013 @ 10:51 AM
link   
AGAIN??!!

It's like the second time in what, not even two months...

Sad...

They truly are heroes and well...

posted on Jun, 7 2013 @ 10:56 AM
link   
reply to post by FrankLY

Medevac aircraft have the highest crash rates of anything flying today. Especially the helicopters. They put a lot of wear and tear on them in a short period of time, and both the helicopters and aircraft tend to fly low, and in bad weather a lot.

posted on Jun, 7 2013 @ 11:36 AM
link   
reply to post by Zaphod58

I didn't know that. Thanks for letting me/us know.

You'd think that they would put more attention to something so essential in some areas. Where I come from, we have lots of wide wooden areas and that helicopter (we were lucky enough to have one) was sometimes, the only thing available to reach the nearest town hospital. During the long winters, some roads were closed due to snow so no ambulance could get to some places.

I now live close to Ottawa, Canada and I know that the Children Hospital of Eastern Ontario (CHEO) relies on one as well. I just don't want to imagine something happening with the helicopter while transporting a kid...

I like to think that if we take lets say, 1% or 2% of the annual budget allowed to military stuffs and spend it towards improving those choppers, lots of lives would be saved.

That was my two cents.

posted on Jun, 7 2013 @ 12:31 PM
link   
Sad news. Much respect to those med-evac aircrew persons.

After getting out of the Army and before starting my civilian Navy career I worked with helicopter crop dusters for a couple years. It is hard to imagine how any type of flying, outside of combat, can be more dangerous or put more wear and stress on an aircraft. Amazingly we had a very good safety record.

Spraying rows of celery and other crops, so low to the ground and maneuvering around the windbreak rows of tall eucalyptus trees can be extremely dangerous. Perhaps that the danger never leaves one's mind for a split-second forces one to stay alert to every minor sound and detail. Still, despite the danger, it is not heroic duty as the med-evac airmen. Deepest regards to them and their families.

edit on 7-6-2013 by Erongaricuaro because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 9 2013 @ 09:13 PM
link   
Hmm. This is sad. I even live in KY and havent heard about this. I guess this shows the priority of news channels and reports around here. Mostly just hear about drugs and god. I feel for there families...

posted on Jun, 9 2013 @ 09:22 PM
link   
reply to post by AFewGoodWomen

I'm in Kentucky and my prayers go out for all who knew these three. One of my friend's sister was one of the EMT to respond to the crash and so I found out within minutes of it happening. I had an aunt who used to be part of a medevac crew and she was friends with a crew who were killed in a crash that happened 15 years or so ago. It's really sad. These people save lives, day in and day out. I guess most people just don't realize that these crews are putting their lives on the line to save others. Crashes happen but most people never expect it.
edit on 6/9/2013 by gemineye because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

join