It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Woman attempting to live on nothing but water and sunlight for 6 months

page: 6
<< 3  4  5   >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 14 2013 @ 11:46 PM
link   
how about live on coke for a full year in a pitch black room?

posted on Jun, 15 2013 @ 02:27 AM
link   

Originally posted by Gazrok
On her Facebook today....
Today my weight is 128.2 lbs

To put this into perspective, here are some other numbers that she's also posted...

Day 0: approx. 161.2 lbs ***
Day 7 : Has already lost 12 pounds.
Day 16: Has lost 16 pounds
Day 19: Has lost 20 pounds
Day 26: "down to 135.2 lbs"
Day 29: 133.2 lbs
Day 30: 131.6 lbs
Day 32: "130lbs. I still feel dizzy if I stand up quickly"
Day 34: She has decided to post her get out jail free excuse card:

I am asking for support; since the experiment will close down soon when I cannot pay for the space or phones. All my credit cards are full and unusable and I have $5 left in my life to spend!

Day 39: 129 lbs
Day 41: 128.2 lbs

*** Cant find an original starting mass, but since the day 19 number was about 1 pound per day, that means another 7 to get to the 135.2 figure on day 26. Being generous, I'll say only 6.
So her original starting weight would be something like 161.2 lbs.

Thriving, she is not.

On her Facebook today....
OK. Big update coming tomorrow.

Many people are hoping that this "big update" is that she finally turns on the webcams, as she promised at the start of all this, so people can finally check to see if she's cheating.

edit on 15-6-2013 by alfa1 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 15 2013 @ 03:08 AM
link   

Originally posted by thisguyrighthere

Originally posted by Vasa Croe

So...do these guys poop sunbeams?

Sure do. And on extra hot and sunny days the bowl is a blast of color.

Taste The Rainbow.

posted on Jun, 15 2013 @ 09:33 AM
link   
reply to post by alfa1

Here is an article about her in today's (Seattle Times) newspaper...

Link: seattletimes.com...

posted on Jun, 15 2013 @ 11:12 AM
link   
reply to post by caladonea

From the article, she is also drinking milk in her tea that she drinks daily, so not exactly food free.

When I did something similar to this, even a teaspoon of milk or maple syrup or any sort of food, made a whole lot of difference. She said she was tired and cold and almost gave up then a few days after was dancing around, she must have got energy from somewhere, as at after day 37 with no food at all she wouldn't be finding extra energy. Her body would be nearing complete exhaustion, she should stop her fast now.

posted on Jun, 16 2013 @ 08:01 PM
link   
Quitting time.

Blog: Day 44: Sunday 16th June
I want to let you know that at mid-day on Wednesday 19th June 1913, on the 47th day of the "Living On Light" experiment, I am going to conclude the experiment

her facebook page

And yet, she still believes in "living on light".
She says "the world is by no means ready to receive the information I am attempting to produce."

edit on 16-6-2013 by alfa1 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 16 2013 @ 08:08 PM
link   
reply to post by alfa1

Just a thought because she has not eaten wont she have big problems when she eats again?
Has she been having a poop? because If you don't poop you can have real medical troubles when you start to try and pass food again.
She is very silly but hey she lost 40lb.

posted on Jun, 16 2013 @ 08:23 PM
link   
reply to post by boymonkey74

She will have to eat little and gradually adding more and more each day, she has been taking vitamins and drinking milk and tea, it would have been more difficult and perhaps she wouldn't have gotten this far if she didn't.

There could be health implications of starvation, the obvious body eating itself and the diaphragm being too weak causing lack of breathing. Though she just talked incessantly for 15 minutes and appears not to be suffering all that much, she should be fine if she adjusts gradually to eating again and maintains vitamin and mineral levels, and fluids.

Her digestive system should be clear by now though she might find initial discomfort after eating solid food until her system adjusts properly but nothing major.

posted on Jun, 17 2013 @ 09:16 AM
link   
I still think she snookered folks. I know if I go a day without eating, by that evening, I'm going to have a terrible headache. I can only imagine if she ACTUALLY did go without food for days. Possible? Sure...but when you aren't used to it? Seems fishy.

posted on Jun, 17 2013 @ 10:06 AM
link   
Well if this can be proven to work, that you can get nourishment from the sun alone, Monsanto or someone else will try to say that they can charge people for it

posted on Jun, 17 2013 @ 10:55 AM
link   
reply to post by Gazrok

I have done this a few times, it is possible, but with a small amount of nourishment, like the fact she is drinking tea with milk. Milk is a food. She was also having vitamins, which helps. Perhaps she was also having sugar in her tea? If she was, then that is fuel.

On her facebook page video she did seem rather talkative and not as tired as would be expected if only drinking tea infused water and a small amount of milk for 47 days.

Seems silly that she spend $000 on video cameras but only got $50 from 'donations'. She could of had a packet of biscuits in her bathroom for all anyone knows.

posted on Jun, 17 2013 @ 12:43 PM
link   
reply to post by theabsolutetruth

That's just it. If such a person isn't truly watched 24/7, then it isn't a real experiment.

on the 47th day of the "Living On Light" experiment, I am going to conclude the experiment

I'm no mathematician, but I'm pretty sure 47 days does not equal 6 months. Then again, we knew that wasn't going to happen from the get-go. Still impressive (unless she actually had those biscuits in the bathroom).

posted on Jun, 17 2013 @ 09:59 PM
link   
done 30 days with not one piece of food would sit in the park for a hour with socks of on a bench dont knock it till you try it .

just like the old saying hardness is all in the mind but woe if i dont have a smoke

posted on Jun, 17 2013 @ 10:40 PM
link   

Then again, we knew that wasn't going to happen from the get-go.

What gets me is that she must have known right from the start she wouldnt make it.
The whole reason she stopped, so she says, is that she ran out of money to pay the phone bill.

But this is a with a food bill of zero dollars.

Surely then, she would normally have been in a situation (if she was ordinarilly buying food) that she would have known she'd be bust in only a week or so.

If you knew you'd be out of money in the next week or two, if you know that you're down to your last few dollars, is this a good time in your life to do a special 6 month experiment? Is this a good time in your life to be weak and where you would not be able to work?
Most people with brains would say "no".

posted on Jun, 17 2013 @ 11:29 PM
link   
At least she folded her cards and stopped. A lot of "breatharians" have been caught cheating. Because, really, you don't have any method of living on sunlight and water. If there's any organism that can subsist on photosynthesis, a person ain't it.

I suppose if you weighed 500 pounds coming into it, you might make a few weeks on stored pancakes.

posted on Jun, 18 2013 @ 10:20 PM
link   

I still think she snookered folks. I know if I go a day without eating, by that evening, I'm going to have a terrible headache. I can only imagine if she ACTUALLY did go without food for days. Possible? Sure...but when you aren't used to it? Seems fishy.

All humans are different and you should know that, you stated you get a headache when i don't even know exactly what it is since i have never had a headache in my life.

I remember i didn't ate for 2-3 days was just lying in bed after these 2-3 days i felt pretty much the same, if you would eat under your caloric maintance everyday you would feel only weak and lose strength and you won't have any other side-effects unless you stop eating/drinking. It is very possible to maintain the whole body for years with little food the only problem would be is that you will lose fat/muscle and if you would eat like 500-1000 ckal everyday your body would lose weight to this point where it would need around 500-1000 ckal to montain it which means you will be skinny with no strength but you can live.

I am an amateur bodybuilder so i am an expert in food/diets

posted on Jun, 19 2013 @ 01:02 AM
link   
reply to post by alfa1

The Nazis and North Koreans and many other cruel regimes have carried out this experiment many times before. It amazes me people can be so stupid.

In a 1997 article in the British Medical Journal, Michael Peel, senior medical examiner at the Medical Foundation for the Care of Victims of Torture, cites well-documented studies reporting survivals of other hunger strikers for 28, 36, 38 and 40 days.

www.scientificamerican.com...

Why don't these people just look up holocaust pictures?? Seems much easier to understand the end result here...

posted on Jun, 19 2013 @ 01:09 AM
link   

Originally posted by Bedlam
At least she folded her cards and stopped. A lot of "breatharians" have been caught cheating. Because, really, you don't have any method of living on sunlight and water. If there's any organism that can subsist on photosynthesis, a person ain't it.

I suppose if you weighed 500 pounds coming into it, you might make a few weeks on stored pancakes.

This stupid Inedia thing was popular a bit last year and came up a couple times. I looked at it best I could with a straight face. I even explained to the advocates in the forum, exactly what a human would need to survive.

I found research that proposed how a human could live off sunlight, but it involved genetically engineering chloroplasts all over their body and basically suntanning all day. (Not fun I bet!) And certainly not enlightening, unless you consider debilitating disfigurements in that respect. (Oh and even that wasn't enough...)

Link to post.

Original Post:

What this would require is some handy genetic engineering to let humans utilize the photosynthetic abilities of chloroplasts.

This means, however, that if we humans wanted chloroplasts for ourselves, or our livestock or pets, we would need to genetically modify the host animal to express proteins required for chloroplast function. It has been estimated that about 70-90% of the genes required for chloroplast function are provided by the plant’s genome (Martin et al, 1998).

Although it's interesting, it doesn't seem very feasible:

Photosynthetic efficiency (amount of light energy converted into usable chemical potential energy) typically is about 3-6%, so let’s assume 5. So the energy produced by a human being lying in the sun for an hour (3600 seconds) at midday would be:

400 J/s/m2 x (0.5 x 1.8m2) x 0.05 x 3600s = 64800J = 64.8kJ (or 15.43 kcal)

By comparison, an apple has about 400kJ of usable food energy. So an hour in the sun is about the same as a sixth of an apple. The daily energy requirements for a human being sit around 10,000 kJ per day, so that’s going to require 150 hours per day of sitting in the sun. Needless to say, that’s impossible.

To be honest, you are just better off eating an apple.

edit on 19-6-2013 by boncho because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 20 2013 @ 10:59 AM
link   

If you knew you'd be out of money in the next week or two, if you know that you're down to your last few dollars, is this a good time in your life to do a special 6 month experiment? Is this a good time in your life to be weak and where you would not be able to work?
Most people with brains would say "no".

The smarter thing to have done would have been a Kickstarter campaign to raise money for the "experiment" and then used the dough to pay the bills!

new topics

top topics

<< 3  4  5   >>

join