It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Woman attempting to live on nothing but water and sunlight for 6 months

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 7 2013 @ 10:14 AM
link   
For all those survivalists out there...who knew? You can live on nothing but sunlight and water!

A Seattle woman is attempting to live without food for six months -- planning to sustain herself on water and sunlight alone. Navenna Shine is calling her experiment “Living on Light.”

Source

I had to laugh at this. So regardless of the fact we have digestive systems, teeth, tastebuds, and whatever else you can think of that goes along with eating food, this lady and the group she believes in actually believe that we need only sunlight and water to thrive?

Talk about wreaking havoc on your body. This is just absurd.

I love the name of the group though...the Breatharians

Breatharians

Breatharianism is a related concept, in which believers claim food and possibly water are not necessary, and that humans can be sustained solely by prana (the vital life force in Hinduism), or, according to some, by the energy in sunlight (according to Ayurveda, sunlight is one of the main sources of prana). The terms breatharianism or inedia may also refer to this philosophy practised as a lifestyle in place of the usual diet.

So...do these guys poop sunbeams?
edit on 6/7/13 by Vasa Croe because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 7 2013 @ 10:15 AM
link   

Originally posted by Vasa Croe

So...do these guys poop sunbeams?

Sure do. And on extra hot and sunny days the bowl is a blast of color.

posted on Jun, 7 2013 @ 10:18 AM
link   
does this woman think she is a plant? photosynthesis doesnt work for humans lady. you need nutrients to live.

posted on Jun, 7 2013 @ 10:20 AM
link   
Well unless she has 100+ pounds of fat reserves that are stocked full of bonus vitamins and a sprinkling of protein, her BODY isnt going to survive.

posted on Jun, 7 2013 @ 10:20 AM
link   
Well I hope she has health insurance. I really don't want to have to pay for this idiot when she ends up in the hospital.

posted on Jun, 7 2013 @ 10:22 AM
link   
what is this i dont even

Seriously, it makes about as much sense as my brother-in-law's new moustache. Just wrong on so many levels!

posted on Jun, 7 2013 @ 10:23 AM
link   
reply to post by Vasa Croe

Where are these people at psychologically that would make them think that they don't need solids to thrive, as apposed to merely survive? (are they allowed vitamin supplements?) ...they'll be husks at the end of it all!

....and David Blaine called... he wants his next "magic trick" back!

edit on 7-6-2013 by EzekielsWheel because: because spellnig suckx, lolz

posted on Jun, 7 2013 @ 10:23 AM
link   
Does she follow the sun throughout the day like a plant?

I bet 20 bucks she is caught in a Mcdonalds eating a bigmac or maybe even someone's pet before week 2 ends, maybe beginning of week 3.

This is sad that it's being done, was told as well that Vegans live longer than meat eaters, yet most of the people living to 100 and 108 even eat steak on regular basis, haven't changed much habits, just eat balanced whole foods. Bet thats the key to longer better health, Balanced whole food eating, in a land riddled with sugar, salt and fat, three ways to make crap food taste like good food, guess what, veggies and fruits with meat is, sugar, salt and fat naturally...

Anywho, I like the sun as much as the next Leo, but I don't worship it nor believe it's the only thing I need to thank my lucky ass I'm alive.

posted on Jun, 7 2013 @ 10:24 AM
link   
Hmmmm lets see.....

After 3 days of no food, primary organs will start showing weakness, like kidney....

After about 10 days of no food, Kidney already started failing.....and will continue to fail to absolute nothing. Dizziness..

After 14 weeks, other organs will show signs of failings...extreme stomach pains....weakness, nausea, headaches..

After 30 days.... massive muscle loss, bones density reduction, most organs past 50% failure, some organs are beyond repair.

After 40 days.. RIP.

Well Good luck to her!!

posted on Jun, 7 2013 @ 10:25 AM
link   
Mr Darwin, We have a new candidate

Even plants get nutrients from the soil.

posted on Jun, 7 2013 @ 10:28 AM
link   
You guys might want to take this more seriously.

Check this guy out.

Hindu man doesn't eat or drink for 15 days

On Thursday afternoon, he emerged from hospital in the Indian state of Gujarat, where he had spent 15 days. He was monitored around the clock and, according to the medics who oversaw him, consumed no food and no water whatsoever. No human should be able to survive such conditions unscathed — the lack of water alone should have killed him. But Mr Jani apparently suffered absolutely no ill-effects at all. Attending a press conference at the Sterling Hospital in Ahmedabad, he said: ‘I am fit and strong today and even the doctors agree. They ran every test possible for 15 days and proved that I do not need food to keep me strong. 'I am strong and healthy, because it is the way God wants me to be.’

I'm not saying that SHE can do it, but it appears that this man apparently does.
edit on 7-6-2013 by DaRAGE because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 7 2013 @ 10:29 AM
link   
If we could find a way to convert stupidity into a food source the world would never be hungry again!

Lunch time! Gonna go catch a few rays, but I'll use a filter. (I'm dieting)

posted on Jun, 7 2013 @ 10:39 AM
link   
reply to post by DaRAGE

That's 15 days, not 6 months, BIG Difference! See lucid post.

posted on Jun, 7 2013 @ 10:40 AM
link   
It just blows my mind that someone or a group of people can somehow believe that they don't need food. It goes against the way the entire body is made and how our digestive systems work.

I'm just going to grab a little of that:

Take in a little of this:

And voila..

Wait....am I doing this right?

+3 more 
posted on Jun, 7 2013 @ 10:47 AM
link   
Sunlight in Seattle for 6 months tells me she is rather clueless

posted on Jun, 7 2013 @ 10:51 AM
link   

Originally posted by luciddream
Hmmmm lets see.....

After 3 days of no food, primary organs will start showing weakness, like kidney....

After about 10 days of no food, Kidney already started failing.....and will continue to fail to absolute nothing. Dizziness..

After 14 weeks, other organs will show signs of failings...extreme stomach pains....weakness, nausea, headaches..

After 30 days.... massive muscle loss, bones density reduction, most organs past 50% failure, some organs are beyond repair.

After 40 days.. RIP.

That's most people.

This guy claims to not have eaten or drunk anything in decades.

Doctors and experts are baffled by an Indian hermit who claims not to have eaten or drunk anything for several decades - but is still in perfect health.

Prahlad Jani, a holy man, or fakir, who is over 70 years old, has just spent 10 days under constant observation in Sterling Hospital, in the western Indian city of Ahmedabad.

During that time, he did not consume anything and "neither did he pass urine or stool", according to the hospital's deputy superintendent, Dr Dinesh Desai.

Yet he is in fine mental and physical fettle, say doctors.

news.bbc.co.uk...

posted on Jun, 7 2013 @ 10:53 AM
link   

Originally posted by chiefsmom
reply to post by DaRAGE

Well, according to the OP's link, she's already done it for over a month.

posted on Jun, 7 2013 @ 10:55 AM
link   
reply to post by mikell

Ha! I did not even think about that.

This whole basis of belief is dumbfounding to me. Even one of the biggest proponents of it has not been able to sustain this type of living for more than 4 days..

Jasmuheen

Jasmuheen (born 1957 as Ellen Greve) is an Australia-based proponent of "pranic nourishment" or breatharianism, defined as the practice of living without food or fluid of any sort.[1] Jasmuheen makes appearances at New Age conferences worldwide, has hosted spiritual retreats in Thailand and sells many self-penned books and audio recordings on her website.

When the Australian television programme 60 Minutes challenged her to demonstrate how she could live without food and water, the supervising medical professional Dr. Beres Wenck found that after 48 hours Jasmuheen displayed symptoms of acute dehydration, stress and high blood pressure.[2] Jasmuheen claimed that this was a result of "polluted air". On day 3, Jasmuheen was moved to a mountainside retreat about 15 miles from the city, where she was filmed enjoying the fresh air she said she could now live on happily. However, as the filming progressed, her speech slowed, her pupils dilated and she lost over a stone (6 kg or 14 lb) in weight. After four days, Jasmuheen acknowledged that she had lost weight, but stated that she felt fine. Dr. Wenck stated "You are now quite dehydrated, probably over 10%, getting up to 11%." The doctor also announced, "Her pulse is about double what it was when she started. The risks if she goes any further are kidney failure."[2] Jasmuheen's condition continued to deteriorate rapidly in the clearly demonstrated context of acute dehydration, despite her insistence to the contrary. Dr. Wenck concluded that continuing the experiment would ultimately prove fatal. The film crew concurred with this assessment and ceased filming.

What a quack. It amazes me that people actually believe and follow others with such stupid and silly ideas so easily. I can understand the need for sunlight and vitamin D but taking it to the extreme of saying that is all you need is, for lack of a more descriptive term, RETARDED!

Four deaths have been directly linked to breatharianism and Jasmuheen's publications.[8][9] Jasmuheen has denied any moral responsibility for this. Referring to the death of Lani Morris, for example, she said that perhaps Morris was "not coming from a place of integrity and did not have the right motivation."[8] Similarly, after the death by dehydration of Verity Linn, whose body was found in a tent with little but a sleeping bag, her clothing, and one of Jasmuheen's books, Jasmuheen wrote "If you haven't found the light that will nourish you, you may have the intention to become a breatharian, but in fact you may be putting yourself through food deprivation. There is one known case where a person died when trying to become a breatharian."[10] According to the BBC, Verity Linn's "diary mentioned the teachings of self-proclaimed prophet Jasmuheen who believes people can draw nourishment from the 'divine life force in the form of liquid light'."[11]

posted on Jun, 7 2013 @ 10:56 AM
link   

Originally posted by chiefsmom
reply to post by DaRAGE

It was enough to scare the medical industry into not allowing the test to continue though.

If he claims not to have eaten or drunk in "decades", why not observe him for a few more months?
edit on 7/6/13 by NuclearPaul because: typo

posted on Jun, 7 2013 @ 10:59 AM
link   

Originally posted by DaRAGE
You guys might want to take this more seriously.

Check this guy out.

Hindu man doesn't eat or drink for 15 days

On Thursday afternoon, he emerged from hospital in the Indian state of Gujarat, where he had spent 15 days. He was monitored around the clock and, according to the medics who oversaw him, consumed no food and no water whatsoever. No human should be able to survive such conditions unscathed — the lack of water alone should have killed him. But Mr Jani apparently suffered absolutely no ill-effects at all. Attending a press conference at the Sterling Hospital in Ahmedabad, he said: ‘I am fit and strong today and even the doctors agree. They ran every test possible for 15 days and proved that I do not need food to keep me strong. 'I am strong and healthy, because it is the way God wants me to be.’

I'm not saying that SHE can do it, but it appears that this man apparently does.
edit on 7-6-2013 by DaRAGE because: (no reason given)

actually the "15 days" was only the verified time they were monitoring him in the hospital. he CLAIMS o have lived like this 70 YEARS.and apparently with him, he doesn't even DRINK water.

There are few people, however busy their lives, unable to remember the last meal that they consumed. But Prahlad Jani is one of them. And the reason is that the last morsel of food that he says passed his lips did so in the early years of World War II. ‘I can’t recall exactly what it was,’ the 82-year-old Indian admits. ‘It was such a long time ago.’ During the 70-odd years since, Mr Jani says he has eaten not so much as a single grain of rice nor consumed a drop of water. And while such an extended gap between meals might be expected to have a fatal impact on the activities of one so deprived, this octogenarian says he’s never felt better. Read more: www.dailymail.co.uk... Follow us: @MailOnline on Twitter | DailyMail on Facebook

i guess this is her role model. wonder if her actually drinking water will screw the whole thing up for her.
i hope for her sake she is monitored while she does this.

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join