It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

More Pictures from Taksim: From the Ground

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 7 2013 @ 09:22 AM
link   
This whole protest thing is headed for disaster.

The Prime Minister just returned home from a trip to North Africa last night and declared that the protests must end and that the mall will be built in place of the trees in the park whether the protesters like it or not.

I don't think they're going to go away, which leaves the government with little choice but to intervene at some point. Tourism is down, the stock market is down....something has got to give at some point.

Meanwhile, I spent a good part of the afternoon walking around the demonstration and my impression is that it is a mix between Occupy and the 60's. It has taken on a party atmosphere since the Istanbul local government backed off on Sunday.

There is the smell of grilled corn on the cob, fresh bread, kabobs and sliced watermelon being sold by vendors. There are burned out cars that are being used as bulletin boards for people to write down their thoughts and ideas and hang up.

There are tents---in fact, a whole little city has sprung up down there, with vendors, and sleeping areas. There are banners all over the square, t-shirts being sold, gas masks, anonymous masks. It's like a huge fair.

It's rather impressive, really. Last night they televised the speech of the Prime Minister as he got off the plane, telling protesters to end their demonstrations.

There is definitely going to be a moment though, when this will end.

I'm not sure what that moment is going to look like.

The barricades from the streets into the square are still there. I think the protesters continue to prepare for some kind of meltdown by the government.

Here are some pics.

I actually leave tonight. It has been a very interesting trip to Turkey.

Istanbul is a lively, beautiful city.

I pray for the protesters.

Clothes line with pictures of police brutality in the middle of the square

Burned out cars serve as barriers to streets leading to the square

Girl posing on top of burned out car in the middle of the square

Anonymous masks (this is not my pic--but it is on the clothes line and everyone is welcome to spread pics)

Tent City (someone actually erected a swing set in the back)

burned out car with hand written notes attached

Torched vehicle

My favorite slogan so far was written on the ground in the square. It simply says in English: No NWO
I'll try to post more in a bit.

edit on 7-6-2013 by MRuss because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 7 2013 @ 09:31 AM
link   
Your live account of the events in Turkey have been a great blessing on this site. Thank you for reporting the details and keeping us informed on the ground level.

Have a safe trip home... you earned it.

God Bless,

posted on Jun, 7 2013 @ 09:43 AM
link   
Yes, I'm with the other poster, it has been very interesting to read your posts and see your pictures. Thank you for doing this.
I wonder how long it will be before they actually try moving them out of there? I hope they all are safe when it does happen.

Have a safe trip home.

posted on Jun, 7 2013 @ 09:48 AM
link   
Thanks for sharing

I'v never understood why people burn innocent peoples cars

Their just asking for police intervention doing dumb # like that

posted on Jun, 7 2013 @ 09:51 AM
link   
Above Top Secret's very own citizen journalist.

Thanks for the updates, and of course the pictures. Have you thought about sending them in to MSM companies? Some may publish them for you.

top topics

join