It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Gay Colorado couple sues bakery for allegedly refusing them wedding cake

page: 4
<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 7 2013 @ 12:19 PM
link   

Originally posted by kaylaluv

Originally posted by hp1229

Polygamy is in the bible then why is it illegal then ?
I think we should fight for Polygamy just like LGBT

And I'll fight right along beside you. It's not my thing, but I'm not gay either.
me neither. I love my wife and kids. One is enough for me (sheesh..I dont know how the polygamists handle multiple wives
) My point is that there are many aspects of the social/religious/legal laws/practices/taboos/rituals that we can challenge and legalize. Where does one draw the line? Might as well have a lawless society?

I think one can draw the line at consenting adults where there are no victims.
Thats just one line
What about the others?

posted on Jun, 7 2013 @ 12:22 PM
link   

Originally posted by esdad71

All this over a cake??? This is not about gay marriage...it is about a cake but it is being used as a platform when it should not be to push an agenda. Sad really.

Yeah, that's probably what they said to Rosa Parks. All this over a seat on a bus???

posted on Jun, 7 2013 @ 12:29 PM
link   
I have 2 concerns about this.
1: They went to this baker knowing he would likely refuse service so perhaps they went in with a belligerent attitude ie: "we're gay and you have to bake us a cake".
The baker could have refused based on their attitude.

2: Would you risk eating a cake made be someone you just ticked off?

posted on Jun, 7 2013 @ 12:33 PM
link   

Originally posted by windword
reply to post by Nucleardiver

Last time I checked, discrimination based on sexual orientation was illegal.

You are partially correct in that if it is a government agency or an employer discriminating based on creed, color, ethnicity, religion, or sexual orientation it is in fact illegal. However it is not illegal for a private individual to discriminate against someone based upon what ever reason they are using.

By your statement that would mean the Aryan Brotherhood, KKK, NAACP, New Black Panther Party, or any other organization would be committing a crime by exercising their beliefs or their requirement that you meet certain criteria to join their group, which is not the case. Under law and the Constitution they are allowed to believe what they want as long as they do not commit a crime against another person.

While it may seem a stretch why couldn't I apply the same standard that the ACLU is using in this suit to sue the NAACP for not allowing me to join their organization based on the fact that I am a white male. Or perhaps I could get a lawsuit going against them because they won't give my son a scholarship because he is white. Their denial would be based on the color of my skin which by the standard implied by this article would violate a law against discrimination.

Do you see why I said this is a very slippery slope to start going down?

edit on 7-6-2013 by Nucleardiver because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 7 2013 @ 12:35 PM
link   
reply to post by kaylaluv

They flamboyantly went in there "WE are GAY" "make us a cake".

The bakery owner should have every right to refuse them. It sucks and it's ultimately his loss of business but it's still his business, should be his rules.

And why in the world would anyone want a wedding cake made out of hate and spite, because that's what they'd get from this guy. This is a publicity stunt, that's all it is.

Is this 1984? Are we now subjected to thought control?

Gays have rights but the rest of us have rights too STOP TRYING TO TAKE THEM AWAY!

posted on Jun, 7 2013 @ 12:35 PM
link   

Rosa Parks? You are comparing two men, who got married in another state and then targeted a baker who was known to not make cakes for people who are gay. You should be ashamed. She did that at a time where black people were regularly lynched and hung for no reason. She had more balls than these two combined.

Take away your emotions and look at this with common sense. Gay people have more rights than your average white or black male right now in just about any forum. If I went to a club, and upset a gay guy who was bigger than me and had my butt kicked it would not be a hate crime. Turn it around and it is. Double standard and that is what I am against.

This is about a cake and how to spin it to use as an agenda. Rosa Parks...

edit on 7-6-2013 by esdad71 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 7 2013 @ 12:38 PM
link   

A private club is different than a public retail establishment. The Boy Scouts is an example. The government never once told the Boy Scouts they had to admit openly gay scouts. Did you know there are still private country clubs who don't allow black members?

posted on Jun, 7 2013 @ 12:39 PM
link   

Obviously not. But it is obvious in a bakery when a couple is asking for a wedding cake and that couple happens to be the gay couple. There's are many possibilities including the fact that the gay couple perhaps decided to display their love and affection for each other in front of the baker?
Who knows.

posted on Jun, 7 2013 @ 12:40 PM
link   
reply to post by esdad71

I am not comparing gays with blacks. I am comparing discrimination with discrimination. It is more than just about a cake, like it was more than just about a seat on the bus.

posted on Jun, 7 2013 @ 12:42 PM
link   

Originally posted by Beartracker16
2: Would you risk eating a cake made be someone you just ticked off?
Hell no. Never know what special ingredients (know plenty of disgusting stories from friends and their college days jobs) the baker might mix/add to the cake.

posted on Jun, 7 2013 @ 12:43 PM
link   

Obviously not. But it is obvious in a bakery when a couple is asking for a wedding cake and that couple happens to be the gay couple. There's are many possibilities including the fact that the gay couple perhaps decided to display their love and affection for each other in front of the baker?
Who knows.

Doesn't matter. Either you won't do business with anyone who doesn't follow your religious beliefs, or you will do business with anyone who doesn't follow your religious beliefs. Picking and choosing is not religious objection -- it's discrimination -- pure and simple.

posted on Jun, 7 2013 @ 12:45 PM
link   

reply to post by esdad71

I am not comparing gays with blacks. I am comparing discrimination with discrimination. It is more than just about a cake, like it was more than just about a seat on the bus.
As I mentioned earlier in other responses, there is no end to 'discrimination'. I'm sure the mentally challenged/drug addicts/pedos/sexual addicts etc etc feel discriminated in their own minds. Should we go ahead and agree to their demands and/or belief system?

posted on Jun, 7 2013 @ 12:47 PM
link   

reply to post by esdad71

As I mentioned earlier in other responses, there is no end to 'discrimination'. I'm sure the mentally challenged/drug addicts/pedos/sexual addicts etc etc feel discriminated in their own minds. Should we go ahead and agree to their demands and/or belief system?

So you are now comparing gays to people who break laws???

posted on Jun, 7 2013 @ 12:48 PM
link   

Did you know that as a white guy I cannot join many black only clubs? As a straight guy my son cannot benefit from after school clubs that are exclusively for gays? Your argument is reverse racism.

This is about a targeted attack on a small business by these two guys. They knew it going in. It is, then by definition, a conspiracy against the baker.

You are confusing discrimination with choice. That is a big problem in AMerica.
edit on 7-6-2013 by esdad71 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 7 2013 @ 12:48 PM
link   

Yeah, that's probably what they said to Rosa Parks. All this over a seat on a bus???

Exactly, discrimination is discrimination....whether it's the refusal to make you a cake, making you sit somewhere away from other people, blocking you getting the vote based on your gender or colour, it's all the same.

I hope this bakery closes down and I hope the owners are prosecuted if such legal framework exists.

posted on Jun, 7 2013 @ 12:49 PM
link   

Originally posted by Nucleardiver
You are partially correct in that if it is a government agency or an employer discriminating based on creed, color, ethnicity, religion, or sexual orientation it is in fact illegal.

You're wrong. It IS the law in Colorado, that any place of business engaged in offering sales or services of any kind to the public, cannot discriminate based on sexual orientation. See this post:
www.abovetopsecret.com...

posted on Jun, 7 2013 @ 12:51 PM
link   

Originally posted by esdad71

Did you know that as a white guy I cannot join many black only clubs? As a straight guy my son cannot benefit from after school clubs that are exclusively for gays? Your argument is reverse racism.

This is about a targeted attack on a small business by these two guys. They knew it going in. It is, then by definition, a conspiracy against the baker.

As I said, private clubs are different then public retail establishments. Private clubs have the legal right to discriminate because they are private clubs, not open to the public. Churches are also private clubs - they can refuse membership to anyone they want. The KKK is a private club, so on and so on. A bakery is not a private club.

link   
reply to post by TheRedneck

You hit the nail on the head with what I was thinking about. It's only a matter of time churches are sued for not performing gay marriages. From what I understand, it is already headed that way in the UK.

I am a big proponent of 'What happens in your bedroom is none of my businesses' but it does become our business if one can be sued for not condoning, endorsing, or tolerating, it.

While it may seem a stretch why couldn't I apply the same standard that the ACLU is using in this suit to sue the NAACP for not allowing me to join their organization based on the fact that I am a white male.

That is a good point. Apparently this couple, who doesn't even live in Colorado, purposefully targeted the bakery. It reminds me of that man who sued Hooters for not hiring him as a waiter. lol

We do need to find some happy medium between gay rights, religious rights, and business owners rights.

link   
reply to post by stargatetravels

Why should he be closed down because of his personal beliefs...sounds a little 1930's to me...

link   

reply to post by esdad71

So you are now comparing gays to people who break laws???
If you think there are laws then why is 'same sex marriage' a LAW and not a natural right ?

top topics

<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join