It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Gay Colorado couple sues bakery for allegedly refusing them wedding cake

page: 14
<< 11  12  13    15  16  17 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 8 2013 @ 10:32 AM
link   
reply to post by HandyDandy

He specifically denied them a wedding cake for being gay.
so a complaint claims ... how can you be sure that is the entirety of the situation ?
were you there ?
have you interviewed the owners or the couple ?

geeeesh, so much for a constructive conversation

again, where is the proof ???

a reputation is hardly proof or is it for you ?

oh, we see it just fine ... then again, we live with it every day, do you ?

hmmmm, you sure about that ?
Disney might disagree with ya there, especially concerning attire/costuming or do you need a link for that one too ?

actually, the problem here is that you are buying the 'complaint' as a full story.
i know better.

posted on Jun, 8 2013 @ 10:34 AM
link   
reply to post by Honor93

Originally posted by Honor93
several posts ago, i listed an entire neighborhood with exclusive homosexual enclaves in Miami, FL ... if that isn't good enough for you folks, nothing will be.

That's in FLORIDA, where the laws are different. Their discrimination laws don't include sexual orientation.

besides, this isn't about accomodations or private clubs or bars or any such thing.
THIS is about a cake, period.

In COLORADO (where this lawsuit is taking place), the law states: A public accommodation is any place of business engaged in offering sales or services of any kind to the public.

Jeez! It's frustrating when you don't read my posts!

posted on Jun, 8 2013 @ 10:37 AM
link   
reply to post by Benevolent Heretic

yes, he said that but he didn't say that was the reason for denying this particular couple, did he ?

and that's the point.

oh please, preparing the 'wedding cake', delivering it and setting it up, on-site, IS participating whether you agree or not.

yep, we'll see what a court says and for some reason, i doubt that'll be the end of it.

posted on Jun, 8 2013 @ 10:38 AM
link   
reply to post by Honor93

Is his own words proof enough for you?

"Because I'm a follower of Jesus Christ and I believe that the Bible teaches that's an unacceptable practice"…"I would close down the bakery before I'd compromise my beliefs on that"

www.goodasyou.org...

posted on Jun, 8 2013 @ 10:39 AM
link   
reply to post by markosity1973

Originally posted by markosity1973
The point that I have been trying to make is that then opens up gay night clubs in particular to be sued in reprisal.

Only if they exclude straight people. And are in a US STATE that has laws against it.

Oh and here's the link you requested

www.eoc.sa.gov.au...

I have nothing to say about Australian law! Or Florida law! We are talking about a specific case in Colorado, US. Not Australia or Florida or anywhere else.

posted on Jun, 8 2013 @ 10:39 AM
link   

giving a link to the discriminatory laws in your state to back up your statement?
who mentioned discriminatory LAWS ???
we are discussing discriminatory practices or did you miss that along the way ?

posted on Jun, 8 2013 @ 10:43 AM
link   
reply to post by Honor93

actually, the problem here is that you are buying the 'complaint' as a full story.
i know better.

The baker himself said it! If you know more, let's hear it. Let's see a link.

edit on 6/8/2013 by Benevolent Heretic because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 8 2013 @ 10:44 AM
link   

Originally posted by HandyDandy

The point that I have been trying to make is that then opens up gay night clubs in particular to be sued in reprisal.

Good. If they are discriminating then they deserve it.

And this is where your straightness betrays you.

There is a good reason, albeit illegal why gay clubs do this. It is the only place a gay person can go and meet and make an advance on another person being safe in the knowledge they are not about to be beat up for it. I have been into gay clubs all over the world and the same entry policies apply. Yes some gay clubs do have events that see them open for straight folk but most are discriminatory to this day

Its actually not that easy out in the open world for 2 gay people to find one another you know. Sure the internet has changed things a bit, but we still need safe places to met.

posted on Jun, 8 2013 @ 10:45 AM
link   

i'm not reaching for anything.
i gave clear examples of 'exclusive' practices in more than one state.

i never endorsed, encouraged or claimed it was a legitimate practice.
however, you seem determined to prove that it doesn't even happen and that just isn't so.

some years ago, i worked at a place that 'catered' to transexuals and their clothing options ... we did not even entertain anyone smaller than a size 12 (shoe that is) ... yes, they were welcome inside the establishment and then they were rather quickly ushered out, too.
it happens.

posted on Jun, 8 2013 @ 10:47 AM
link   

Actually this has everything to do with international law. While this particular case is in colorado the same scenario of gay people crying foul over service refusal has rased its head over here too.

link   
reply to post by Honor93

That's ALL we're talking about. It's in the OP! This is a LEGAL case. This couple is SUING (a legal action) a baker for refusing to make a cake for a gay couple, which, by Colorado law, is ILLEGAL.

Discriminatory practices that are against the LAW. Did I miss that along the way? Can you read?

link   

I think being married to my same sex husband negates any straightness......

Its actually not that easy out in the open world for 2 gay people to find one another you know. Sure the internet has changed things a bit, but we still need safe places to met.

Maybe it's different in Australia but it's not so hard here where we have to hide in our own specific bars and clubs. Thankfully we are a little bit past the 1950's.

posted on Jun, 8 2013 @ 10:52 AM
link   
reply to post by Honor93

you seem determined to prove that it doesn't even happen and that just isn't so.

Show me where I said it doesn't happen... In fact, I said it DOES happen.

All I've done here is to find out about the law in Colorado, where this baker has a business, and state that he, based on his own words, is breaking that law.

I haven't said whether I agree with him or not, whether I think the gay couple is doing the right thing or not. I have not given my personal opinion on the case. I'm only stating the law IN COLORADO. No other states (or continent's) laws are relevant to this case.

posted on Jun, 8 2013 @ 10:53 AM
link   

reply to post by HandyDandy

My local gay bar even has a night FOR straight people
duh, of course ... how else do you think they are going to get AROUND the laws ????
are you really as thick as you're coming across ?

Straight people are welcome every night. Thursday there is a straight club that comes in.......

The gay bar is owned by 2 straight brothers. I really doubt they wouldn't like anyone's money as long as they are not "drunk and disorderly".

/facepalm
i was gonna but it just isn't worth the effort.

dang i wish i could upload pics ... ever see an adult toy store that caters to 'men' ???
sure women can enter but i can't say that i've ever seen a single one breach the threshold beyond the store owner.

should she be sued just because women don't WANT to shop there ?
if not, then what about the women who would fuss or sue just because there is nothing they would purchase stocked there ?

should the owner be forced to expand her stock to satisfy a few who would make a stink about it ?

posted on Jun, 8 2013 @ 10:55 AM
link   
reply to post by Honor93

/facepalm
i was gonna but it just isn't worth the effort.

My thoughts exactly!

Have a good Saturday!

posted on Jun, 8 2013 @ 10:55 AM
link   

should the owner be forced to expand her stock to satisfy a few who would make a stink about it ?

When asking a baker to make a cake that he makes for everyone else, how is he being asked to expand his stock? Reaching much?

posted on Jun, 8 2013 @ 10:56 AM
link   

I think being married to my same sex husband negates any straightness......

Maybe it's different in Australia but it's not so hard here where we have to hide in our own specific bars and clubs. Thankfully we are a little bit past the 1950's.

Well if you are living in a state that you are legally married in, then yes you have advanced to the point where integration is a reality and the gay community can start to relax.

We also have a state here in oz that allows gay marriage, but not mine. Simple fact is that I have been to places like amsterdam, london, paris, rome, los angeles, new york, vancouver and all of these cities have clubs that I have visited with this door policy
edit on 8-6-2013 by markosity1973 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 8 2013 @ 11:08 AM
link   

Originally posted by Benevolent Heretic
reply to post by Honor93

several posts ago, i listed an entire neighborhood with exclusive homosexual enclaves in Miami, FL ... if that isn't good enough for you folks, nothing will be.

That's in FLORIDA, where the laws are different. Their discrimination laws don't include sexual orientation.

besides, this isn't about accomodations or private clubs or bars or any such thing.
THIS is about a cake, period.

In COLORADO (where this lawsuit is taking place), the law states: A public accommodation is any place of business engaged in offering sales or services of any kind to the public.

Jeez! It's frustrating when you don't read my posts!

excuse you but the law to which you refer involves employers and employees NOT customers.
yes dear, i read it and i understand it, do you ?

souce
Colorado Anti-Discrimination Act
The state recently amended the Colorado Anti-Discrimination Act (CADA) by passing the Sexual Orientation Employment Discrimination Act (SOEDA). CADA now prohibits discrimination based on a person’s sexual orientation, religion, disability, race, creed, color, sex, age, national origin or ancestry.

The statute makes it illegal for Colorado employers “to refuse to hire, to discharge, to promote or demote, to harass during the course of employment, or to discriminate in matters of compensation against” any member of the protected classes listed above.
CADA is Colorado’s version of the federal Civil Rights Act, Age Discrimination in Employment Act and the ADA all rolled into one. But unlike the federal anti-discrimination laws, which cover only employers with 15 or more employees, Colorado’s civil rights statute covers all employers regardless of size.
Ban on sexual-orientation bias
The SOEDA defines sexual orientation as “a person’s orientation toward heterosexuality, homosexuality, bisexuality, or transgender status or an employer’s perception thereof.”

The law places new restrictions on employers.
Under the SOEDA, employers:
 May not make pre-employment inquiries into an applicant’s sexual preference.
 May not have separate lines of progression or seniority systems for employees of different sexual orientation.
 May not express a preference for a particular sexual orientation in job advertisements.
 Must allow each employee to dress according to the gender the employee identifies with, even if the employer has a gender-specific dress code.

the law (that you quoted) doesn't even apply to customers anywhere, even on the Federal level.

posted on Jun, 8 2013 @ 11:13 AM
link   

Originally posted by Benevolent Heretic
reply to post by Honor93

That's ALL we're talking about. It's in the OP! This is a LEGAL case. This couple is SUING (a legal action) a baker for refusing to make a cake for a gay couple, which, by Colorado law, is ILLEGAL.

Discriminatory practices that are against the LAW. Did I miss that along the way? Can you read?

you are mixing apples and oranges.

the LAW covers employment not sales, try again or get back to me when you have a clue.

posted on Jun, 8 2013 @ 11:15 AM
link   

I'm only stating the law IN COLORADO
then maybe you should read it rather skim over the parts that fit your or this couple's agenda.

do tell, which of them was applying for a job again ?????

new topics

top topics

<< 11  12  13    15  16  17 >>

join