It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Billionaire Offers $1 Million to Solve Math Problem

page: 6
<< 3  4  5    7 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 8 2013 @ 09:32 AM
link   

Originally posted by straddlebug

Originally posted by Thermo Klein
Variables, by definition, aren't defined so how is it possible to solve something with six unrelated variables?
Seems this belongs in quantum philosophy rather than math...

You maybe right. This may be unsolvable, but I think it is possible.

I do have a couple of questions for people who have put some thought into this matter.

Often I have heard that the 4th dimension is time. Is this an accepted definition, and/or does the 4th dimension ALWAYS have to be defined as time? (assuming there are additional dimensions)

Another concern: Is time an absolute where there are both positive and negative values? Plus, is there infinite time, zero time, and NULL time?

bingo!!!!!!!!!!!!!

posted on Jun, 8 2013 @ 09:34 AM
link   
I thought I had a solution until I found all these others on Wikipedia.

Fermats Conjecture

If none of these formulas are correct, then I guess I still don't understand the problem. My solution is not listed, but I feel it still satisfies the parameters of the equation...Hmmmmm.

posted on Jun, 8 2013 @ 09:46 AM
link   
reply to post by TeflonBear

I have never understood why mathematicians believe there is some earth shattering discoveries hidden in prime numbers. To me its nothing more the Sudoku for math geeks.

posted on Jun, 8 2013 @ 12:22 PM
link   
reply to post by Thermo Klein

You don't have to solve the variables- you just have to set up a proof the formula can work, according to my understanding.

This was the closest I personally got. A picture of my chicken scratch is easier than typing it out. Pardon my serial killer handwriting. I never did have the fluffy girl bubbly penmanship. lol

Even then I couldn't get anything to work. Not with anything greater than two or without repeating numbers.

posted on Jun, 8 2013 @ 01:52 PM
link   

I do have a couple of questions for people who have put some thought into this matter. Often I have heard that the 4th dimension is time. Is this an accepted definition, and/or does the 4th dimension ALWAYS have to be defined as time? (assuming there are additional dimensions)

this is more in my line of abilities. the 4th dimension isn't exactly time. the dimension directly above the one you inhabit is time to you, assuming your dimension is moving through the higher dimension.

consider flipping through a stack of pictures rapidly. two dimensional space (relatively) moving through 3 dimensional space produces a time effect and a framerate (time is quantized, the universe has a framerate it operates at. i know the value if you want it).

taking into account the above, it is also worthy to note that the dimension above the one you inhabit produces linear time. so 4D is a single movie, no changes possible, 5D is variations along another axis (possible variations of the timeline) 6D becomes linear time on the scale of multiple universes moving inside (though inside those universes the timeline would have possible variations), 7D becomes multiple timelines for multiple universes.

in the simplest terms, 4D isn't "time", time is the product of a lower dimension moving through a higher dimension.

posted on Jun, 8 2013 @ 02:11 PM
link   

Originally posted by rival
I don't know much about math, but ain't it supposed to do with numbers and stuff...

You sure that ain't an English question?

LOL thats my exact thought too! Well seeing im a complete idiot at both math and science, im smart enough to know I have better odds at guessing the number here than if I were to play the lottery. Ok so my answer is "Cupboard"

posted on Jun, 8 2013 @ 02:57 PM
link   
its easy

we all know that

A2 + B2 = C2

then the answer to the conjecutre is

A2 + B4/2 = C8/4

i thank you

NOW WHERES MY MONEY!!!!!!

posted on Jun, 8 2013 @ 04:37 PM
link   

Beyond me as well.

I know: BA = Bay, BE = Bee, BI = Bickiebye, BO - Bo

posted on Jun, 8 2013 @ 04:49 PM
link   
I think I got it!!!

Ax + By = Cz so then we can conclude Xa + Yb = Zc!

How does one even go about proving this?!?!

posted on Jun, 8 2013 @ 07:57 PM
link   
erm

im actually serious!

my answer is right

Ax + By = Cz
is
A2 + B4/2 = C8/4

its pythagoras theory, with different ways of writing "squared"

A2 + B2 = C2
as this is Ax + Bx = Cx

for the conjecture, find other ways of showing x to get y & z.
as i have shown above as my answer

where do i collect my cash.. i need a holiday

edit on 8-6-2013 by thePharaoh because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 8 2013 @ 09:10 PM
link   

Here is my simple algebra answer

Ax+By=Cz

x,y,z = any number, each is the same number
A=any number
B=any number
C=any number

A=1, B=2, C=3
x,y,z=2
1x2+2x2=3x2
2+4=6
6=6

A=10,B=11,C=21
10x2+11x2=21x2
20+22=42
42=42

A=50, B=33, C=83
50x5+33x5=83x5
250+165=415
415=415

posted on Jun, 8 2013 @ 09:34 PM
link   
Why don't he quit trying to put on this act like he is generous and start donating his money to childrens hospitals and disease research instead of some stupid math problem...are you serious? If I was a billionaire I would be investing and donating my money everywhere instead of holding onto a bunch of money I will never spend.

You could save it for your future generations but hey we can't make those kids lazy now can we?

posted on Jun, 8 2013 @ 09:35 PM
link   
Maybe we need to know more about Andrew Beal

A self-taught number theorist, Beal is also known for the Beal conjecture,[4] a mathematical generalization of Fermat's Last Theorem. He has funded a USD$1,000,000 standing prize for its proof or disproof.[5] His banks also sponsor two annual science and technology fairs affiliated with the International Science & Engineering Fair.[6] Beal also participated in some high-stakes poker games in the mid-2000s that were the subject of a book.[7]

1. As a self taught number theorist, I assume that he knows that there is no correct answer to his proposition. The banking side of his nature would have ensured that he put some fine-print disclaimers into the rules, so that when many people do actually come up with a positive solution, then he can negate their claim but countering it with some jargon like "Yeah this does work, but you used a prime-factor to get the result, so you haven't actually proven anything"
2. As a banker with interests in Maths and Science he can generate a lot more interest in his proposition by sponsoring other tech-based fairs.
3. As a gambler we know he is prepared to take risks that other banking institutions would probably shy away from. ie, putting up a large bounty for a solution that does not exist.
4. Therefore the more interest he can generate for his ghost equation, the more customers he gets coming into his bank.

The Beal Conjecture

We've all been played by the best.

posted on Jun, 8 2013 @ 09:41 PM
link   
Maybe I am wrong, but I found an answer in only a minute. It is the only plausible answer that will work so it would have to be it. But could it be that easy? I have to be wrong. But it works... Hmmm...

posted on Jun, 8 2013 @ 09:52 PM
link   
reply to post by elouina

It took me a couple of minutes but seemed pretty simple. I submitted my answer to a mathematics journal for publication which is one of the requirements for awarding the prize money.

I doubt it will come to fruition but you can't blame a guy for trying.

I do know the math I proposed works every time.

posted on Jun, 8 2013 @ 09:55 PM
link   
reply to post by leeb768

Since you sent them your work and it can't be contested. .. . .

Post your work here so we can all see it.

Thanks.

posted on Jun, 8 2013 @ 09:58 PM
link   
reply to post by ShadellacZumbrum

I posted it above but here it is again. I included examples as well:

Here is my simple algebra answer

Ax+By=Cz

x,y,z = any number, each is the same number
A=any number
B=any number
C=any number

A=1, B=2, C=3
x,y,z=2

1x2+2x2=3x2
2+4=6
6=6

A=10,B=11,C=21
x,y,z=2

10x2+11x2=21x2
20+22=42
42=42

x,y,z=5
A=50, B=33, C=83

50x5+33x5=83x5
250+165=415
415=415

posted on Jun, 8 2013 @ 09:58 PM
link   
reply to post by leeb768

Bravo! So then you followed all of the stipulated rules?

Edited to add... Oh you posted your answer as I posted this reply, and I see you didn't follow the rules. The rules page is down, so I am just going by what i have found so far. I will not classify mine as solved until I read every last rule.

edit on 8-6-2013 by elouina because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 8 2013 @ 10:01 PM
link   
reply to post by elouina

I believe I followed the rules. I just don't know if it will get published which is required. That is up to the publication to make that decision. Just to protect myself, I also submitted it to a popular news site.

We shall see...

posted on Jun, 8 2013 @ 10:04 PM
link   
reply to post by elouina

That is interesting that the site is down. I just went there a few minutes ago and that is where I read that it had to be published. Maybe they are changing the rules at this very moment. It wouldn't surprise me.

top topics

<< 3  4  5    7 >>

join