It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Billionaire Offers $1 Million to Solve Math Problem

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 7 2013 @ 07:52 AM
link   
Plese don´t be so ignorant...

Mocking a scientific problem is pure ignorance...

Fermat´s Last Theorem was considered one of the most difficult mathematical problems ever, until it was proved somewhere in 1999s by Wiles.

No one has proved or provided a counterexample for Beal´s conjecture yet.

It is nice to see prizes provided for different problems like that.

I remember the Millennium Prize Rewards. 7 problems with 1 million dollar price each. Only one has been solved so far.

en.wikipedia.org...

posted on Jun, 7 2013 @ 07:53 AM
link   

Originally posted by iwontrun
Come on guys the answer is.......purple!
edit on 6/7/2013 by iwontrun because: (no reason given)

At least you gave a 3 dimensional answer.

Good job.

42 can fit on a number line or it could be a point.. This doesn't jive with the equation at hand..

posted on Jun, 7 2013 @ 07:53 AM
link   
reply to post by Cabin

We are not mocking the scientific problem we are mocking ourselves who do not understand the question let alone the answer....well Iam any way.

posted on Jun, 7 2013 @ 07:58 AM
link   

Originally posted by Cabin
I remember the Millennium Prize Rewards. 7 problems with 1 million dollar price each. Only one has been solved so far.
Yes one problem was solved and they tried to give the man who solved it a million dollars, but he refused to accept it.

How often does someone turn down a million dollar award?

posted on Jun, 7 2013 @ 07:58 AM
link   
reply to post by Cabin

This particular "problem" has no solution.

Scientists when they figure this out will be in horror that even beyond probability there is the mind.

OMG the dimensions!

When there is no relativity.

I just ran through the link you provided. It explains why you can't answer this question without more dimensions..
edit on 6/7/2013 by Dustytoad because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 7 2013 @ 08:05 AM
link   
What if Math wasn't the answer to everything and we've just created this means of measurement and it's giving us answers but only because we created it in the 1st place to do so.

Maybe that's the answer of this equation, Math is kinda pointless. We understand Math in other aspects with visual geometry and visual puzzles. Everything we are told seems to be an off shoot of something that already was there.

Kinda like the internet's sole purpose was to gather information on everyone
edit on 7-6-2013 by Tranceopticalinclined because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 7 2013 @ 08:07 AM
link   
reply to post by TeflonBear

Ok maybe we are just making this too hard, and it is actually very easy, and the guy is just looking for good common sense, and logic use in someone.

I think I am getting close to solving this, I think it may be a type of code, but I can never get the numbers to match, I can only ever get close. A x X + B x Y = C x Z
1 x 24+ 2 x 25 = 3 x 26
24 + 50 = 78
74=78

This is obviously wrong, but i think I am getting close, I believe it is a proportion, for example, if you just take each letters place in the alphabet and assign it a number, for example A=1 B=2 Z=26..... for the capital letters, and a proportion of the original number is used for the lower case number.

Or maybe, the lower case uses some sort of reverse numbering metric, but doing it forward or backwards for either equals a close approximation.

Although no matter the numbers or fractions or decimals I have used have been really any closer than the first problem I posted.

I think I may be on the right track though. Maybe one of you guys can figure it out.

posted on Jun, 7 2013 @ 08:11 AM
link   
reply to post by inverslyproportional

ok, but you are trying to use numbers.. A B and C can be ANY and ALL numbers.. You can't just make it work once.. It has to work EVERY time.. This is at least 4 dimensional thought.. It's about logic..

The only point I see to the problem is expanding your thought process into higher dimensions..

This being said there is no solution.

posted on Jun, 7 2013 @ 08:14 AM
link   
reply to post by boymonkey74

Ok.

I´ll explain the problem then

Beal Conjecture:

If A^x+B^y=C^z,where A, B, C, x, y, and z are positive integers with x, y, z > 2,
then A, B, and C have a common prime factor.

Basically:

There are 2 numbers A and B. Both of them are powered of some number larger than 2. For example,

A^x=3^3=27
B^y=6^3=216

If you sum these up, you get A^x+B^y= 216+27=243

243 is 3 powered of 5. 3^5

This means the equation is true. 3^3+6^3=3^5
A=3, B=6, C=3, x=3, y=3 and z=5

If we take a look at A,B and C, all these are divisible by 3. 3 is a prime number, so it is the prime factor of all these numbers, this shows that on this case the equation is correct.

What this reward requires is proving that such equation is correct in all situations or finding a case, where this equation is not true, (so that when you add two powered numbers (larger power than 2) up and get another powered number (larger power than 2), then these three numbers A,B and C do not have a common prime factor)

I am not very good at explaining math in english, although hopefully it helps at least somebody to understand this problem.

posted on Jun, 7 2013 @ 08:17 AM
link   
reply to post by Cabin

no, none of the numbers are raised to any power..

and someone starred that.. Hmm..

the numbers can be ANYTHING, all 6 of them.

posted on Jun, 7 2013 @ 08:19 AM
link   
reply to post by Dustytoad

What do you mean?

posted on Jun, 7 2013 @ 08:21 AM
link   

reply to post by Dustytoad

What do you mean?

my last post? you used ^ which means "raised by" OR what are you asking?
Another way:

the question is not ONE solution using numbers, I could come up with many..

For instance 1x + 2y = 3Z...
X= 2

oh and let's just say y = 43.769...

2 + 87.538 = 3z..

89.538/3 = z = 29.179...

Numbers are not the point here...

6 variables..

There is no proof.

posted on Jun, 7 2013 @ 08:25 AM
link   

Originally posted by Dustytoad
reply to post by Cabin

It is a mistake in the original article. x, y and z are powers of A,B and C respectively. A is not multiplied by x, but powered by x.

Million dollar problem: Beal Conjecture

Beal conjecture is generalisation of Fermat Last Problem, one of the most famous mathemathical problems.
Fermat´s last problem.

edit on 7-6-2013 by Cabin because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 7 2013 @ 08:27 AM
link   

If you can find one solution where A,B and C do not have same prime factor you have earned million.

Or you need to prove that absolutely in every case A,B and C have same prime factor if the solution fits the equation.

posted on Jun, 7 2013 @ 08:31 AM
link   
This is what is looks like in alphabet numbers hope it helps

ax+by=cz

A=1 x=24+ b=2 y=25 = c=3 z=26

see the patteren other than that not a clue

posted on Jun, 7 2013 @ 08:32 AM
link   

ok, but you are trying to use numbers.. A B and C can be ANY and ALL numbers.. You can't just make it work once.. It has to work EVERY time.. This is at least 4 dimensional thought.. It's about logic..

The only point I see to the problem is expanding your thought process into higher dimensions..

This being said there is no solution.

Ax+ By = Cz.

A(2) x(9) + B(18) y(1) = C(72) z(.5)
18+18= 36

This is obviously not the right answer, but there is an answer, I am just trying to find the right one, I think math problems are fun, I used to do a lot of these kinds of things in my math classes in college.

There is always an answer, and it can be found, one must only warm up the old grey matter and think through the problem.

Just because I am trying to figure it out, and you seemingly dont like my methods, because they were based in math,not the hitch hikers guide to the galaxy. Like I care what you think.

In math there is only ever one correct answer to the problem, I am simply trying to find it for the fun of stimulation of my brain before I go to bed.

Loosen up you undies man.

posted on Jun, 7 2013 @ 08:35 AM
link   

If you can find one solution where A,B and C do not have same prime factor you have earned million.

Or you need to prove that absolutely in every case A,B and C have same prime factor if the solution fits the equation.

ok well now I see the equation quoted correctly..

nothing solves that equation, in math as I know it.

Starred above post with better equation.

posted on Jun, 7 2013 @ 08:36 AM
link   

a proof of this equation will involve 0 numbers..

you then said "in math there is only one solution."

This is not true.

And by the way I am very loose. This is a bad medium to show the expressions of a scorpio. I'm only motivated to speak when I see intelligence spreading.. It's in this topic.. I might sound pointed, but it's not for me that I come off like this.

posted on Jun, 7 2013 @ 08:39 AM
link   

reply to post by Cabin

It is a mistake in the original article. x, y and z are powers of A,B and C respectively. A is not multiplied by x, but powered by x.

Million dollar problem: Beal Conjecture

Beal conjecture is generalisation of Fermat Last Problem, one of the most famous mathemathical problems.
Fermat´s last problem.

Damn, so ya, thats tough........ I find it very interesting trying to wrap my head around it, time for some hotpockets and beer while I scribble some more on this note pad.

Thanks for the link, it helps working with the correct context.

posted on Jun, 7 2013 @ 08:48 AM
link   
ax + by + cz + d = 0, that's Google's answer!

I don't think they need the million dollars thought! LoL

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join