It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

True Heroes - Two Marines Stand Their Ground – Must Read!

page: 4
<< 1  2  3   >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 8 2013 @ 10:09 AM
link   
There is really only one thing Grunts fight for....survival.
They fight for their own survival, and the survival of their squad,then the survival of the platoon, then the survival of the company and on up.......
But mostly it is about the survival of the individual, and those closest to him/her in combat.
In the military....the # flows downhill......
Those at the bottom are usually concerned with surviving the # storm from above, and the wiles of the enemy to the front....the rest is just window dressing.....the medals, the heeeroes, the parades.any one of the survivors if you would ask them......would trade all the pomp and ceremony for just one lost comrade in arms.....
In Canada they have a highway that the dead soldiers are driven down after off loading from the aircraft.....
They call it the" Highway of heroes..."
I call it the " Street without joy".
All of this is just more propaganda, more mind control, more brainwashing.
I garantee you, that those in the military are no more willing to kill or be killed than you or i.
And not one of them is READY to DIE for anything. Death is thrust upon them....
That decision of HOW one dies... is made by each man when the moment comes....

posted on Jun, 8 2013 @ 11:24 AM
link   
When I was in the military I was told not to be a hero because most heroes are dead.

Your job isn't to get killed, it's to kill the enemy.

Dead guys are not heroes, they are just dead guys who died doing something heroic.

True heroes survive the heroic act to go on.

I appreciate what these two guys did, but I would rather they were around to tell their stories themselves.

posted on Jun, 8 2013 @ 12:00 PM
link   

Originally posted by MyHappyDogShiner
When I was in the military I was told not to be a hero because most heroes are dead.

Dead guys are not heroes, they are just dead guys who died doing something heroic.

True heroes survive the heroic act to go on.

I appreciate what these two guys did, but I would rather they were around to tell their stories themselves.

So If you were in that situation, you would choose to run for your own life to tell others about the death of more than 100 others including your friends and fellows and people would praise you as "story-telling hero" because you are only one wise enough to survive, huh? Remember no one wants to die to be hero, but there is always noble death which people grant with "heroic" title.

posted on Jun, 8 2013 @ 12:20 PM
link   

Originally posted by MyHappyDogShiner

Job description complied with. They just happened to die while completing it.
edit on 8-6-2013 by THE666OCCULT because: formatting

posted on Jun, 8 2013 @ 12:36 PM
link   

Originally posted by THE666OCCULT
Here come the hippies and America haters.

These men didn't choose the situation they were put into, they did not choose to declare a war, they just signed up to fight it so YOU or your BROTHER or your FATHER didn't get drafted.

Show some respect.

hippies? from the sixties?....you do know that they are retired and in their 60's and 70's now right?...also they didn't hate America, they hated certain policies put into practice by our federal government...much like right- wingers do today.
these 2 marines should be honored for their sacrifice. I had a couple of close friends that I grew up with, die in Viet Nam, and one friend from high school came back addicted to heroin, he never was the same again.
edit on 8-6-2013 by jimmyx because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 8 2013 @ 01:00 PM
link   
reply to post by THE666OCCULT

These men didn't choose the situation they were put into

No disrespect meant but yes they did when they signed up to join the armed forces.. We are all accountable for are own actions..

posted on Jun, 8 2013 @ 01:14 PM
link   
I wonder if there's anywhere I can see the uncut footage of this event. I saw a news story (linked through article in OP) which shows an edited version, but I'm curious exactly how much the tape shows.

Anyway.... this is a really sad story. And inspiring, of course. But sad. What I find myself curious about, is why it was impossible for them to blast at the truck until the occupants were dead, and maybe take out a few tires, before stepping to the side, or running like the article suggests any "normal, sane person" would have done.

Don't get me wrong-- I admire their bravery. And I"m sure there are 50 marines and a bunch of Iraqis who admire it more than I do. But I don't imagine they stopped this rushing truck with their bodies. Beyond a certain point, I can't see gunfire stopping a vehicle any more than it already has. I understand the whole thing supposedly took about 6 seconds, but some of the iraqis did have time to run, some supposedly even after firing their own weapons.

I do wonder if it was simply a lot of training and bravery that kept their feet planted, or if they truly didn't have time to run, or what really happened....

posted on Jun, 8 2013 @ 01:44 PM
link   
I really dont believe they thought to run.......there were just too many people that would have died for them to do that.
Marines are after all is said and done , still Marines.
Many more have died the same or similar ways to save fellow Marines.
There are snipers/machine gunners , who shoot to disable but not kill, and then shoot the ones who tried to help the wounded one....
This is not uncommon.at all in war....
How we still manage to rationalise such behavior, let alone reward it is beyond me....

posted on Jun, 8 2013 @ 02:13 PM
link   
reply to post by Xnibiru

Thank you, Xnibiru, for sharing what is unfortunately an unpopular topic on ATS.

Corporal Yale was part of the unit I once called home many moons ago (2nd Battalion, 8th Marine Regiment, 2nd Marine Division). That day Cpl Yale and Lcpl Haerter were practicing several of the 14 Marine Corps Leadership Traits they live by. These traits are ingrained in every Marine early on and enable Marines to lead with honor on the battlefield and in life.

*JUDGMENT

*DEPENDABILITY

*INITIATIVE

*DECISIVENESS

*BEARING

*UNSELFISHNESS

*COURAGE

*LOYALTY

RIP Marines!

Semper Fi

posted on Jun, 8 2013 @ 03:39 PM
link   
reply to post by stirling

So what do YOu want from warriors? We all know we HAVE to have them ,there is war. Stop war and we will find other lives. Denigration of good ones can lead to them seeking other lives.
"Good" you say? Not so when it's your turn to fill ranks because they haven't and because the govt wants bodies to throw at one of these "Limited Wars" they draft you.
We volunteered KNOWING we could die doing this because we knew it was in us to do so.We can shoot we like guns it's how we grew up and now WE are the bad guys?
I don't see YOUR logic could you explain it in such a way as to be clear and honest?
We aren't talking about emotions here we are talking about real life,how exactly we feel about it has nothing to do with it.

edit on 8-6-2013 by cavtrooper7 because: finished my point

posted on Jun, 8 2013 @ 08:55 PM
link   
Great post, these men were truly noble men.

posted on Jun, 8 2013 @ 09:45 PM
link   
Soviet heroes rosmolodost.ru... did not know they were dying and killing for the sake of appearance on the map of Israel know your characters, or at least guess p.s. need a translator
edit on 8/6/13 by mangust69 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 9 2013 @ 12:33 AM
link   
reply to post by Ismail

"The Ultimate Sacrifice is not dying for your country, but making the other poor bastard die for his." General Patton

You don't know anything about combat, therefore, you should keep your teeth together, before people suspect you to be a fool!!!

These men protected the lives of their fellow Marines and fellow Man; and I will not allow you to desecrate their selfless act by impugning upon their motives.

posted on Jun, 9 2013 @ 02:32 AM
link   

Originally posted by purplemer

These men didn't choose the situation they were put into

No disrespect meant but yes they did when they signed up to join the armed forces.. We are all accountable for are own actions..
If these guys weren't willfully joining the government would reinstate the draft lottery... Every person that didn't willfully volunteer should appreciate those that did... Even when there was a draft during the Vietnam debacle 67% of those that served there had enlisted or volunteered... If I had known that the country was going to be as divided as it is today I would have not gone.. I couldn't have had any respect for myself if I hadn't knowing that there were guys less fortunate that had to go... I had a legitimate way out and got in anyway.

posted on Jun, 9 2013 @ 12:38 PM
link   
8thwood.com... carried an article from the news paper until it wore out If the tag dosn't work, then Google Milt Olive. He was awared the CMH posthumously for saving his team mates. May God Bless The Heros who protect this nation

posted on Jun, 13 2013 @ 11:51 AM
link   

Originally posted by THE666OCCULT
reply to post by gladtobehere

So you believe we should show more respect to someone who violates a sworn oath to obey the orders of those appointed over them than to someone who gave their life to protect someone else?

This is the point that needs to be made: regardless of if you agree with the war, respect the one who fights it. There are 1000 keyboard warriors for every true man of arms. These men are out there every day, and trust me they don't want to be (I didn't, either) fighting in a war that is ridiculous and is hopeless, while everyone complains about it. WE have no choice.

Can you imagine how it feels to go through the things that one goes through in a war, and to have your experiences belittled or forgotten about simply because people don't like the war, or don't like the government?

Respect the warrior, not the war. Never forget the fallen, regardless of why they fell. They possess a strength and courage that most will never know.

The outcome of the Nuremberg Trials which were codified into the Geneva Conventions state in no uncertain terms that "just following orders" in not a valid excuse.

Furthermore, the Laws of Land Warfare state that a soldier not only has a legal right to refuse illegal, immoral orders, but that its his duty.

Further furthermore, the oath is to the Constitution and the Uniform Code of Military Justice, which states that it must be a lawful order.

So yes, those soldiers which have stood up and honored their oaths and the rule of law by refusing to serve, deserve admiration and respect. Those that have willingly gone along with these money wars, deserve to be treated like the criminals that they are, no different than the Nazis who served before them.

top topics

<< 1  2  3   >>

join