It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Gov Christie calls for wasteful special election just THREE WEEKS before his own re-election date.

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 7 2013 @ 06:19 AM
link   
Gov. Chris Cristie who once criticized special elections as being a huge waste of taxpayer money is now calling for one just three weeks in advance of the date for the New Jersey election in which he is running for re-election as governor.

Gov. Chris Christie opposes costly special election–then calls for one

On Thursday, Gov. Chris Christie picked Attorney General Jeffrey Chiesa to fill the late Sen. Frank Lautenberg’s vacant seat until October’s special election. But as a gubernatorial candidate in 2009, Christie said, “I don’t think any responsible governor at this point would call for a special election that would cost $10 million.”

The governor has announced the primary will be held on Aug. 13, while the special general election will follow on Oct. 16, just three weeks before Christie’s re-election date. According to New Jersey Office of Legislative Services, the special election is estimated to cost around $23.8 million.

MSNBC

I guess he didn't want the special election to steal away any of the thunder of his re-election campaign. He just didn't want to compete with the attention a senatorial election would bring to his re-election bid. That's the only reason I can think of for him not waiting a measly three weeks to hold the special election on the same date as the gubernatorial election.

But hey, its only gonna cost the Jersey taxpayers $23 million and they've got money to burn right? Probably skim it off of all those Federal bucks he got for the storm relief.

Total scumbag move IMHO. He's just looking to appease liberals and moderates so he can position himself for federal office in 2016. Sad thing is, it'll probably work.

posted on Jun, 7 2013 @ 06:33 AM
link   
reply to post by FortAnthem

For Christie everything is tied to the 2016 presidential election, so this move is both understandable and annoying. He wants a clear field for his reelection bid, so wants to keep the Democratic turnout down for that one. The dems have yet to put up a strong candidate against him (where's Bruce Springsteen when the dems really need him? Run Bruce Run!), so up until Lautenberger's death he had that day all to himself. Now with Cory Booker likely to run for the Senate, yonder lies dragons.

So what does he do? Steps on his own foot (and for him that's gotta hurt) by ordering a statewide election mere days ahead of the day he'd hope to call his own. This one is ripe to be howled about and changed long before that date, and my not-very-hard-to-predict prediction is that election day will see both the senatorial and gubernatorial races decided during the same vote. End result - a misstep on Christie's part (and again, that's gotta hurt!).

edit on 7-6-2013 by Aleister because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 7 2013 @ 08:01 AM
link   
Another example of why believing what a politician states as his beliefs is a waste of time. It's just an attempt to seize support at that instant.

Either these politicians don't see how transparent they are or they know people will very seldom care enough to act.

posted on Jun, 7 2013 @ 09:14 AM
link   
reply to post by FortAnthem

That's just ridiculous! Why have a special election when it could be added to the ballot for the regular election? Does this fool really believe he has a shot at the next presidential race? I think he just lessened his chances considerably with this stupid stunt.

posted on Jun, 7 2013 @ 09:28 AM
link   
reply to post by Aleister

Gotta love how he's trying to appeal to the left and center calling this special election while at the same time trying to suppress the democratic vote for his own election. Hypocrisy much?

I wonder if the left wing media will point this out as another example of right wing voter suppression or if they'll ignore it since he helped Obama get re-elected?

I really hope this comes back to bite him on the ass.

edit on 6/7/13 by FortAnthem because:

posted on Jun, 7 2013 @ 02:37 PM
link   
He should sue his surgeon for malpractice. It's evident that instead of his stomach, the surgeon placed the lapband around his brain.

posted on Jun, 8 2013 @ 10:15 AM
link   
I don't know about you folks in the rest of the country but, in my neck of the woods, we're being flooded with this God-awful freakin advertizement every ten seconds of so.

Its not so bad the first few times but, just imagine this running constantly, like twice every commercial break and every other minute on the radio and you will get the idea of what we have to live with here on the East coast.

You just know the state of New Jersey is picking up the tab for this ad but, you gotta figure; with the election just around the corner, this ad is furthering the narrative that Christie saved the shore after the big storm. How can this not be considered political advertizing at this time of year?

If I were his Democratic challenger, I'd be complaining about these ads and demanding that they remove Christie from them. Its fine to remind people that the shore is open now but, promoting the incumbent governor with state money this close to the election is just sleazy IMO.

posted on Jun, 8 2013 @ 10:19 AM
link   
where are all the republican tea-bagger-bots on ATS complaining about the waste of taxpayer money being used solely for political purposes......oh yeah, it can't be blamed on Obama, so move along, nothing to see here...
edit on 8-6-2013 by jimmyx because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

join