It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

At Fukushima, a aboveground tank leaking built to store contaminated water from another leaking tank

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 7 2013 @ 05:59 AM
link   

Fukushima Nuclear Crisis Update for June 4th to June 6th, 2013
June 7, 2013

This week, TEPCO announced yet another leak of radioactive water from a holding tank at the Fukushima Daiichi plant, site of the March 2011 nuclear disaster. This time, the leak affected an aboveground tank that had just been installed. In an ironic twist, TEPCO built the new tank (one of 38 installed in May) specifically to store contaminated water that was previously kept in leaking belowground storage pits.

A worker discovered radioactive water dripping from a seam approximately 4 meters from the ground. The tanks are 10 meters high and can hold 500 tons of water. Officials estimate that approximately one liter of water leaked over the course of four hours, and they note that groundwater levels remain below dangerous limits. But the event, one of numerous leaks that have occurred over past months, coupled with several power failures and other equipment breakdowns, once again has experts questioning whether TEPCO has the capacity to handle the ongoing crisis in the upcoming decades.

www.greenpeace.org...

posted on Jun, 7 2013 @ 06:06 AM
link   
Fighting a dragon I cannot see
June 5, 2013

fairewinds.org...

Audio, fairewinds.org...

Nathaniel White-Joyal, Host: It’s clear that the west coast of the United States will be affected by the radiation from the Fukushima Daiichi nuclear plant.

Akio Matsumura, Diplomat: Let me clarify. We are facing global disaster — catastrophe — occurring. From that perspective, over 40 years, 50 years, or maybe 100 years. We cannot escape from this fact. For that we have to keep in mind. […] This radioactive material, or contaminated water, any cases, reach out to your west coast as well. If you are counting on Japan, I can assure you now they do not take serious action.

enenews.com...

edit on 7-6-2013 by MariaLida because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 7 2013 @ 06:08 AM
link   
It seems like they are trying to juggle water-hot water ,

posted on Jun, 7 2013 @ 07:05 AM
link   
Why can't Tepco admit it is overwhelmed and ask for help from the rest of the world? I suspect that the situation may be far worse than they are owning up to and has been all along, and if true this would be exposed if they ask for help, along with their cover-ups and all the lies.

The best science brains from all over the world could gather together and work to find a solution, I would imagine they'd find it a satisfying challenge. If they are successful, what they discover could end up revolutionary and render nuclear waste disposal safe, or less hazardous at least.

It's got to be worth a try - there's nothing to lose and everything to gain at this point by the sounds of it.

posted on Jun, 7 2013 @ 08:48 AM
link   
The japanese are in france as we speak discussing re opening of a nuclear reprocessing plant in japan,are they mad?

posted on Jun, 8 2013 @ 01:34 PM
link   
Great thread dear lady. I saw this article in the Japan Times about Thyroid cancer checks in the Fukushima area and thought it was related enough to post here.

"Fukushima kids’ thyroids screened

Aid group provides parents with first real feedback, documents"

"Forty-four children living in areas of Fukushima Prefecture subject to high levels of radiation were screened for thyroid cancer Saturday in Tokyo, highlighting widespread health fears following the 2011 nuclear meltdowns crisis.

Saturday’s checkup in Shinjuku Ward was organized by a fund-raising group established by well-known journalist Ryuichi Hirokawa that supports young victims in the areas worst affected by the disaster at the Fukushima No. 1 plant.

Hirokawa, editor-in-chief of monthly magazine Days Japan, which is known for its in-depth photojournalism, said he immediately realized the risk of children in Fukushima developing thyroid cancer through covering the aftermath of the 1986 Chernobyl catastrophe for more than two decades.

He also expressed grave skepticism over the effectiveness of Fukushima’s local government-led screening programs for thyroid cancer, criticizing their infrequency and inadequate feedback..."

www.japantimes.co.jp...

top topics

join