It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Australian scientists invent bionic eye prototype

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 7 2013 @ 05:18 AM
link   
What a stunning breakthrough!

A team of Australian industrial designers and scientists have unveiled their prototype for the world's first bionic eye.

It is hoped the device, which involves a microchip implanted in the skull and a digital camera attached to a pair of glasses, will allow recipients to see the outlines of their surroundings.

If successful, the bionic eye has the potential to help over 85 per cent of those people classified as legally blind.

With trials beginning next year, Monash University's Professor Mark Armstrong says the bionic eye should give recipients a degree of extra mobility.

(Source).

edit on 7/6/13 by Sankari because: fixed url...

posted on Jun, 7 2013 @ 05:29 AM
link   
Cool very cyberpunk

Now when they can make it better so you can see in the dark, thermo, xray etc I will swap my normal eye for one.
Great news for people without sight.
S&F

BTW the source link doesn't work.
edit on 7-6-2013 by boymonkey74 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 7 2013 @ 05:34 AM
link   
is this the same australian team who invented the cochlear implant that has given hearing to thousands of deaf kids ???.

posted on Jun, 7 2013 @ 05:55 AM
link   

Originally posted by boymonkey74
Cool very cyberpunk

Now when they can make it better so you can see in the dark, thermo, xray etc I will swap my normal eye for one.
Great news for people without sight.
S&F

BTW the source link doesn't work.
edit on 7-6-2013 by boymonkey74 because: (no reason given)

Thanks, I have fixed the link.

posted on Jun, 7 2013 @ 05:57 AM
link   

Originally posted by bellagirl
is this the same australian team who invented the cochlear implant that has given hearing to thousands of deaf kids ???.

A different group, I think. I have a mate who received one of those cochlear implants. They are amazing.

new topics

top topics

join