It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

What's under Antarcticas Ice? -New high resolution map

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 7 2013 @ 11:05 AM
link   

Originally posted by donlashway
reply to post by shell69

Feel bad that ATS brings that feeling to you.
When I came here the trolls or shills or whatever they are called only condemned my spelling and I totally agreed with them I spell they way it sounds and everyone knows that's wrong.
Buy if they make you doubt your intelligence maybe they are going to far now, so sorry...

And to the Op sorry I went off track but think it needed to be said... How about a little love folks...

Very interested in what lies under it... with reports of ancient civilizations there helps to see it, thanks OP

I have to agree. I started a thread on Antarctica a few weeks ago and was bullied immediately. I posted some genuinely interesting anomolies and was shrugged off every time...I understand fully that I was going to be wrong a lot of the time...but not every one was laughable at all...some were really weird...like a face in a crater with surrounding megaliths arranged in an intelligent way...the face looks just like the one on mars...I think it needs more opinions. Instead it's shrugged off by other readers who see the dismissible posts first. It's frustrating...and it can make one self-conscious about posting anything on here that you feel strongly about.

I support your thread fully OP. S+F

posted on Jun, 7 2013 @ 11:14 AM
link   
Thank you OP! After a previous thread, I'd been meaning to hunt for a 3.d relief of Antarctica, if not try and make one myself by the raw GIS data available in high resolution survey flights. It's so great to see that, already done. What a wonderful place. If only we can find a way to explore it without destroying it in the process, I think there are some enormous surprises waiting there for those who make the trip and go to find them.

Thats an elevation map without the beautiful relief done in the OP graphic. Notice the black spots too...what a sight those must be, if seen without the Icepack above. The depth of some of those pits is incredible. So too, the mountains which break through kilometers of Ice Pack to be seen above. There is sure no shortage of space to hold wonder though. It's a huge place. Just, outright HUGE.
A couple other things to ponder...

Size comparison? Wow...

...and shorelines vs. ice pack in where the land actually starts...

posted on Jun, 7 2013 @ 11:19 AM
link   
whats under Antarctica? Atlantic!!!!!!!!!!

There as to be ancient cities under that ice
edit on 7-6-2013 by camaro68ss because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 7 2013 @ 11:56 AM
link   
Great pics! Thank you.

I read somewhere that Antartica was two continents pushed together. It looks like it in the pic.

Could it be possible that one or both of these continents drifted there from a warmer climate? Like when India shot of to Asia? If this were the case I think it would heighten the chances of finding buryed civilisations.

posted on Jun, 7 2013 @ 12:12 PM
link   

Originally posted by camaro68ss

Why? Much of the ice has been there for over 30,000,000 years and even during the Pliocene, some 4,000,000 years ago only some coastal fringes were ice free and more temperate.

Whatever you're beliefs on ancient civilisations, most of the world's landmass has always been a better place to live that Antarctica. Why would anyone - human or otherwise - build a civilisation there? Unless they like 6 months of darkness and rather cold weather ......

posted on Jun, 7 2013 @ 12:15 PM
link   
reply to post by Tsu322

Antarctica has been in situ for 10s of millions of years. Yes, it probably did form from the merging of two other landmasses, hundreds of millions of years ago.. Just as Russia did (the Urals are the join) - and, indeed, Britain.

These sites may be of interest:

www.coolantarctica.com...

www.discoveringantarctica.org.uk...
edit on 7-6-2013 by AndyMayhew because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 7 2013 @ 12:31 PM
link   

Originally posted by AndyMayhew

Originally posted by camaro68ss

Why? Much of the ice has been there for over 30,000,000 years and even during the Pliocene, some 4,000,000 years ago only some coastal fringes were ice free and more temperate.

Whatever you're beliefs on ancient civilisations, most of the world's landmass has always been a better place to live that Antarctica. Why would anyone - human or otherwise - build a civilisation there? Unless they like 6 months of darkness and rather cold weather ......

I disagree. There are old maps depicting antarctica with no ice on it. There are accounts in history when one day the day stood still and the sun did not move in the sky. This could be a polar shift? If so, Antarctica would have been ice free at one point.

posted on Jun, 7 2013 @ 12:52 PM
link   
Beat you to it.

www.abovetopsecret.com...

posted on Jun, 7 2013 @ 02:01 PM
link   
Beautiful, I consider myself so lucky to glimpse a relief of a landmass that has been buried for some two million years. In my opinion though, that timescale kicks any possibility of human civilization out the door, because, well, prior to the past few hundred thousand years we were pretty simple, though, I imagine, smart enough to realize the continent would be a terrible place to live if some motley band of cro-magnon were to have stumbled upon it. There is however a vast amount of time between the end of the Cretaceous and the cool down near the beginning of the Oligocene where some very interesting beasties could have evolved. Now ruined, crushed, and completely forgotten

posted on Jun, 7 2013 @ 02:10 PM
link   
reply to post by AndyMayhew

I'm note here that even 30 million years is a very young ice cap to a 4 billion year old planet. I think the true timelines involved in our own history on this world are too long and massive to easily box into thought to consider.

For all we know, the last 30 million years have been the downside of the slope for Earth development and our best days as a planet came before that. Who knows? It's too long for much of artificial creation that we know materials to use to have lived and tell any tale from.

posted on Jun, 7 2013 @ 02:19 PM
link   
I can only imagine the amount of natural resources, precious metals, and fossils that are down there. Wouldn't want to see open pit mines or anything lol, but there's a lot of stuff down there. Believe it!
Also hot spots! every continent has it's share of hot spots. A Yellowstone type of situation with the hot springs and geysers would carve out a pretty big chunk down there if one existed. What an interesting ecosystem that would be.
edit on 7-6-2013 by canucks555 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 7 2013 @ 02:58 PM
link   
i wonder how accurate Piri Reis' map is to this?

just a thought...........................

posted on Jun, 7 2013 @ 06:57 PM
link   

Originally posted by Wrabbit2000

[pic]bn51919704.png[/]

This is a pic of The Orontius Finaeus Map of 1531 From the thread linked in my signature:

Discovered in the Library of Congress by Charles Hapgood in 1960, the Orontius Finaeus Map also shows an ice-free Antarctica. In fact, the map details flowing rivers, drainage patterns, a clean coastline, and mountain ranges only recently discovered. Some people claim the Orontius Finaeus Map to be the most accurate map of the area prior to the 1800s.

Another tidbit of proof is the Ross sea. Today huge glaciers feed into it, making it a floating ice shelf hundreds of feet thick. Yet this map and the Reis map show estuaries and rivers at the site.

In 1949 coring was done to take samples of the ice and sediment at the bottom of the Ross Sea. They clearly showed several layers of stratification, meaning the area went through several environmental changes. Some of the sediments were of the type usually brought down to the sea by rivers. Tests done at the Carnegie Institute in Washington DC, which date radioactive elements found in sea water, dated the sediments at about 4000 BC, which would mean the area was ice free with flowing rivers up until that time - exactly what is recorded on the Reis and Finaeus maps.

Who would have knowledge of the area in 4000 BC? In my understanding of world history (and admittedly I am a novice) the area was supposedly unexplored.

What do you think? Pretty close?
edit on 7-6-2013 by smyleegrl because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 7 2013 @ 07:57 PM
link   
reply to post by smyleegrl

I think....we need to put more effort into learning natural history and the background of our own? It's close enough with other material to say it's a map that can't exist by known science for the status of Antarctica and it's 'known' history.

I may buy that a map can survive hundreds ..even a couple thousand years if just in the right fluke of circumstance for preservation. However, 14-30 MILLION years as they suggest the age of ice is down there? I think our methods of age estimation may be deeply flawed, eh?

posted on Jun, 7 2013 @ 08:15 PM
link   

I may buy that a map can survive hundreds ..even a couple thousand years if just in the right fluke of circumstance for preservation. However, 14-30 MILLION years as they suggest the age of ice is down there? I think our methods of age estimation may be deeply flawed, eh?
reply to post by Wrabbit2000

Perhaps.....it's an intriguing mystery, though. Just something that makes me wonder sometimes, that's all.

posted on Jun, 7 2013 @ 08:23 PM
link   
reply to post by smyleegrl

Oh, I didn't mean to say your map isn't valid.. I'm saying it may well be because it's not the only one I've seen now that claims to show the same thing ..and shouldn't be physically possible to exist. Yet, there is it and it does, in fact, exist. Doesn't it?

It leaves a paradox. How can something which can't exist....exist? Either the reason we call it impossible is wrong, or the maps themselves are a hoax. That hoax part may have played .... before the hyper accurate surveying of what lay beneath the Ice. The surveys shown in this thread are the very rough and simplified versions of that, of course. th Science stuff would be boring as heck, but it backs up what your showing.

So....The reason we say the map is impossible must be wrong, correct? 'When all other possibilities are eliminated, whatever remains, must be the truth'. Right? Interesting mysteries..indeed!

posted on Jun, 7 2013 @ 10:03 PM
link   
I found a High res (as the op suggests) pic:
cool
Great desktop back ground btw

Full pic:
indagadores.files.wordpress.com...

edit on 7-6-2013 by canucks555 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 7 2013 @ 11:09 PM
link   
You know, being ATS and all, something else occurs to me. In looking at that OP graphic and spending real time at the NSIDC Site (which links out to other sites in many directions for data as well), Some Governments are spending an awful lot of time analyzing the precise topography and scale of Antarctica, beneath the ice.

Recall, by resources required and involved in reaching and supporting teams on the Ice, nothing down there is truly and strictly private. All the flights that I've looked at are also Government. Not necessarily Military, but Government.

Now the image in this thread also leaves out something else that I'm pretty sure the people who produced, it did have versions showing.

^ ^ It's a very large graphic showing a 'beneath the ice' view of the River and Lake system...liquid type and interconnected, they suspect may be down there. I believe the looking really started picking up in dramatic ways after Lake Vostok was discovered. The source is the National Science Foundation on that one.

So, what got me to thinking with all that... I wonder if the idea of exploring down beneath the ice is a little more advanced than pure theory? It's an interesting thought anyway. To give an idea of scale for that graphic, as everything about Antarctica is colossal in scale, here is a quick bit of the stats of Lake Vostok....as the little blue smudge among so many possible others.

One of the world's largest lakes is virtually unknown. Not only because it is never visited but because it was only discovered in 1996. Lake Vostok, estimated to be the approximate size of Lake Ontario, is still being explored from a distance.

Most people are amazed to find that a lake of liquid fresh water lies beneath the Antarctic ice. In fact, 145 such lakes have so far been discovered. The lakes remain liquid only because the water is pressurized by the immense weight of the ice above, lowering the freeze temperature to 30 degrees. Residual heat from the earth's core adds the few precious degrees needed to keep the water from freezing.
Source

It sure would be something if someone came up with a way to exploit possible connections between them, from beneath. The above link does have an update saying they took direct lake water samples in Jan. of 2013.

It's a place which may yet have many things to surprise everyone with.

posted on Jun, 7 2013 @ 11:17 PM
link   
Build the "Ice Driller" with the ice penatrating H.U.D, Some Fresh "Oh Henry" bars, and sign me up Scotty

posted on Jun, 8 2013 @ 01:34 AM
link   
The lost land of Antartica - probably the true origins of Atlantis.. The story of Atlantis is probably WAY older then Plato or known literature/language.

Like all good stories and verbal history passed on - things get mistranslated, mis understood, or contorted for one selfish person's benefit

Im sure our governments will find out whats hidden there sooner or later - even if it means blowing it up lol.

Thanks for the thread canuck, Antartica is land of the myesterious. Maybe one day it wont be so myesterious - maybe that day isnt to far away

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join