It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

What's under Antarcticas Ice? -New high resolution map

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:
+19 more 
posted on Jun, 7 2013 @ 03:24 AM
link   

It's taken 20 years and over 25 million measurements, but we now have a new map of Antarctica that strips away the ice to give us a better look at what's underneath. Although Antarctica is a vast continent that you could fit all of Canada into with plenty of room to spare, we've only seen about half of a per cent of the actual land (about the equivalent of mainland Nova Scotia). However, thanks to an international effort led by the British Antarctic Survey, that gathered 25 million measurements over the past 20 years, we now have an incredibly accurate look at the actual continent underneath all that ice.

ca.news.yahoo.com...

Thought this was very interesting and have always wondered whats down there. Definitely alien looking landscapes.

edit on 7-6-2013 by canucks555 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 7 2013 @ 03:30 AM
link   
It's Megatronn..Captain Wik wiki OTW there..

Sory just kidding..nice post sir..I am so curious as you sir..maybe other member have any nice sugestion

posted on Jun, 7 2013 @ 03:31 AM
link   
reply to post by canucks555

Wish this meant something to me :O However I am no geographer? However, If the ice is going to melt, maybe atleast we could plant something or gather some resource from this area...to a numb nutt like me this is the only way to make up for the horrible reality of all the melting ice!!!
Go ahead everyone, talk to me like I am stupid...I expect this from ATS

posted on Jun, 7 2013 @ 03:34 AM
link   
reply to post by shell69

no one call you stupid here sir..just corious person you are..like me

posted on Jun, 7 2013 @ 03:36 AM
link   
Well there's definitely some serious cliffs (upper right of the photo especially) and jagged steep mountain ranges.(lower middle) If it's bigger than Canada some of those mountains are amazingly tall.
edit on 7-6-2013 by canucks555 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 7 2013 @ 03:56 AM
link   
A nice open planed area also - right hand side next to the sea at the foot of those monster cliffs

Nice flat plane to farm ......next to the sea .......a nice natural sea break/port.....plenty of fresh water run off from the high ground and cliffs............first place I'd look for an ancient settlement
Snf

posted on Jun, 7 2013 @ 03:57 AM
link   
Thanks for this, I too wondered what it looked like under there. I expect it is much higher in detail once all that weight melts off and the land rebounds. Looks kind of squished to me. A whole new land we can rape and pillage, yipee!

posted on Jun, 7 2013 @ 05:07 AM
link   
I can see why the Nazis fled there to hide under the ice, i bet under that rock its rather nice and warm!

Looks amazing makes you think what it would be like if uncovered and left in the sun shine for a thousand years, i wonder if dormant plants from another era would grow!

posted on Jun, 7 2013 @ 07:35 AM
link   
WOW! Awesome find, thanks for sharing.

Next step would be to dig a huge tunnel down to the land mass and explore it for ancient ruins and such.

I wanna go! I wanna go!

posted on Jun, 7 2013 @ 07:40 AM
link   
Its nice to see the "mountain" valley and hill lines.... all i aw before was just a white splotch.

Come on continental drift! hurry it up! bring Antarctica into like Caribbean area hehehe.

posted on Jun, 7 2013 @ 07:48 AM
link   
reply to post by shell69

Feel bad that ATS brings that feeling to you.
When I came here the trolls or shills or whatever they are called only condemned my spelling and I totally agreed with them I spell they way it sounds and everyone knows that's wrong.
Buy if they make you doubt your intelligence maybe they are going to far now, so sorry...

And to the Op sorry I went off track but think it needed to be said... How about a little love folks...

Very interested in what lies under it... with reports of ancient civilizations there helps to see it, thanks OP

posted on Jun, 7 2013 @ 08:51 AM
link   
Not sure if it's just poorly mapped but upper left is a fairly circular looking "crater". That'd be a planetary change.

posted on Jun, 7 2013 @ 09:00 AM
link   
That's pretty cool - with all that ice, I never really considered the topography of antartica and just how big the actual continent really is. Thanks for sharing! S&F.

posted on Jun, 7 2013 @ 09:01 AM
link   

I think it would be awesome if we could actually do some archeological digs there someday with the ice being gone. Part of me feels that a lot of our secrets in life and civilizations are lost on these snow and ice covered grounds. All those ancient maps showing it with no ice. I would just love to see something of great ancestral value found there. Maybe answers to how things were built or even the origin of life. Who knows I would like to think that maybe things were hidden there knowing in the future it would be a no go zone. Just my thoughts sorry I had no serious input just dreams and wishes

posted on Jun, 7 2013 @ 09:49 AM
link   
Is there only this animation from a specific perspective?
Or can I get this "high resolution map" somewhere to take a look at it?

posted on Jun, 7 2013 @ 10:22 AM
link   
That is amazing!! Thanks for sharing!

These type of threads are the reason I joined this site.. And it seems there is a huge land mass under there, I wonder if we stripped back the ice, would we find evidence of an ancient civilization? That is before the corporations bring in the drilling equipment and excavators..

posted on Jun, 7 2013 @ 10:24 AM
link   

bit of a stretch, but, anyone else notice a similarity of the lines they used to show how they scanned to the ancient sites with ahve with lines like nazca?

What an odd coincidence :p

I find anything we don't have vast knowledge of interesting.

What I fear ... is our destruction of this continent if the ice ever melts off. Strip mining, tourism, trash, pollution, etc.

I hope it stays frozen until we become a more enlightened species ... as to preserve the innocence of this land from our abuse. To allow it to be studied in purity, as if it was a foreign body. Excavated and examined scientifically for clues to our history, both human, life/migrations, and the planet itself.

We have a unique opportunity with this landmass ... I just see us as to infantile a species to properly appreciate and respect it; it won't be capitalized for it natural beauty and pristine condition, but for whatever monetization they can get out of it ... that is unless we can get the world to agree to make it a natural sanctuary not to be used for hotels, mining, housing, etc.

posted on Jun, 7 2013 @ 10:27 AM
link   
It would be great to have a zoomable top down version.
I bet there are a few ancient cities we could indentify from that perspective.

It sort of looks a bit like America/Canada with that huge mountain range running through the middle.

posted on Jun, 7 2013 @ 10:43 AM
link   
Thank you for this

Antarctica is truly unique looking when compared to anything on this rock.

I have one question. Can anyone locate the "Openings", "Gateway" or "Entrance" on the map?

posted on Jun, 7 2013 @ 10:53 AM
link   
Thankyou so much for this thread...I've been scouring the antarctic myself and I am so frustrated with the lack of detail on Google earth...there are so many interesting things that I want to see.

For any new info I glean from this thread I will absolutely give credit to your input.

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join