It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Game of Thrones - Mythological Figures & "Occult" Rituals

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 7 2013 @ 01:33 AM
link   
----- WARNING SPOILERS -----

With the conclusion of season 3 of Game of Thrones I have noticed some interesting themes involving the characters and families in relation primarily to the old Mystery Schools.

The first involves the character Gendry.

The only piece of armor he made for himself was a helmet designed after a bull.

Now come season 3 the Red Woman is engaging in mass human sacrifice by fire which was attributed to the Ammo nite/ Canaanite/ Phoenician god Moloch. Worship of the god was said to involve throwing children to the flames before a bull headed idol. The bull head as many know came from the house, or in this case throne, in which the Sun was residing in its procession. The bull would be the constellation Taurus.

Moreover the Red Woman makes a reference to the "Silent Sisters" whose symbol is a 7 pointed star when talking to Gendry. One could easily make the argument she was talking about the Pleiades which is a grouping of 7 stars in the Taurus constellation.

Pleiades
en.wikipedia.org...

In astronomy, the Pleiades (/ˈplaɪ.ədiːz/ or /ˈpliː.ədiːz/), or Seven Sisters (Messier object 45 or M45), is an open star cluster containing middle-aged hot B-type stars located in the constellation of Taurus.

The name Pleiades comes from Greek mythology; the celestial entity has several meanings in different cultures and traditions.

The Red Woman is a worshiper of what appears to be a Sun god meme with strong Biblical references to the "Scarlet Woman" who rides the "Beast" with a cup full of her iniquities. This character is often depicted drinking from a cup of wine before she gets involved in killing others.

Following all these human sacrifices the Red Woman goes on a journey and returns with Gendry the "bull god."

On the journey she encounters the young Arya who had just made the comment that her god was "death." This in itself meant nothing to me until I recalled the saying of their house "winter is coming." Winter was always associated with the constellation Capricorn, also known as the "house of death" or in this case "throne." This involves the Sun rising in the house of Capricorn at the onset of winter. Winter was a time where people would starve and freeze and thus the association with death.

House (astrology) - Capricorn
en.wikipedia.org...

en.wikipedia.org...

Despite its faintness, Capricornus has one of the oldest mythological associations, having been consistently represented as a hybrid of a goat and a fish since the Middle Bronze Age. First attested in depictions on a cylinder-seal from around the 21st century BC,[4] it was explicitly recorded in the Babylonian star catalogues as MULSUḪUR.MAŠ "The Goat-Fish" before 1000 BC. The constellation was a symbol of the god Ea and in the Early Bronze Age marked the winter solstice.

So we had a "Scarlet Woman" who worships the "Lord of Light" (a.k.a. the Sun) and passing the "house of death" (Capricorn) and returning with "Moloch" (Taurus).

I thought it was quite the clever regurgitation of the same old stories we have had for thousands of years.
edit on 7-6-2013 by FriedBabelBroccoli because: 101

posted on Jun, 7 2013 @ 02:49 AM
link   
reply to post by FriedBabelBroccoli

Yeah,

Science fiction/Fantasy writers often reference and/or adapt old religions and theology for their stories.

posted on Jun, 7 2013 @ 02:57 AM
link   
reply to post by FriedBabelBroccoli

Game of Thrones is based on a series of books.

At least the bad people - I think most of the characters have thier major flaws - are the "villians".

I think it's a great form of escapism - and I don't discount the many occult references.

I love Game of Thrones - and I don't watch much t.v.

Obviously it's rated R or X - your 12 year old shouldn't be watching it.

posted on Jun, 7 2013 @ 06:23 PM
link   
Part II

Another character taken straight from the Greek mystery schools is Thoros who is clearly Dionysus.

gameofthrones.wikia.com...

Thoros, commonly known as Thoros of Myr, is a character in the third season. He is played by Paul Kaye. Thoros is a red priest of the Lord of Light and a noted warrior.

Some time later, the Brotherhood is found by Melisandre who is looking for a blood relative (Gendry) of Stannis Baratheon, in order to be able to create more Shadows. She is surprised to find Thoros among them, and berates him for giving up on his mission to convert King Robert to their religion. Thoros takes her to Beric, where she examines him and realizes that he has been brought back from death. When she asks Thoros how many times he brought him back, he responds with six. Stunned, she claims that he should not have that kind of power, to which he simply remarks that he has no power, he only asks the Lord for favors, and the Lord responds.

Dionysus - the god of the vine and one of the few gods capable of returning spirits from the underworld.
www.greekmythology.com...

Dionysus is also one of the very few that was able to bring a dead person out of the underworld.

Dionysus became one of the most important gods in everyday life. He became associated with several key concepts. One was rebirth after death. Here his dismemberment by the Titans and return to life is symbolically echoed in tending vines, where the vines must be pruned back sharply, and then become dormant in winter for them to bear fruit. The other is the idea that under the influence of wine, one could feel possessed by a greater power.

Also worthy of mention is his use of a flaming sword to intimidate his enemies on the battlefield. Though not directly related to Dionysus it is a reference to Kabbalic tradition of ascent (or descent) through the spheres.

The Kabbalah
www.newtimes.org...

When this zigzag path is traced on the glyph, kabbalists refer to it as the Thunderbolt or the Flaming Sword.

It is becoming quite evident where the primary inspiration for the characters of Game of Thrones has come from.

posted on Jun, 8 2013 @ 06:31 PM
link   
Part 3

Speculative use of the constellation Gemini as the "Twins."

Gemini (constellation)
en.wikipedia.org...

Gemini is one of the constellations of the zodiac. It was one of the 48 constellations described by the 2nd century AD astronomer Ptolemy and it remains one of the 88 modern constellations today. Its name is Latin for "twins," and it is associated with the twins Castor and Pollux in Greek mythology. Its symbol is Gemini.svg (Unicode ♊).

The easiest way to locate the constellation is to find its two brightest stars Castor and Pollux eastward from the familiar “V” shaped asterism of Taurus and the three stars of Orion’s belt. Another way is to mentally draw a line from the Pleiades star cluster located in Taurus and the brightest star in Leo, Regulus. In doing so, you are drawing an imaginary line that is relatively close to the ecliptic, a line which intersects Gemini roughly at the midpoint of the constellation, just below Castor and Pollux.

Now some interesting points are that they hint at the continued "solar journey" through the signs of the zodiac and reenactment of the tales associated with these constellations. As for the twins in GoT the tale of Castor and Pollux can clearly be found expressing itself.

Castor and Pollux are brothers and the story goes that one is dead in the underworld while the other lives and routinely switch places with each other. There is also a tale about them stealing a heard of cattle from the Sun god Apollo.

So we have the continued theme of mystery school zodiac stories associated with the constellation Taurus as well as the Sun.

Arya, thought to be dead is being accompanied by the Hound who can be a reference to Anubis the dog headed guardian of the dead. She is returning to life in the eyes of a family who thought she was dead only to find that they have been slain and symbolically have crossed over into the realm of the underworld from which Arya was exiting.

Castor and Pollux
en.wikipedia.org...

Whether the children are thus mortal and which half-immortal is not consistent among accounts, nor is whether the twins hatched together from one egg. In some accounts, only Polydeuces was fathered by Zeus, while Leda and her husband Tyndareus conceived Castor. This explains why they were granted an alternate immortality.

www.constellationsofwords.com...

. . . stole Apollo's cattle and then invented the lyre (Lyra) and offered it to Apollo . . .

(post by sunnyydv27 removed for a serious terms and conditions violation)

posted on Sep, 1 2018 @ 06:35 AM
link   
never watched a single episode but seen some still pictures which wreak with Occult symbology.

posted on Sep, 1 2018 @ 06:48 AM
link   
After watching all the episodes twice I am picking up a lot of the symbolism this time around. Anyone have a theory about the Faceless God? It seems really extraneous to me somehow, like wasted story time.

I do get an overall fatalistic sense from the show where no one gets out in one piece.
I'm rooting for the Hound myself; I'd rather see him King than Jon or Daenerys.

(post by sunny23 removed for a serious terms and conditions violation)

top topics

join