It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Wooh My Gad!!

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 6 2013 @ 10:19 PM
link   

Why haven't I ever been told about this "Chicago style" pizza??!?!

In all my life I've never heard of such a thing... Perhaps because im Canadian?

I've been looking at pictures for about 20 mins...

Now im on the hunt!

I gotta find out where to get me one of these beasts!

Im used to flat pizza... usually with a pathetically thing layer of toppings... More dough then anything...

What the HELL!!

Yes I know I live under a rock... pardon my rantings

I think im hungry...

edit on 6-6-2013 by Akragon because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 6 2013 @ 10:33 PM
link   
reply to post by Akragon

In America that would be consider a snack. Since it looks so small. But I love pizza so very, very much! Combination and supreme pizza is the best!

posted on Jun, 6 2013 @ 10:37 PM
link   
reply to post by Phoenix267

This looks more like lasagna... and that's not a great picture... but the other ones didn't show the inside, they were almost all cheese.....

WHY is it so THICK?!?!

It makes the pizza l've had look like a Dorito!

posted on Jun, 6 2013 @ 10:41 PM
link   
reply to post by Akragon

Yes, I agree. It's thick, deep, and cheesy. I have never had it before. I would like to try one with a lot of different toppings. I do love large pizzas with a lot of cheese, sauce, and toppings. Where it feels like it's more than a flat pancake.

posted on Jun, 6 2013 @ 10:46 PM
link   
reply to post by Phoenix267

Look at this frickin thing!!!

Im just pissed that I've been wasting my time with flat doughy pizza...

posted on Jun, 6 2013 @ 10:50 PM
link   
reply to post by Akragon

Whoa pizza pie! Now that is what I call a deep dish pizza.
You have to get one soon!

posted on Jun, 6 2013 @ 11:14 PM
link   
Mmmmmm....pizza

posted on Jun, 6 2013 @ 11:17 PM
link   
Mmmmmmm Deep Dish Pizza!

Being a Chicagoland native, I always order from here: www.rosatispizza.com...

Deep Dish or Pan is just a pizza made in a deeper pan. Crust on bottom, then sauce, then toppings, then cheese.

Chicago Style is the same, but crust on bottom, then cheese, then toppings, then sauce.

I prefer thick crust pizza in the winter, but now I think I know what I'm having for lunch tomorrow.

posted on Jun, 6 2013 @ 11:20 PM
link   
reply to post by DaTroof

Ya that sounds like the pizza I know...

This lil beasty is foreign territory... and I think I have to invade!

I claim this land of toppings in the name of Canada!

And the good people of its lands that have been deprived of said greasy goodness...

posted on Jun, 6 2013 @ 11:24 PM
link   

Originally posted by Akragon
reply to post by DaTroof

Ya that sounds like the pizza I know...

This lil beasty is foreign territory... and I think I have to invade!

I claim this land of toppings in the name of Canada!

And the good people of its lands that have been deprived of said greasy goodness...

I will trade you one Chicago Style pizza with sausage, fresh garlic and pepperoni for your finest poutine. deal?

posted on Jun, 6 2013 @ 11:27 PM
link   
reply to post by DaTroof

Done...

Yer getting a raw deal though...

Poutine is yummy... but this is PIZZA!

like triple decker style!

K im starving...

posted on Jun, 6 2013 @ 11:45 PM
link   
reply to post by Akragon

If I'm not mistaken here (and please correct me if I'm wrong) this is the big difference between NY pizza and Chicago pizza.

NY pizza is big flat and floppy and you must fold it over on itself to eat it. Chicago pizza is more like something served in a deep baking dish (looks way yummier too).

My husband is a NY Italian and when he wants a pizza, he insists on going down to this little mom and pop Italian place to get his big flat floppy pizza. It tastes like crap
but that's what he likes!

posted on Jun, 7 2013 @ 07:14 AM
link   
Not to really advertise myself, but i've posted a link on ATS for a deep dish dough recipe that received generally favorable reviews.

I love both Chicago deep dish pizza and foldable new york pizza as much as each other, just at different moods. However, I will say that during my only visit to Chicago ever, I had original deep dish pizza made with cornmeal in the dough and everything, and getting in the building on a saturday during the afternoon took us a few hours wait in a line, but it was something i really wanted to experience. It was not good! Nobody in my family particularly enjoyed the pizza. It was dry and kind of bland. I was expecting so much more. That being said, that was two years ago and I cannot for the life of me remember the name of that pizzeria.

Deep dish dough recipe:

www.abovetopsecret.com...

Okay so technically this dough is for pan pizza not deep dish. But the result is a deep, thick pizza, as you'll see in the pictures.

posted on Jun, 7 2013 @ 09:00 AM
link   
Oh I get bad food cravings when I watch food network or the travel channel.
The one on Chicago pizza made me want to fly out there.

posted on Jun, 7 2013 @ 12:49 PM
link   
you can make a reasonable facsimile here:
www.abovetopsecret.com...

No baking experience or kneading required

posted on Jun, 7 2013 @ 08:18 PM
link   
Had Chicago style pizza,in Chicago . I just don't like it. I prefer a light crust . If I want something like this,I have lasagna

posted on Jun, 10 2013 @ 03:38 PM
link   

Chicago Style is the same, but crust on bottom, then cheese, then toppings, then sauce.

Yep, that is correct, never got that though...the cheese is what holds it all together....

I prefer NY style, where you have to fold it, but then I'm not a big crust fan. My wife likes the Chicago style though.
Oddly enough, one of my best friends, Italian and lived in Chicago, prefers NY style too. In fact, some of his relatives own a local NY style pizza place.

posted on Jun, 11 2013 @ 02:22 AM
link   
I've been having visions of this for the past two weeks!

I've made the Chicago deep dish that was posted a while back. ...for any haters, they don't use corn meal, they use semolina flour.

Wife hates deep dish pizza's... The lawyer said that it wouldn't be a good reason to divorce her, so I compromised. I use the same deep dish pizza dough, rolled thin (yuk). Top with toppings like the 'normal' person likes..

My vision solution, which is very much like the first pic, is to make the deep dish dough. Roll the dough thin. Place into an olive oiled cake pan. Have to use plenty of oil in my vision. Double layer your toppings with a light sauce in between. Bake at 450 for about 22 to 27 mins. The crust will be chewy and able to hold the toppings together.

Almost forgot, you stretch the dough in the cake pan, pushing the dough up the sides to create a pie crust effect.

Have yet to make my vision...but I think your post will drive my hunger into doing it before this week is up.

Thank you.

top topics

join