It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

69 Years ago today - June 6 1944 - D Day - How it was for my dad

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 6 2013 @ 09:10 PM
link   
I didn't see a thread on this. I used search and it turned up nothing. But -

69 years ago today (June 6 1944) was D Day.

My dad was there. I remember him telling me they gave them steak for the last meal they had before the landing.

He didn't talk about it much when I was growing up. Before he passed he opened up about it some. I found some written accounts he had done about it after his death too...

My dad landed on Omaha Beach.

On his craft they let them out too far out, and for some of the shorter guys the water was over their heads.

He said his buddies were dying in the water all around him. Bullets hitting the water looked like someone throwing great handfuls of gravel into the ocean.

A good friend yelled at him, "Play dead! Play dead!" So he did. He and his buddy floated like they were dead and among the dead until they felt sand under them and then they took off running as fast as they could.

When they hit the beach there was the wreckage of a landing craft and they hid behind it. He said it was just him and his buddy there at first behind the craft. When he looked up and down the beach right that first time all he saw was dead GIs.

Then a guy came out of the water near them and they yelled at him to come over. Soon another made it out and joined them. Then another, and another, till a small group was hiding behind that wrecked craft with bullets flying all around.

He cried when he told me about his friends, twin brothers. One was hiding behind the wrecked landing craft with dad and they saw the other twin make it ashore, only to get shot as he ran to them. Dad grabbed at the twin hiding with him behind the boat. But he tore free and ran to his brother - and died beside him.

In dad's words, "When we got enough behind there that we thought we could do something..and when we started to running out of room to hide..we charged up the beach.."

Heroes each and every one on that day. Most are gone now, but when they were young they really did help to save the world.

I miss you dad...

posted on Jun, 6 2013 @ 09:19 PM
link   
reply to post by Frogs

You're Dad is a true Hero and I am most grateful for his service.

posted on Jun, 6 2013 @ 09:21 PM
link   
Better men than me died that day, on both sides of the conflict.

There must be a better way! War should start at the top and work its way down from there. Shoot the leaders and then the Politicians, the Generals and so forth.

Your Father was a brave man, I salute him and his courage.

P

posted on Jun, 6 2013 @ 09:33 PM
link   
reply to post by Frogs

He is a Hero. My Grandfather served in D-Day as well but I was to your to talk to him about it before he passed. May your father rest in peace.

posted on Jun, 7 2013 @ 01:01 AM
link   
My dad was in the Pacific theater. I have read some of his letters to my grandmother. His descriptions of beach landings on those islands were very similar to this but on a smaller scale.

posted on Jun, 7 2013 @ 10:00 AM
link   
Thank you to your Dad, and men like him. Bless them, and may all those who have passed rest in peace.

posted on Jun, 11 2013 @ 03:41 PM
link   
My Grandfather was in the Navy during World War 2, served in the Pacific theater. It was without a doubt a great generation. ~$heopleNation

top topics

join