It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The whole Gay/Lesbian issue just took a step in the wrong direction

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 6 2013 @ 09:12 PM
link   
reply to post by Agit8dChop

But just stop for a minute and ask yourself why you believe that you know better than the scientists who have dedicated their lives to these fields and have undergone rigorous peer review and critical analysis of their results.

If you have some new evidence which counters the current science then you should write a journal article and present it to them.

Until then your just one guy with an opinion.

edit on 6/6/13 by polarwarrior because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 6 2013 @ 09:23 PM
link   
woah, sense some hostility there.

And no, i do not believe every gay person would say that. Have you asked every gay person?
I know people who've been straight and decided their gay, maybe its because what they preferred who knows, but were they born that way? I don't think even they would say that.

The mind changes and develops from birth to adulthood to say your born with one mental premises and it sticks with you sounds like your categorizing homosexuality as a disorder or a disease, which obviously it isn't.

posted on Jun, 6 2013 @ 09:24 PM
link   
reply to post by polarwarrior

....and that's all I've claimed to be.

Look how hostile people get when you suggest something they don't agree with?

Can you show me a scientific study that proves being gay is a characteristic your born with?

Considering that scientists are still lost when it comes to the human mind, emotion, love and dreams would you then be looking at this to be a physical thing?

posted on Jun, 6 2013 @ 09:26 PM
link   

Originally posted by Agit8dChop
woah, sense some hostility there.

And no, i do not believe every gay person would say that. Have you asked every gay person?
I know people who've been straight and decided their gay, maybe its because what they preferred who knows, but were they born that way? I don't think even they would say that.

The mind changes and develops from birth to adulthood to say your born with one mental premises and it sticks with you sounds like your categorizing homosexuality as a disorder or a disease, which obviously it isn't.

No, it's a variation like skin or eye color.
edit on 6-6-2013 by LordDerpingtonSmythe because: .

posted on Jun, 6 2013 @ 09:28 PM
link   
reply to post by LordDerpingtonSmythe

but is that not a physical characteristic that can be traced through genetics? and scientifically proven?

posted on Jun, 6 2013 @ 09:29 PM
link   
I just want to say here that I am not anti-homosexual.
I have no issues with it, do what makes you happy life's good enjoy it.

But I have issues with this 'fact' people trumpet that your born gay or straight.

I believe its more to do with your values and attitudes in your life, your upbringing and that you ultimately trend towards being straight or being homosexual.

posted on Jun, 6 2013 @ 09:30 PM
link   
reply to post by TheLieWeLive

...so it stands to reason that gay couples can produce straight kids.

Actually it stands to reason that gay couples cannot produce any children...

posted on Jun, 6 2013 @ 09:35 PM
link   

What you are saying doesn't really make sense. Unless there was an aggressive manipulation campaign to mess with a kids head what you are saying doesn't work. That would mean all the straight parents, who had gay kids that ended up coming out and to the parents shock, eased the kids into being gay. You have to consider both sides. People generally end up where they end up despite the parents. So you would be more likely see gay parents easing their kids into homosexuality (as you put it) only to be shocked to learn their kid was straight.

Get it?

posted on Jun, 6 2013 @ 09:35 PM
link   

Originally posted by Agit8dChop

but is that not a physical characteristic that can be traced through genetics? and scientifically proven?

Ok forgive me its 3:34am here I am slightly tired

An interesting article
A whole lot of reading.
Google

have fun.

posted on Jun, 6 2013 @ 09:41 PM
link   
Ok, honest question here. Not trying to ruffle feathers or make anyone angry. I read an article in some kind of medical journal a few years ago that claimed a discovery was made in regards to human sexuality (I could post the link, but anyone can use google to verify). The claim made, was that homosexuality was caused by an over active, or under active pituitary gland (or something to that effect).

If true, wouldn't this make homosexuality a "medical condition"? And, a step further, if it is a medical condition (some claim it is a biological condition - not a choice) and someone were to come along and say "I have a cure for your obviously gay baby" - how many parents would subject their child to this cure (if it was determined the child is, indeed, medically/biologically defined as gay)?

I do understand this would require a belief that homosexuality is not "natural" - much like blindness, deafness, paralysis, etc. etc.

What would you do if a cure for all of these was discovered?
edit on 6-6-2013 by GeisterFahrer because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 6 2013 @ 09:50 PM
link   
reply to post by GeisterFahrer

Cure implies a sickness.

We don't cure people of blackness to make the white, we accept them and love them regardless of what they were born as.

Natures diversity is what gives it the beauty, people should grow to love this diversity - not try and "cure" it so everyone can be the same.

I don't think much of parents who can't even accept their own child for who they are.

posted on Jun, 6 2013 @ 09:51 PM
link   

-Quart to four- I feel for ya, go to bed!

That article was a good read, but even the comments suggested it was amateur hour.

People here claim scientists have proven your born gay, yet no one has delivered a single paper/link proving so.

I'm not going to go trudging through hours of Google to backup your statements.

posted on Jun, 6 2013 @ 09:52 PM
link   
reply to post by polarwarrior

yes, but being black or white is a physical, genetic trait.
Being homosexual is not, in fact no one has yet even proven that you're born with it as you all so strictly say is the case.

posted on Jun, 6 2013 @ 09:54 PM
link   

Originally posted by polarwarrior
reply to post by GeisterFahrer

Cure implies a sickness.

We don't cure people of blackness to make the white, we accept them and love them regardless of what they were born as.

Natures diversity is what gives it the beauty, people should grow to love this diversity - not try and "cure" it so everyone can be the same.

I don't think much of parents who can't even accept their own child for who they are.

My wife had a cochlear implant operation when she was 4 due to deafness. What is perceived to be "flawed' by one, is an entire culture for others.

So I "get" what you are saying.

posted on Jun, 6 2013 @ 10:10 PM
link   

Originally posted by MrSpad
You can not raise a straight person gay anymore than you can raise a gay person straight.

And it is the way we were created because people have been gay through out human history. Not to mention you find it in the rest of nature as well.

I don't think it has been conclusively proven that being gay is a matter of genetics.

Experience is what makes all the connections in your brain and decides what sort of folk you are as an adult so it it is not outrageous to believe that it may a have been a combination of experiences at just the right times that made the connections necessary to chose ones own gender for sexual attraction. A mathematical oddity is the impression I would get.

The one thing that should be clear is that people have tried everything to turn thier gay children straight and none of it has worked. I have never seen nor heard of a case where someone tried to raise a straight child gay but, they would fail as well.

Trying to turn straight person, gay is almost impossible in a straight world because it is likely they would be exposed to straight influences during impressionable moments. There could be a way to ensure a child is raised straight but obviously that would take a level of social control that would make 'A Brave New World' look like 'Dazed and Confused'

If two gay parents raised a child in a predominately straight world it is unlikely that a child will become gay.
If two gay parents raise a child in a world where there is no typical family unity (man, woman, children) then im worried the 2% gay stat would gradually increase to more of a 50/50/bisexual/hodgepodge craaaaazy shiznit.

posted on Jun, 6 2013 @ 10:15 PM
link   

OP, please imagine the physical traits that you would find sexually attractive in someone, like a particular hair color or body type.

Do you think those are taught or based in the values we grow up with?

posted on Jun, 6 2013 @ 10:18 PM
link   
And experience and environment does not make you gay?

Explain prison...

posted on Jun, 6 2013 @ 10:20 PM
link   
reply to post by calstorm

I think that changes over time.

I know when I was in high school I was head over heals for red heads.

During my 20's it was ethnic middle eastern ladies with olive color skin and dark eyes

Now, i like older ladies white western types.

I know why, for me it was TV shows, maybe a friend, someone I worked with.. these things all changed my likes and dislikes over time.

?

edit on 6-6-2013 by Agit8dChop because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 6 2013 @ 10:28 PM
link   

I know why, for me it was TV shows, maybe a friend, someone I worked with.. these things all changed my likes and dislikes over time.

You sound very deep.

CJ

posted on Jun, 6 2013 @ 10:47 PM
link   
reply to post by ColoradoJens

Was that an attempt at putting me down?

Or are you going to pretend through your life you didnt see someone on TV, meet someone in school, or something like that and grow a fondness for a trait?

IE, Scully from the X-files gave me a bit of a liking for red heads.
An Indian girl I worked with once gave me a liking for dark ladies.

Isnt this how life works?

whats so 'non-deep' about that ?

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join