It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

A psychology thread: The Holy grail of psychology - Cognitive-behavioral therapy

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 6 2013 @ 06:20 PM
link   
Google it: Cognitive-behavioral therapy

This therapy is sooooo good: the problem is not life events, the problem is how we think about them, its how we judge them.

Here is a definition:

Cognitive Behavioral Therapy: Cognitive Behavioral therapy refers to a classification of psycho-therapeutic techniques that emphasize the important role that thinking (cognitive) plays in how we feel and act (behavioral). In other words, what we think of an event determines how we feel, which in turn influences how we behave. Our feelings are not dictated by the event, but are rather determined by the way we think about our situation.

For example, if someone were passed over for a promotion, that person could think that it is because her boss didn't like her. This could lead to depression and a lack of motivation to work, which would in turn decrease her chances of being promoted in the future. From the Cognitive Behavioral perspective, her depression is caused by how she interpreted the event, and not by the actual event itself. This means that if she were to change her thinking, it could lead to a better result. Instead of thinking that her boss didn't like her, she could make an honest assessment of her performance and identify specific areas for improvement. Then she would be able to work on improving her weaknesses and increase her chances of being promoted next time.

Cognitive Behavioral therapy has been shown to be most effective for anxiety, depression, panic disorder, and obsessive-compulsive disorder,

Me again:

Emotions are created by us, with our thoughts, we are to blame, life events are not the problem, we are, the way we think, what we believe, how we judge, this is what needs to be taken care.

Again, pain can be imposed, suffering is optional.

A storm is happening, if you just automatically hate it, you feel bad but.. if you find reasons to like it, if you find something good about it and you stick to it, the storm wont cause you emotional harm because your positive judgement of the experience generated good feelings. You are now calm before the storm.

You can take control of how you feel, if you find reasons to like life events!

I almost forgot that this therapy uses the exposure therapy too, it acts also on the behavior, not just the thoughts. By exposing yourself to th efeared event (even mentally) you will gradually loose the fear, what you cant do is fall into aversion and avoidance, if you fear it, you have to face it!

Just beautiful

Remember this?

Love u all.
edit on 6-6-2013 by Manula because: (no reason given)

edit on 6-6-2013 by Manula because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 6 2013 @ 06:37 PM
link   
A lot of what I learned under NLP coaching for years would fall into this bracket, though you might say 'cause of hypnotic patterns (ericksonian trance) it does not completely fall under this category... Cheers!

posted on Jun, 6 2013 @ 06:50 PM
link   
Great thread..S&F!

There's a wonderful program developed by Dr Becky Bailey that teaches children this exact same lesson. It's called Conscious Discipline and I've seen it work amazingly well. Her website is here if you're interested.

posted on Jun, 6 2013 @ 06:56 PM
link   
reply to post by smyleegrl

Are you sure that's not just the program teaching you to feel and think positively about it, affecting how you perceive the results?

posted on Jun, 6 2013 @ 06:58 PM
link   
reply to post by AfterInfinity

Nah....there's another program for that...

posted on Jun, 6 2013 @ 06:59 PM
link   

And a program for that one too. But you have to be initiated first.

posted on Jun, 6 2013 @ 07:51 PM
link   
I edited the thread guys, i forgot to mention the behavior part, the exposure therapy which i think is beautiful.

posted on Jun, 6 2013 @ 08:53 PM
link   

Originally posted by AfterInfinity

Are you sure that's not just the program teaching you to feel and think positively about it, affecting how you perceive the results?

that is what it is.

It teaches you to think properly. Rather than struggle with things we have no control over, but we instinctively struggle with, we can learn to accept and be committed to acting in a way that benefits us.

CBT is powerful, but it is also only partially correct - in that it asks you to change your thinking. Rather than change your thinking, accepting it and making room for the thoughts you have, good or bad, and just accepting them is a more maintainable goal, at least for me.

the thoughts, not the physical situations.. the thoughts are the problem.

It all depends.. if someone is happy in life, they can easily negate the concepts presented in cbt. Or they can deal with their struggles differently, but it's all about maintaining a reasonable level of struggle and not letting it become overwhelming, something we consciously switch off to and where it becomes an automatic behaviour.

A.C.T. is another method that I have found to be almost magical in how it has affected my life.

en.wikipedia.org...

ACT is developed within a pragmatic philosophy called functional contextualism. ACT is based on relational frame theory (RFT), a comprehensive theory of language and cognition that is an offshoot of behavior analysis. ACT differs from traditional cognitive behavioral therapy (CBT) in that rather than trying to teach people to better control their thoughts, feelings, sensations, memories and other private events, ACT teaches them to "just notice," accept, and embrace their private events, especially previously unwanted ones. ACT helps the individual get in contact with a transcendent sense of self known as "self-as-context"—the you that is always there observing and experiencing and yet distinct from one's thoughts, feelings, sensations, and memories. ACT aims to help the individual clarify their personal values and to take action on them, bringing more vitality and meaning to their life in the process, increasing their psychological flexibility.

I have always been someone who could never accept self-help type things, as they struck me as simply thinking about things differently, and it always led back to my automatic thinking. My struggle switch wa always turned on. I always fought against negative emotions and it is like pouring petrol on a fire. It does not work.

Now I've turned the background radio down, and allow thoughts to happen. It's just.. I dunno, it's very powerful.

And I do not know if it is simply because now in my life I am ready to change the way I think, or if it would have worked 30 years ago. I have no idea. So I can't say it's for everyone. It might be, or it might come across as nonsense.

But it pretty much saved my life.

posted on Jun, 6 2013 @ 09:04 PM
link   

Originally posted by Kokatsi
A lot of what I learned under NLP coaching for years would fall into this bracket, though you might say 'cause of hypnotic patterns (ericksonian trance) it does not completely fall under this category... Cheers!

This is interesting, I've read into NLP in the past and it always seemed exactly this.

When I first encountered CBT many years ago, I told my psychologist that it was very similar to some NLP techniques I'd read. She had no idea what NLP was. That struck me as odd, as they are similar in how they treat mental imagery and associated concepts to things we do automatically or take for granted.

It's an evolving arena to be sure, constantly being updated.

I think we have to remember however, that it's not a one size fits all, thing.

I've refrained from ever offering advice to people in regards to cbt or nlp in real life or online, because it's my personal journey that is working. And it can also be very dangerous to play with peoples minds.

posted on Jun, 7 2013 @ 04:39 AM
link   
reply to post by Manula

Cognitive behaviour therapy brings you into the here and now - because you have to catch that thought as it arises.
A thought arises and then an emotional charge goes through the body. Nothing has to be done or changed - it has already occurred (been done) so it cannot be changed. A problem only occurs when the thought or sensation (emotional charge) is rejected or resisted (not wanted). It happened and it is gone.
Just notice the space that is there prior to a thought and the space that is there after and during a thought.
The space is not disturbed by the thought - the space is peace.
Notice the quiet that all thoughts arise in.

edit on 7-6-2013 by Itisnowagain because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 7 2013 @ 06:38 AM
link   
I believe CBT can REALLY help people with chronic depression and other psychological problems and even just anger and the occasional depression. My husband and I use it all the time.
edit on 6/7/2013 by Benevolent Heretic because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 7 2013 @ 11:58 PM
link   
Cognitive behavioral therapy really is a wonderfully effective course of treatment for many mood disorders and whatnot. Dialectical behavior therapy is great as well, it's essentially cognitive behavioral therapy combined with Eastern philosophies regarding meditation and finding your center and inner peace during difficulties.

posted on Jun, 8 2013 @ 12:16 PM
link   
Excellent thread. Anyone suffering from a mild to moderately uncomfortable persistent psycho-emotional condition is urged to look into it.

I've probably done more reading / work, myself, in the closely related Dialectical Behavioral Therapy (DBT).

DBT combines standard cognitive-behavioral techniques for emotion regulation and reality-testing with concepts of distress tolerance, acceptance, and mindful awareness largely derived from Buddhist meditative practice. DBT may be the first therapy that has been experimentally demonstrated to be generally effective in treating BPD.[3][4] A meta-analysis found that DBT reached moderate effects.[5] Research indicates that DBT is also effective in treating patients who present varied symptoms and behaviors associated with spectrum mood disorders, including self-injury.[6] Recent work suggests its effectiveness with sexual abuse survivors[7] and chemical dependency.

DBT Wiki Entry

As mentioned above, it actually uses a lot of concepts from CBT. Check out the wiki, if you're interested. It does contain a decent overview of some of the techniques....

posted on Jun, 8 2013 @ 05:24 PM
link   
reply to post by Manula

This is an amazing thread! This is something I've been working on privately now for months and didn't even recognize what I was doing:
Cognitive Behavioral Therapy

Now I'm off to do more research

Thanks so much for this, I really appreciate it!

S&F

posted on Jun, 8 2013 @ 07:11 PM
link   
I'm glad that so many of you are finding some healing in CBT. But, I don't know that I would call it the Holy Grail. Even if 99% of the patients (or practitioners) find relief by utilizing its techniques, what happens to that one person who not only receives no relief, but experiences damage from its application. There are potential downsides.

For the most part, I consider CBT to be less therapy and more re-programming. So, I'd call it Cognitive Behavioral Re-Programming (CBRP.) It teaches you to right-think, rather than wrong-think; and to be a good little human. Fit in, and feel good.

Some of those extremely painful emotions and seemingly unwarranted emotional reactions may be there for a purpose. One thing to consider is that while a subject is in the process of "thinking about thinking," his otherwise spontaneous, and possibly bizarre reaction may be the correct one for him. Yet, the spontaneity is lost. And the reaction that is selected, based on the application of the new meta-thinking rule-set, may be so contrary to his personality that it does more harm than good.

With respect to the "exposure therapy," what happens when you find out that there was plenty to fear from the fearful situation. Now you have even more reason to fear it. Don't be goaded into testing your newly-installed meta-thinking rule-set until you are certain that you can handle the consequences of their failure to induce the correct behavior for you.

One must also be careful of whom one selects as a "teacher." Your teacher should be able to judge how your individuality will respond to their teaching, and adjust the curriculum accordingly. Beware of those teachers who believe that they must start from scratch with their re-programming; their lesson-plan may be very poisonous to your uniqueness. The mind is a very delicate instrument. One size does not fit all. And an unsuccessful attempt at complete re-programming of your cognitive axioms may leave you worse-off than you were before.

In summary I want to say that there are potentially great benefits in the application of some, or all, of the techniques of CBT. But you must integrate those new techniques into your cognitive processes in your own way, at your own pace. It is possible that some of your pre-existing "wrong-think" is so basely ingrained in your cognitive processing system that any attempt to replace those core directives with "right-think" can cause the entire system to crash. And it's not as simple as CTRL+ALT+DELETE to reboot it. As Bruce Lee put it: "Adapt what is useful, reject what is useless, and add what is specifically your own."

Dex

posted on Jun, 8 2013 @ 07:22 PM
link   

It teaches you to think properly. Rather than struggle with things we have no control over, but we instinctively struggle with, we can learn to accept and be committed to acting in a way that benefits us.

CBT is powerful, but it is also only partially correct - in that it asks you to change your thinking. Rather than change your thinking, accepting it and making room for the thoughts you have, good or bad, and just accepting them is a more maintainable goal, at least for me.

It's magical thinking for the 21st century.

I always took it as a Stockholm syndrome when one couldn't escape the psychology industry. If you can't escape it, fall in love with it, choose the manipulation for your maximum benefit. To an outsider it's still brainwashing, in a formula. In the end it's believing in words having power, or seeing what you want to see. That's life.

Glad you found a way to cope with whatever ailed you.
edit on 8-6-2013 by Sandalphon because: Quote mess

posted on Jun, 8 2013 @ 08:29 PM
link   

Originally posted by DexterRiley
I'm glad that so many of you are finding some healing in CBT. But, I don't know that I would call it the Holy Grail. Even if 99% of the patients (or practitioners) find relief by utilizing its techniques, what happens to that one person who not only receives no relief, but experiences damage from its application. There are potential downsides.

For the most part, I consider CBT to be less therapy and more re-programming. So, I'd call it Cognitive Behavioral Re-Programming (CBRP.) It teaches you to right-think, rather than wrong-think; and to be a good little human. Fit in, and feel good.

Some of those extremely painful emotions and seemingly unwarranted emotional reactions may be there for a purpose. One thing to consider is that while a subject is in the process of "thinking about thinking," his otherwise spontaneous, and possibly bizarre reaction may be the correct one for him. Yet, the spontaneity is lost. And the reaction that is selected, based on the application of the new meta-thinking rule-set, may be so contrary to his personality that it does more harm than good.

With respect to the "exposure therapy," what happens when you find out that there was plenty to fear from the fearful situation. Now you have even more reason to fear it. Don't be goaded into testing your newly-installed meta-thinking rule-set until you are certain that you can handle the consequences of their failure to induce the correct behavior for you.

One must also be careful of whom one selects as a "teacher." Your teacher should be able to judge how your individuality will respond to their teaching, and adjust the curriculum accordingly. Beware of those teachers who believe that they must start from scratch with their re-programming; their lesson-plan may be very poisonous to your uniqueness. The mind is a very delicate instrument. One size does not fit all. And an unsuccessful attempt at complete re-programming of your cognitive axioms may leave you worse-off than you were before.

In summary I want to say that there are potentially great benefits in the application of some, or all, of the techniques of CBT. But you must integrate those new techniques into your cognitive processes in your own way, at your own pace. It is possible that some of your pre-existing "wrong-think" is so basely ingrained in your cognitive processing system that any attempt to replace those core directives with "right-think" can cause the entire system to crash. And it's not as simple as CTRL+ALT+DELETE to reboot it. As Bruce Lee put it: "Adapt what is useful, reject what is useless, and add what is specifically your own."

Dex

I read what you said and i have to agree. We have to be aware of our thoughts and of their power to rule us emotionally. But we can always choose to think whats right for us as long as it feels true and honest for our unique self. I completely agree, whatever we want to think of life events, we have to be true to ourselves.
We have to be what we really are, or what we want to become, and love ourselves, always, no matter what happens.

We decide which thoughts are right for us, but we still have to be aware of them and see if they are really true to us or if we have been lying to ourselves with statements like: I am worthless, or life is agony and pain, or any other dis-empowering thoughts that aren't really true to anyone...

Thanks for your thoughts!
edit on 8-6-2013 by Manula because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 8 2013 @ 08:32 PM
link   

Originally posted by Sandalphon

I always took it as a Stockholm syndrome when one couldn't escape the psychology industry. If you can't escape it, fall in love with it, choose the manipulation for your maximum benefit. To an outsider it's still brainwashing, in a formula. In the end it's believing in words having power, or seeing what you want to see. That's life.

DING DING DING WE HAVE A WINNER!!! Stockholm Syndrome is EXACTLY what this "therapy" is which is WHY BDSM manuals USE it to Train Trafficked Sex Slaves, FACT. Of course it doesn't Work, unless Drugs are combined with to Dull the Physical pain from torture etc (or being raped as Children by full grown pig men) and thereby causing Severe DID (Dissasociative Identity Disorder), Detatchment Disorders and Complex PTSD,

Also psyches working to Keep children shut up about abuse Use it, as well as CULTS use it as well, the OCCULT, years of forced visual thinking while IGNORING REAL WARNINGS causes ALTARS,

Yea Pedowanks LOVE this type of "cogniticpve therapy" as well do other Sadists and Mind Binder Exploiters. It works Great...

For a while, the Problem is that it requires constant reinforcement, hence the drug therapies to DULL the Senses, one being Pain and Anger which is our Brain and Body's way of saying, "Yoo Hoo Something Wrong here, maybe you should Check your Radar or REMOVE yourself from a TOXIC situation..."

So Rather than hold criminals, ABUSERS, toxic people Accountable, changing Real Negative destructive situations, oh no

Let's just Brainwash people into Loving their BONDAGE.

Don't need a behavior manual to figure This out...PIMPS use these methods ALL the time, as do many a serial killer and slave master.

posted on Jun, 8 2013 @ 08:41 PM
link   

Originally posted by ThreeBears

Originally posted by Sandalphon

DING DING DING WE HAVE A WINNER!!! Stockholm Syndrome is EXACTLY what this "therapy" is which is WHY BDSM manuals USE it to Train Trafficked Sex Slaves, FACT. Of course it doesn't Work, unless Drugs are combined with to Dull the Physical pain from torture etc (or being raped as Children by full grown pig men) and thereby causing Severe DID (Dissasociative Identity Disorder), Detatchment Disorders and Complex PTSD,

Also psyches working to Keep children shut up about abuse Use it, as well as CULTS use it as well, the OCCULT, years of forced visual thinking while IGNORING REAL WARNINGS causes ALTARS,

Yea Pedowanks LOVE this type of "cogniticpve therapy" as well do other Sadists and Mind Binder Exploiters. It works Great...

For a while, the Problem is that it requires constant reinforcement, hence the drug therapies to DULL the Senses, one being Pain and Anger which is our Brain and Body's way of saying, "Yoo Hoo Something Wrong here, maybe you should Check your Radar or REMOVE yourself from a TOXIC situation..."

So Rather than hold criminals, ABUSERS, toxic people Accountable, changing Real Negative destructive situations, oh no

Let's just Brainwash people into Loving their BONDAGE.

Don't need a behavior manual to figure This out...PIMPS use these methods ALL the time, as do many a serial killer and slave master.

Your post is just nonsense. Telling people to be aware of their inner beliefs and thoughts about life events and just change what isn't true to yourself is what? Believing bondage is good?

If you want to believe bondage is good go ahead... But if you are in bondage and while you don't manage to escape it, why not try to ease the pain with some positive thoughts. Every life event has a good side, even bondage, we cant learn about freedom if we don't know about bondage. We always learn with bad situations, they teach us what its like, so that we never do that to people... There is always some good in adversity. Find it while you are going through it, it will help you cope with it. Is it wrong to do this? Not to me...

I always try to find the hidden goodness behind adversity, because it is always there...

posted on Jun, 8 2013 @ 10:11 PM
link   
reply to post by ThreeBears

Stockholm Syndrome is EXACTLY what this "therapy" is which is WHY BDSM manuals USE it to Train Trafficked Sex Slaves, FACT.

That's an interesting statement. Given the subject matter of this thread, which is CBT, and your example of BDSM leads to a rather bizarre double entendre.

But, I digress. I apologize to the OP for the distraction, but I couldn't resist

Dex

top topics

<<   2 >>

join