U.S. Intelligence Mining Data from Nine U.S. Internet Companies in Broad Secret Program

page: 1

join

posted on Jun, 6 2013 @ 05:29 PM
link   

The National Security Agency and the FBI are tapping directly into the central servers of nine leading U.S. Internet companies, extracting audio, video, photographs, e-mails, documents and connection logs that enable analysts to track a person’s movements and contacts over time.

The highly classified program, code-named PRISM, has not been disclosed publicly before. Its establishment in 2007 and six years of exponential growth took place beneath the surface of a roiling debate over the boundaries of surveillance and privacy. Even late last year, when critics of the foreign intelligence statute argued for changes, the only members of Congress who know about PRISM were bound by oaths of office to hold their tongues.

Story

Well it looks like it is not just cellphones now we know they are gathering data from internet providers. Nothing is safe anymore. Where is all this headed. It is frightening to think what the future plans are for all of this private data on law abiding US citizens.
edit on 6-6-2013 by GrantedBail because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 6 2013 @ 05:40 PM
link   
reply to post by GrantedBail

edit on 6-6-2013 by GrantedBail because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 6 2013 @ 05:47 PM
link   
I just assumed they listen and copy everything.

This has gone on for many years I suspect.

Our "Rights" we used to jealously guard...They are long gone.
edit on 6-6-2013 by whyamIhere because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 6 2013 @ 06:11 PM
link   

I Youtube so much, and on subjects that I don't even discuss publicly, that I'm probably screwed. Oh well I'm sure tere are others on ATS in the same boat so I won't be lonely at the re education center.

An IDEA .....About 10 ten years ago someone emailed around a long list of keywords (about 1000 words) that the g-men electronically surveils . The list was designed to cause a #%!!! at the agencies. Since then , millions more people have woken up worldwide (feeling angry/betrayed) , well can you imagine how much more successful it would be? SPAM it MAN

Start off with the commercial betrayers like Facebook sucks, Buy , Sell , etc. Rabbit trail SEO submissions.
All this would have to be done on the same day by millions worldwide to make it work. Also use election campaign style robo calls with keywords. Immediatley after this, light up email, twitter, FB, textmsg , embedded pics with GPG encryption. Zuckerberg wouldnt know what to do with 30million encrypyted post.
DON'T TAKE ME TOO SERIOUSLY ON THIS. Have a nice day everyone.

posted on Jun, 6 2013 @ 06:33 PM
link   

Even with all this information that you may all have. What are you going to do about this?

Oh, that's right. Absolutely nothing. Because you fear, your governments and what the repercussions just might be.

You all will do nothing except be told what to do and when, from the powers that be and control every single move you make from when you wake up and lay down and sleep.

This is your new world. Acknowledge it! Or, do something about it.

STOP TALKING ABOUT! IT DOES ABSOLUTELY NOTHING...

posted on Jun, 6 2013 @ 06:51 PM
link   
Wow... I'm awfully glad now that I listened to that little inner voice on some things in times past and used nothing but encrypted and tunneled communications methods when it mattered to have a little privacy. I had more than one person get downright nasty about the comments regarding paranoia and clinical illness levels of it, too! Now I see Google on the list and know, without question, I did the right thing by listening to that little voice when I did.

Oh...I'm not big fish or even a special guy in anything I've done...but in things like Occupy, for instance, I was helping folks in different areas of the country and wouldn't do it without that level of privacy layered into things. I stopped caring about myself on this stuff a long time ago. It's not fatalist as much as it's knowing I break no actual laws and if that no longer matters to keep me free and in pursuit of happiness? Nothing else matters anyway....but some of that could certainly have had ramifications for others who aren't quite so accepting of life's little annoyances that come with being real outspoken on things.

Remember the good old days....wayyyyyyyy back in ancient times? You know..about 13-14 years ago. When targeting citizens domestically and operating directly against Americans right at home was a cardinal sin for Intelligence agencies? Oh..those were the days, weren't they? ...and to think, people really felt THOSE days were bad. Oh...how silly and naive we all were then.

posted on Jun, 6 2013 @ 07:07 PM
link   
lol

Apple:online.wsj.com...

Facebook:www.forbes.com... &utm_source=twitter&utm_medium=social

Microsoft:www.theverge.com...

Yahoo:www.reuters.com...

Here the reaction 4 of them
edit on 6-6-2013 by Dolby_X because: added more

posted on Jun, 6 2013 @ 11:46 PM
link   
reply to post by Dolby_X

Now, shoot... Why wouldn't I believe their denials? Oh... Perhaps because it's been heard before?

The National Security Agency has been secretly collecting the phone call records of tens of millions of Americans, using data provided by AT&T, Verizon and BellSouth, people with direct knowledge of the arrangement told USA TODAY.

The NSA program reaches into homes and businesses across the nation by amassing information about the calls of ordinary Americans — most of whom aren't suspected of any crime. This program does not involve the NSA listening to or recording conversations. But the spy agency is using the data to analyze calling patterns in an effort to detect terrorist activity, sources said in separate interviews.
Source

Verizon Communications, the country's second largest telephone company, said today that it had not provided local phone records to the National Security Agency as part of the agency's efforts to amass a database of call data to thwart terrorists.

The announcement, a day after BellSouth issued a similar statement, came in response to a report in USA Today last Thursday that the three biggest Bell companies had handed over their customer calling records — including data on local calls — to the security agency without warrants.
Source

Both of those came in May of 2006 and there were others before that. I might have bought it the first time they got caught selling us out. I don't buy it the second time. Where there's smoke this time? I'm thinking special counsel is needed to ask some real HARD questions without political limitations placed on the inquiry.

Something stinks like a sewer here.

posted on Jun, 7 2013 @ 08:14 AM
link   
Why is everyone surprised?
I used to work for a telecom company years ago and knew back then that things were monitored way back since the 50's/60's by all major phone companies. Ofcourse the term that was used is 'Data Backup'.

posted on Jun, 7 2013 @ 02:11 PM
link   

First rule of Prism club; don't talk about Prism club, or you'll be arrested.

new topics
top topics

join