It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

U.S. intelligence mining data from nine U.S. Internet companies in broad secret program

page: 7
<< 4  5  6    8  9  10 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 7 2013 @ 08:41 AM
link   

Originally posted by Phantom28804
I would just like to take a moment to point out that I have seen a lot of people blaming Obama, and I have seen people talking about how the Republicans are outraged. Maybe not on here, but in the news. I thought that this would be a good place to point out just how many people in our government voted for this.

who voted for spying on Americans

I don't know how to attach a graph like they have but it's quite amazing to see how many people currently sitting voted for this crap.

Yes, but lets not pretend that Obama is STILL just "dealing" with the "mess" left behind.
He was well aware of this, just as he was well aware of a lot of the other BS things that have happened - or not happened - under his watch.

There comes a time when you need to stop blaming the previous government for the things he has done, or not done. He has extended the surveillance of Americans, extended the influence of military power outside of the US, using illegal methods to assassinate "suspects"...

I was no fan of Bush, I am a liberal and would vote Democrat if I were American, but this is BS, he's a hypocrite, as are many in your government.

Party is irrelevant as far as I am concerned. Don't let their partisan performance fool you - they are all in this up to their necks and they will do anything to distract you from that.

Originally posted by Phantom28804
Also I wanted to add that you can't blame companies like Google, Apple, Facebook etc. They are just doing what they have to to comply with government orders. I am more then sure that the owners of ATS would do the same if so ordered, and probably already have.
edit on 6/7/2013 by Phantom28804 because: (no reason given)

Ah, but you forget the part where those companies also came out on record as saying they have NEVER allowed government access to their systems. They are adamant that they receive court orders about specific individuals and information, and they then check the legality of that before handing it over. But the leaked information seems to suggest that the NSA/CIA/FBI have access to those companies systems.

This means that either the leaked Powerpoint Presentation is fake, or the Federal Government has deliberately hacked the computer systems of private corporations in order to gather data on, and spy on, their own free citizens.

posted on Jun, 7 2013 @ 08:43 AM
link   
Where were all of these so called patriots when these protocols were put into place? I wish the wing nuts could step back and see their hypocrisy. As I remember the patriot act passed with only one dissenting vote in the senate. Lets see what was the wing nut mantra back then, hmmm. Your either with us or against us. If you aren't guilty of anything why are you worried?

Funny how things never change on the wing nut front. Maybe the outrage group were still in diapers when this framework was put into place?

Any way I remember it clearly.

The last vote saw only 6 republicans in the senate vote no and 13 in the house. But go on and blame the democrat. Don't blame yourselves for voting for those who brought this upon us. After all, they are good god fearing patriots who only have your best interest at heart right?

posted on Jun, 7 2013 @ 08:45 AM
link   

Originally posted by Rocker2013
This means that either the leaked Powerpoint Presentation is fake, or the Federal Government has deliberately hacked the computer systems of private corporations in order to gather data on, and spy on, their own free citizens.

The only problem is that the government admitted they were spying

www.nytimes.com... global-home&_r=0

By the way.. I was shocked that they even admitt they were spying on other countries.
I noticed a increase of condemnation (Sorry.. i'm dutch.. i'm hope its the word i mean
) towards the USA from my people here in the NL and it will increase even more.
Numerous sites here are filled with posts from shocked and angry people. Even the msm

But i'm allmost sure that our government does not denouce this issue at all.

edit on 7-6-2013 by hoover1980 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 7 2013 @ 08:52 AM
link   

Originally posted by tnhiker
As outraged as people may be, nothing will change. People will forget about it as soon as Kardashian pops out her baby, or Miley gets pregnant or whatever celeb crap the MSM forces down our throat.

I don't think so. I've read that this is the front page of every newspaper in the United States. It affects all Americans and American businesses (as well as foreign countries). No, I don't believe this will go away in a hurry but I'm not sure how it will ultimately be resolved either. What I'm wondering is what juicy piece of US Government skullduggery will be brought to light next. Wed: Verizon, Thurs: Internet, Fri: ??

Obama is supposed to be addressing all of this today sometime. Even though it's closing on midnight here in Oz, it's probably worth waiting up for.

I should also report that even though this issue is huge in its implications and despite the fact it does involve other countries, including my own, that have been caught up in it, the newspapers here in Oz are completely ignoring it. It's as if it never happened. How odd. Hopefully that will change in the next few hours.

The Guardian journalist who broke these stories - Glenn Greenwald (@GGreenwald) - is a brave man. Respect.

ETA: Friday's skullduggery is just breaking now: UK also gathering secret intelligence on citizens - www.guardian.co.uk...

edit on 7-6-2013 by Archie because: .

posted on Jun, 7 2013 @ 09:06 AM
link   

Originally posted by marg6043
The question is does the government have the capability of gathering this amount of data? well is greater than we believe.

What is collected?

Every day, collection systems at the National Security Agency intercept and store 1.7 billion e-mails, phone calls and other types of communications. The NSA sorts a fraction of those into 70 separate databases.

How many transactions?

In fact, I would suggest that they’ve assembled on the order of 20 trillion transactions about U.S. citizens with other U.S. citizens

Where is the storage facility to gather this mammoth information?

The NSA says the Utah Data Center is a facility for the intelligence community that will have a major focus on cyber security. The agency will neither confirm nor deny specifics. Some published reports suggest it could hold 5 zettabytes of data. (Just one zettabyte is the equivalent of about 62 billion stacked iPhones 5′s– that stretches past the moon

Is this just fictional or just part of shows like person of interest?

NO, no at all, be afraid people very afraid, the technology is there and is been in use to spy on you.

“You are being watched. The government has a secret system – a machine – that spies on you every hour of every day.” That is how each episode of “Person of Interest” on CBS begins. Most Americans that have watched the show just assume that such a surveillance network is completely fictional and that the government would never watch us like that. Sadly, most Americans are wrong. Shocking new details have emerged this week which prove that a creepy nationwide network of spy cameras is being rolled out across the United States. Reportedly, these new spy cameras are “more accurate than modern facial recognition technology”, and every few seconds they send back data from cities and major landmarks all over the United States to a centralized processing center where it is analyzed

Sorry to burst the bubble of ignorance when it comes to how much power the tyrannic government we have can exercise over us the citizens of this nation.

The government has become and elite entity in which we the citizens are nothing but a treat to their power.

www.thedailysheeple.com...

Unfortunately, you’ve grown up hearing voices that incessantly warn of government as nothing more than some separate, sinister entity that’s at the root of all our problems. Some of these same voices also do their best to gum up the works. They’ll warn that tyranny always lurking just around the corner. You should reject these voices

At your own perils people. . . .

And yet, they never had a clue about Newtown, Boston, Aurora, all the gang violence, organized crime, and individual murders that have happened since this domestic spying has been going on.

That alone speaks volumes about who they're really trying to protect, and who they really want to go after.

posted on Jun, 7 2013 @ 09:08 AM
link   
Presumably called "PRISM" to be a ''multi-faceted'' approach to ''focus light'' or attention (surveillance) on any individual or group.

posted on Jun, 7 2013 @ 10:21 AM
link   

posted on Jun, 7 2013 @ 10:32 AM
link   
I think what scares me the most about these scandals inst that they are happening --or not.

I mean, whatever, right?

What frightens me most is that the design and power point skills of the people who are the brains behind our intelligence apparatus are so unbelievably crappy and amateurish. It's like, really? --a trillion dollar black hole and you can't afford to hire someone with a basic grasp of rudimentary color theory?

I kid. Mostly.

Here's Clapper in March, denying before Congress (haha) that the NSA collects Data at this scale "intentionally."

Read elsewhere, and quoted for truth:

Of course this information is useful, Mr. Clapper. That is why we have a "Bill of Rights" to protect it.

posted on Jun, 7 2013 @ 10:33 AM
link   
Now that they have admitted it, what do we do about it? What can we do about it? Is it too late?

Will people finally start waking up to the crimes that our government is committing on a daily basis? Will people finally start marching on Washington and demand these programs be stopped?

Probably not. People stopped making a stink about removing their shoes at the airport. People stopped making a stink about standing in body scanners. People stopped making a stink only a few years after the Patriot Act. People will stop making a stink about this in a few weeks, when the next celebrity ends up in jail on a coke possession charge, or getting in a DUI wreck.

Nothing new. Move along and collect your government issued phone and jumpsuit on the way out the door.

-TS

posted on Jun, 7 2013 @ 10:40 AM
link   

Originally posted by GrantedBail
reply to post by JacKatMtn

If the stories were allowed to run you can guarantee that tptb want you to know. It is probably just an in your face "we do what we want, what are you gonna do about it". You had senators commenting today about how it is keeping everyone safe.

I mean the article is really bad. Geez, I hope it is not a limited hangout; what could be much worse?

im guessing they know a tipping point is coming and want to get it out in the open so they can use the very thing they are releasing info on to seperate the groups. the sheep that continue to not care, and the ones that do.

so when the SHTF boom we already know who to target and who to leave alone.

starting updating your facebook statuses guys to say how much you love that this is helping your country stay protected!

posted on Jun, 7 2013 @ 10:42 AM
link   
I've been out of the current news loop this week, but seeing the headlines on this govt spying stuff this morning, all I can think is, " Why is this suddenly news and why is the MSM suddenly reporting on it?"

We here have all but taken for granted that everything we say on our technologies is being recorded. So why is this NOW suddenly the story orf the week?

What is the motivation guys? Are we to believe that no journalists or citizens were aware until this week that we are all being tracked?

I find it absolutely ludicrous that this is being reproted as some breaking news! I come to the conclusion that the controlled demolition of our belief in our govt system is now in full swing. I predict this slaughter of the current presidency is scripted in the same way it was built.
By year's end, the govt strife will be at the precipice, along with our financial system, then, crash!

Every man for himself, but the DHS will get it back in control eventually(that will be scary).

posted on Jun, 7 2013 @ 10:54 AM
link   

Originally posted by SunnyDee
I've been out of the current news loop this week, but seeing the headlines on this govt spying stuff this morning, all I can think is, " Why is this suddenly news and why is the MSM suddenly reporting on it?"

We here have all but taken for granted that everything we say on our technologies is being recorded. So why is this NOW suddenly the story orf the week?

Quite simply, EVIDENCE.

This might come as a shock to a lot of people here, but believing in something does not make it true. However much you might be suspicious, and however much we might all have known through logical thought and our suspicious mentalities that this was happening, no one has actually been able to provide actual PROOF until now.

Journalism is based on a story, and there needs to be some kind of evidence to base that story on. Did you expect the Guardian to roll with this story three years ago and cite "Conspiracy forums" as "evidence"?

This is a constant problem we have on ATS, and I really wish the mods would do something about it - suspicion, rumour, gossip, blog posts, YouTube videos, these things are not evidence. People here are always giving other peoples opinions as though they are proof of something when they are not.

Just because Alex Jones says the same thing does not make it true. Just because some blogger wrote it does not mean there's evidence. Just because someone agrees with you does not make it fact.

posted on Jun, 7 2013 @ 11:00 AM
link   

off-topic post removed to prevent thread-drift

posted on Jun, 7 2013 @ 12:01 PM
link   
I first learned of these sorts of data mining efforts after 9-11. It rapidly became clear that there had been all manner of private, federal, and mixed data mining systems constituted, tested, deployed, and then curtailed over time. In the years that followed it became apparent that every time one such system was either shut down by congressional oversight or by individual states opting out, another would rise in its place.

This is an ongoing agenda that transcends all political ideologies and parties in this country in my opinion. Someone wants very badly to develop this capability at all costs and to use it. That it can be used without any real transparency to the public creates enormous potential for abuse and violations of the fourth amendment, I fear.

Does anyone know whether this particular implementation has to go through the FISA court? Or what forms of oversight there may or may not be (if any)?

Peace.

posted on Jun, 7 2013 @ 12:07 PM
link   
No surprise here. Or what did people think was the purpose of Internet?

Naive to believe that privacy still exists. The Internet is any intelligence agencies biggest dream come true.

posted on Jun, 7 2013 @ 12:11 PM
link   
reply to post by AceWombat04

The reason it is so hard to fight is because we are set up to face straw-men at every turn. PRISM (and other systems like it) isn't for fighting terror. We're that the case, it would have stopped the Boston bombers, after all, Russia warned us directly that at least one of the brothers was a threat months before the bombing.

The purpose of these surveillance systems is insider trading and corporate espionage.

Terrorism is just a magic word. Through it -- everything is possible, and compulsory.

posted on Jun, 7 2013 @ 01:13 PM
link   
This has been going on for many many years and should not come as such a surprise. This is the reason NSA has the Super Computer in Maryland. And yes, they do monitor us here in the US. Last time I checked, I'm not involved in any terrorist activities so I don't have anything to worry about. The thought I need to give up a certain amount of privacy, and assume that Big Brother is listening, is part of living here I guess. I'd rather have that than live in Mumbai I guess (no,... for sure).

posted on Jun, 7 2013 @ 01:16 PM
link   

Originally posted by CaticusMaximus

Originally posted by IAMTAT

I have to agree with the New York Times...The Obama Administration HAS now lost all credibility!

Its sad though... even though hes lost all imaginary credibility he once had, youll still have the diehard worshipers who will never acknowledge that Bama ever did anything wrong, and that you are just either a republican or a racist or both if you think hes not the second coming of Christ. Even on this board, where people are supposed to deny ignorance or something.

Oh well. Momentum seems to be building against the rogue government regime in power ATM. Hopefully it gets enough momentum to actually get somewhere, like an impeachment of the entire administration and charges of treason brought to them.

It's not that we are diehard worshippers who think he never did wrong...it's just that....It's hard to take the opposition serious when they refuse to aknowledge that this program was started by Bush (or rather, Bush's team) and continued under Obama.
Do I like it? F no...but that doesn't mean Obama started it.

posted on Jun, 7 2013 @ 01:19 PM
link   

U.S. intelligence mining data from nine U.S. Internet companies in broad secret program

Well now, all the ridicule that was being aimed at those who questioned whether things like this were actually happening... makes the term 'conspiracy theorist' shine like a full moon on a dark night.

The freedom to speak is now overshadowed by the real possibility that those who dare to speak and say the 'wrong' things, could someday face persecution. In fact, sites like ATS would have large targets painted on them as would their memberships.

It's troubling to say the least... and a scratch frightening to be absolutely honest. I mean, will this thread end up on an NSA scrutiny screen? Is this the America our forefathers fought and died for?

posted on Jun, 7 2013 @ 01:22 PM
link   
how are civil rights and liberties improved? this is an interesting article and journaling; given the time context.im sure some rich spy intel was gained, which is a nations right to intel, but were common laws and bylaws violated to violate civil rights and liberties?

new topics

top topics

<< 4  5  6    8  9  10 >>

join