It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Simple Maths Problem..

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 6 2013 @ 04:44 PM
link   
Someone posted this to me today and I was wondering if anyone could give me a simple answer and explanation as to what is wrong with the maths logic here... Here it is...

Three men went to a hotel to rent a room, the cost of the room was $30. Each man paid $10 to the bellboy and proceeded to their room. After a little while the bellboy realized that there was a special on rooms that night and the price for the men's room should have been $25. On his way to the men's room to give them back $5, he was puzzled how he was going to split $5 as he had no change. He decided he would give them each $1 and keep the remaining $2 for himself. So each man originally paid $10, but after the bellboy gave each man $1 back, each man paid $9.

9 x 3 = $27 plus the $2 the bellboy put in his pocket equals $29. The original price for the room was $30. Where did the last dollar go?

posted on Jun, 6 2013 @ 04:49 PM
link   
reply to post by purplemer

are you in the middle of your final and asking us this? dont let the teacher catch you on ATS

posted on Jun, 6 2013 @ 04:50 PM
link   
reply to post by Tlexlapoca

Heck no im not.. someone posted it to me for fun and I cannot figure it...

posted on Jun, 6 2013 @ 04:56 PM
link   

The lady from Housekeeping took it. Also discovered missing was a cell phone charger, a Kodak Easy Share camera, one black sock and a can of Axe body spray!

posted on Jun, 6 2013 @ 04:57 PM
link   

I suck at math. But shouldn't it be +30 dollars being paid in towards the room, then -3 for the refund (a dollar each to the three men) and another subtraction of 2 (-2) for the tip?

= 25 dollars for the room?

Very interesting word problem and I hope I didn't just make a jackass of myself trying to figure it out.

edit on 6-6-2013 by NarcolepticBuddha because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 6 2013 @ 04:59 PM
link   
There is no missing dollar the bellboy pocketed 2 bucks out of the 5 he was suppose to return to the men, instead giving them 3 bucks one dollar each, out of the 5. there original 25 sits in the register, 25+5=30, there is no missing dollar.
edit on 6-6-2013 by Lysergic because: there is no spoon

posted on Jun, 6 2013 @ 05:01 PM
link   
imo, distraction, it is $25+$3+$2, voila $30

posted on Jun, 6 2013 @ 05:07 PM
link   
subtract from 30, not add to 25. The starting point and the ending point are switched the way the question is worded.

9 x 3 = 27

THEN

27 - 2 = 25
edit on 6-6-2013 by Anthem0 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 6 2013 @ 05:10 PM
link   
Yeah it's a trick question.
Ignore the superfluous text.

25+3+2=30

posted on Jun, 6 2013 @ 06:20 PM
link   
The bellboy is one of the men who rented the room.

Or it's a glitch in the Matrix.

posted on Jun, 6 2013 @ 06:30 PM
link   

Originally posted by Magister
glitch in the Matrix.

I knew it!
edit on 6-6-2013 by NarcolepticBuddha because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 7 2013 @ 01:05 AM
link   
You shouldn't try to add the $2 the bellboy has to get to 30, you subtract it to get to $25.

The men should have paid $25 for the room, but instead they paid $27. The remaining $2 dollars needs to be subtracted from that $27 to get back to the $25.

new topics

top topics

join