It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Police Officer Shoots My Dog, $1800 Fine

page: 4
<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 6 2013 @ 08:47 PM
link   
reply to post by Dianec

Pitbulls jaws do not "lock", that's a silly wife's tale.

posted on Jun, 6 2013 @ 08:49 PM
link   
reply to post by GAOTU789

I bet youve had a dog run away on you before, even if it was just getting out of your hands while bringing him back in the house or something related.

Unless of course your perfect and dont make mistakes.

posted on Jun, 6 2013 @ 08:49 PM
link   

Originally posted by onequestion
reply to post by NOTurTypical

Oh i understand the difference. We have a crate but the dog was just let outside for a few minutes to go to the bathroom. I wasnt even home. It was another family member letting the dog out for 10 minutes in the morning before the day starts.

If you get another one you need a 6 foot privacy fence. ( Some younger male pits can clear one of those though), and never use a collar, with a pit you must harness.

posted on Jun, 6 2013 @ 08:51 PM
link   

Yeah, im extremely disappointed at how this turned out because i love that dog. Although i do not own the house so i wont be modifying it. I do however plan on moving into another house in where i will be taking dog ownership into account.

posted on Jun, 6 2013 @ 08:52 PM
link   
reply to post by hellobruce

You are rude .As the OP states,you weren't there and do not know what happened. I've seen far too many dogs killed by nutjob cops in the last few years ,so yes,I would go to the press if it was my animal.
Just because its a pitbull,in no way automatically means the dog was at fault .

Officers have been brought up on charges for these offenses in some states ,and some owners of other breeds, have dogs that are the bullies and instigate it all ,Chihuahuas included .
Want me to post a bunch . They're easy enough to find.

posted on Jun, 6 2013 @ 08:53 PM
link   
[mor

I was hiking with a friend of mine who had his pit harnessed with him, during the hike we were talking about the harness and he was telling me how they used to use a collar but she was able to escape. This was a few days ago.
edit on 6-6-2013 by onequestion because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 6 2013 @ 08:54 PM
link   
reply to post by onequestion

I've had cats get out despite every precaution ,and I don't even see them slip by me .
One dog ran out one night when I was a child,and he was run over and killed instantly ,right ifo the house.
I was heart broken .
My mom was taking out the trash,and he just ran by her .
We don't leash Boston terriers in the home it seems .

posted on Jun, 6 2013 @ 08:54 PM
link   

You guys are ridiculous coming claiming irresponsibility.

No, you are ridiculous for denying it.

Im sure its easy to claim from your computers.

It's easy to claim when you have personal experience, as I do.

I used to live in a semi rural area on a half acre block surrounded by wire fencing. My dog was small enough to get through the fence so I kept her on a long flying fox for most of the day, and supervised her whenever she was off it.

Dogs get away it happens to everyone once in a while.

No, it doesn't. It never happens to people with secure yards and/or properly restrained dogs.

Sometimes you cant be watching your dog 100% of the time and no we dont leave the dog on end for hours at a time. In fact when hes ready to get off his leash he barks a few times and we bring him in. Its cool though keep blabbering on about how evil i am or irresponsible

I repeat: a decent collar and a flying fox could have prevented this. It's not rocket science. You were irresponsible.

posted on Jun, 6 2013 @ 08:56 PM
link   
reply to post by Sankari

Oh get off your high horse. Everyone i know whos been a long time dog owner has had their dog or cat get out once in a while. It doesnt mean the dog is miserable it means the dog is being a dog. Get over yourself.

posted on Jun, 6 2013 @ 08:56 PM
link   
reply to post by onequestion

Sure I have and had it killed another dog and tried to attack a cop, I would have been responsible for it. What does that have to do with you and whomever let this dog out being irresponsible owners? You have said yourself this isn't the first time it has happened.

This isn't the first time hes gotten loose. He usually just runs around the neighborhood untill one of our neighbors brings him back.

When it happened with my German Sheppard the first time, I took steps for it not to happen again and it didn't.

Can you say that?

posted on Jun, 6 2013 @ 08:57 PM
link   
reply to post by PtolemyII

Although this is not the case in this situation, i hear what your saying. When i was small my grandmother had a little dog that liked to run out the door whenever she would open it, it to got hit by a car. Poor grandma wasnt fast enough to catch it and it was a sneaky little one. She was just an old woman opening the door and walking out slowly, she wasnt really doing anything wrong. Situations happen with pets all the time and for people to come here and act like they are perfect with perfect sense all the time is a lie.

posted on Jun, 6 2013 @ 08:58 PM
link   
reply to post by Sankari

Your personal experience is about as credible as the Snopes articles you post .
You blather on ,and are proven wrong every time you post ,because you just seem to talk out of the left side of your mouth .
Just an observation .

posted on Jun, 6 2013 @ 08:59 PM
link   

Im glad you were able to take steps. They did take steps and the collar was the first act in this step. May not have been the right choice but buying a fence and fencing our yard is not a fiscal possibility at this time. As you stated above, you did have a dog escape on you, and you learned from it. I bet everyone around you wasnt waving their finger at you with a frown rudely claiming irresponsibility.

posted on Jun, 6 2013 @ 09:01 PM
link   

[mor

I was hiking with a friend of mine who had his pit harnessed with him, during the hike we were talking about the harness and he was telling me how they used to use a collar but she was able to escape. This was a few days ago.

It's because their necks are so muscular and are virtually as wide as their jaws. The collar slips off. Your friend was right, they must be harnessed for their safety and others. They are an amazing breed, so loyal and loving. Extremely playful, bit they take a bit more education and understanding for the owner than most other breeds. I suggest finding a book or two all about pits. I have several and most all of them are quite similar.

posted on Jun, 6 2013 @ 09:03 PM
link   

Yeah, im extremely disappointed at how this turned out because i love that dog. Although i do not own the house so i wont be modifying it. I do however plan on moving into another house in where i will be taking dog ownership into account.

Check with your home insurance company. Mine makes me pay an extra 100$ a month for my pits. I'm not trying to put you down or discourage you, just trying to offer years of experience as a pit owner and breed advocate.

posted on Jun, 6 2013 @ 09:04 PM
link   

It's because their necks are so muscular and are virtually as wide as their jaws. The collar slips off. Your friend was right, they must be harnessed for their safety and others. They are an amazing breed, so loyal and loving. Extremely playful, bit they take a bit more education and understanding for the owner than most other breeds. I suggest finding a book or two all about pits. I have several and most all of them are quite similar.

Thats true. They are an amazing breed although not my favorite, this dog was actually my brothers but he was our families more then his. I prefer dobermans. But i agree with you, if its a breed like pitbulls they do require a certain degree of knowledge for care.

posted on Jun, 6 2013 @ 09:06 PM
link   

I bet everyone around you wasnt waving their finger at you with a frown rudely claiming irresponsibility.

Not everyone but my older neighbour freaked out on me when I told him about it the next day. He said if he ever saw my dog running loose he'd shoot it because he was scared to death of it. He never called me irresponsible but he did call me a few other things. He didn't like me or my dog very much.

posted on Jun, 6 2013 @ 09:11 PM
link   

Im glad you were able to take steps. They did take steps and the collar was the first act in this step. May not have been the right choice but buying a fence and fencing our yard is not a fiscal possibility at this time. As you stated above, you did have a dog escape on you, and you learned from it. I bet everyone around you wasnt waving their finger at you with a frown rudely claiming irresponsibility.

It's not rude to call a spade a spade. Two dogs are dead now and it was because of irresponsibility. The dogs don't understand, he was most likely exploring because pit bulls love that. If you didn't have a privacy fence the dog should have been harnessed. And still the family member should have been present, never on a tied down lead or chain. A few things from this story transpired because of owner irresponsibility. Doesn't make you a bad person, but right now two dogs would still be alive had you taken different precautions. The point isn't necessarily to point fingers, but to hit the nail on the head and make sure your next pet and others in the neighborhood are safe and secure.

posted on Jun, 6 2013 @ 09:11 PM
link   

Sounds like a prick. I'm lucky enough to know the neighbors pretty well. At least it didnt happen that way.

posted on Jun, 6 2013 @ 09:12 PM
link   

I understand where your coming from when you clarify your position in such an articulate way. Thanks for taking the time to do so.

top topics

<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join