It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Record Powerball Winner is 84...

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 6 2013 @ 02:53 PM
link   
abcnews.go.com...

An elderly Florida woman has claimed the $590 million Powerball bonanza and revealed that she bought the winning ticket when another person waiting to buy a ticket let her jump the line.

Gloria C. Mackenzie, 84, of Zephyrhills, Fla., was named the winner of the largest Powerball jackpot in history, but was not present at the televised press conference.

Florida Lottery officials read a statement from her in which the elderly woman said:

"We bought the winning ticket as a single ticket, even though we bought four other tickets before the drawing. While in line at Publix another lottery player was kind enough to let me go ahead of them in line to purchase the winning Quick Pick ticket.

Ack! Can you imagine being THAT guy?

Obviously, she is taking the lump sum payout ($390 million before taxes).
edit on 6-6-2013 by Gazrok because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 6 2013 @ 02:58 PM
link   
reply to post by Gazrok

I hope she reaches out and gives them some money. I'd be pretty damn pissed by act of generosity let so such drastic losses lol

84 eh? Man...I bet you the Fed gets the bulk of that money after she dies lol

posted on Jun, 6 2013 @ 03:08 PM
link   
I almost threw up in bed last night while watching the evening news...I agree..I bet that dude is freaking bashing his head against the wall..when in line for largest jackpot in history...NO CUT-SEE..wait your dang turn. Makes me sick in a way..I bet her family is drooling at the mouth waiting for her to buy the farm.

posted on Jun, 6 2013 @ 03:13 PM
link   
reply to post by Gazrok

I saw her this morning while watching the news and I heard her age; and I thought to myself..."Her friends and relatives are going to be very lucky...if she has them in her will! "

Until that time I hope she truly enjoys herself; is smart about her new found wealth; and I am hoping very much she is not an easy target for scammers.

posted on Jun, 6 2013 @ 03:14 PM
link   
reply to post by Neopan100

Exactly....

84 eh? Man...I bet you the Fed gets the bulk of that money after she dies lol

Nah, her kids will.

I can't even imagine. I mean you could put millions in the bank and live high just off the interest.... My friends would benefit too, as I'd go in as silent partners with some seed money for each of them to try and start their own dream businesses.

posted on Jun, 6 2013 @ 03:17 PM
link   
reply to post by Gazrok

According to the interview on GMA this morning it was a woman accompanied by her young daughter who let the winner go ahead of them. The lady said it taught her child a valuable lesson about kindness being more important than money or something to that effect. Nice answer for the news cameras, but you know she has to be kicking herself!

posted on Jun, 6 2013 @ 03:32 PM
link   

Originally posted by littled16
reply to post by Gazrok

According to the interview on GMA this morning it was a woman accompanied by her young daughter who let the winner go ahead of them. The lady said it taught her child a valuable lesson about kindness being more important than money or something to that effect. Nice answer for the news cameras, but you know she has to be kicking herself!

I saw that as well. Then again, maybe she also playing on the heartstring by putting her face on camera hoping she get a little something.

But overall, it was a good answer.

posted on Jun, 6 2013 @ 03:54 PM
link   
reply to post by caladonea

Until that time I hope she truly enjoys herself; is smart about her new found wealth; and I am hoping very much she is not an easy target for scammers.

She seems to have spent the time to find a planner, lawyer, etc. Personally, I hope she surrounds herself with a bunch of 20 something oiled up cabana boys who hand feed her grapes, while she lives out her last years Betty White style....

posted on Jun, 6 2013 @ 04:25 PM
link   
If that happened to me, I'd probably give half to the lady that let me go in front of her.

posted on Jun, 6 2013 @ 05:07 PM
link   

Originally posted by Gazrok

She seems to have spent the time to find a planner, lawyer, etc. Personally, I hope she surrounds herself with a bunch of 20 something oiled up cabana boys who hand feed her grapes, while she lives out her last years Betty White style....

Betty White style...I love it!...

Seriously....Betty gives many of us a lot of hope as we grow older!

I am just hoping she has the right planner and lawyer etc. I hope those people are trustworthy.

posted on Jun, 7 2013 @ 08:10 AM
link   
Most of the times its always someone elderly winning such big jackpots. Why?

posted on Jun, 7 2013 @ 08:20 AM
link   
You know people that threw her in the retirement home or left her alone is going to find new found love for her and take her of her.

posted on Jun, 7 2013 @ 08:24 AM
link   
I once did something similar, I was at the post office and was gonna buy a scratch card and a little old dear was behind me so I let her go first and she bought a card also, as I bought mine she started saying "I have won I think I have won" I helped her check yup she won 5 grand....my ticket...not a bean.

Why does Karma work wrong sometimes? lol.

top topics

join