It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

6,000 year old Earth theory...?

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 6 2013 @ 02:52 PM
link   
Let me start off by saying that I am a Christian. When I first began to study more about religion and Christianity, all if not most of the literature I read suggested that the earth was created roughly 6,000 years ago. My main source of this was from my Scofield Study Bible, which conveniently marks the dates of the events in the bible on the top pages. It's not in front of me, so don't quote me, but I believe it starts Genesis 1:1 around ~4300BC. I believe Scofield got his dates based on various events within the bible and started working his way backwards based on biblical and historical events and the ages of various biblical people. (Kind of makes sense, right?)

I had a thought a few years ago, and I wonder if there is any validity to it...We Christians believe (for the most part) that when Adam and Eve were created, they we never meant to die, and that they started to "die" once they disobeyed God:

Gen 3:1-3; "Now the snake was more able to fool others than any animal of the field which the Lord God had made. He said to the woman, “Did God say that you should not eat from any tree in the garden?” 2 Then the woman said to the snake, “We may eat the fruit of the trees of the garden. 3 But from the tree which is in the center of the garden, God has said, ‘Do not eat from it or touch it, or you will die.’”

Clearly, they did not "die" instantly, I believe at that point they began to "die". You may or may not agree with me on this, but please sit tight.

Let's back track to the end of Genesis chapter 2:

22 The Lord God made woman from the bone which He had taken from the man. And He brought her to the man. 23 The man said, “This is now bone of my bones, and flesh of my flesh. She will be called Woman, because she was taken out of Man.” 24 For this reason a man will leave his father and his mother, and will be joined to his wife. And they will become one flesh. 25 The man and his wife were both without clothes and were not ashamed.

The beginning of chapter 3 beings with "Now the snake was more able to fool others than any animal of the field which the Lord God had made."... my question is; why do we assume there is no time gap between Genesis chapter 2 and chapter 3? For all we know, Adam and Eve could have lived millions of years from the point where Eve was created(end of chapter 2), to where she was deceived by the snake (beginning of chapter 3.)

What are your thoughts?

(btw, verses quoted are from the New Living Version)
edit on 6-6-2013 by Rulkiewicz because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 6 2013 @ 03:03 PM
link   
reply to post by Rulkiewicz

I can only speak for myself, but Genesis 1 appears to be a story of 7,000 years when Elohim created the image and archetypes of creation. Genesis 2 starts out with Elohim (God) stating that it is good. Next, we are introduced to the LORD for the first time and the second creation story. I did a thread on this, but what is suggested is that the second creation of the material world (Corruptable) was for the reason of refining children entering paradise (First Creation). In total, this gives us 13,000 years passing so far. Time follows the same law as the golden spiral, so the farther you go back, the longer span of time you experience. It's like looking from the top of a spiral staircase. The steps around you are large, while the steps farther back a smaller. This is a feature of relativity and time dilation. Since time and space are one thing, we perceive our own world as time passing as the large steps. In reality, the universe is expanding. Here are the threads I created that you need:

6 Days is 6000 Literally

Time Dilation

Two Creation Stories

I would suggest watching the movie, The Genesis Code on Netflix. The rest of my threads should give you a good understanding of various physics involved with Creation and how the IMAGE of Genesis 1 is the hologram of the Material World rendered by Christ. John 1 calls it created by Word (Information).

Hebrews 9 (Why the copy was necessary)

23 It was necessary, then, for the copies of the heavenly things to be purified with these sacrifices, but the heavenly things themselves with better sacrifices than these. 24 For Christ did not enter a sanctuary made with human hands that was only a copy of the true one; he entered heaven itself, now to appear for us in God’s presence. 25 Nor did he enter heaven to offer himself again and again, the way the high priest enters the Most Holy Place every year with blood that is not his own. 26 Otherwise Christ would have had to suffer many times since the creation of the world. But he has appeared once for all at the culmination of the ages to do away with sin by the sacrifice of himself. 27 Just as people are destined to die once, and after that to face judgment, 28 so Christ was sacrificed once to take away the sins of many; and he will appear a second time, not to bear sin, but to bring salvation to those who are waiting for him.

edit on 6-6-2013 by EnochWasRight because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 6 2013 @ 03:05 PM
link   

A couple things...

So do you think that the earth or whatever this is only 6k years old? Reason I ask is, you asked why there couldn't be a million years between G2 and G3.

secondly... Why such an elaborate lie. Why go to such lengths to prove this planets time line or existence is X amount of years. Science says billions whereas religion says thousands. What's the benefit?

posted on Jun, 6 2013 @ 03:20 PM
link   
reply to post by BlastedCaddy

... I don't know.

I can't say for certain that the earth is 6,000 years old and I'm open to the idea that it might be millions of years old. It seems that anyone who doesn't believe the earth is 6000 years old is automatically categorized as an unbeliever.

Why the fuss over thousands of years verse millions/billions of years? I think it boils down to agenda. The majority of evolutionists believe that the earth is mil/billions of years old, whereas the majority of Christians/Creationist believe the world is ~6,000 years old. People love to prove other people wrong.

posted on Jun, 6 2013 @ 03:37 PM
link   
We know from human and other animal remains that earth is far older than 6k.

Even man himself is older than that.

posted on Jun, 6 2013 @ 03:37 PM
link   

I don't believe in the early earth creation story, and I'm a Christian. If would cook your noddle though to grasp the significance and implication of the kind of cosmological framework of evolutionary intelligent design that I subscribe to.

If interested check out Undeniable Proof of Intelligent Design..

Best regards,

NAM

posted on Jun, 6 2013 @ 03:41 PM
link   

Originally posted by Rulkiewicz
reply to post by BlastedCaddy

... I don't know.

I can't say for certain that the earth is 6,000 years old and I'm open to the idea that it might be millions of years old. It seems that anyone who doesn't believe the earth is 6000 years old is automatically categorized as an unbeliever.

Why the fuss over thousands of years verse millions/billions of years? I think it boils down to agenda. The majority of evolutionists believe that the earth is mil/billions of years old, whereas the majority of Christians/Creationist believe the world is ~6,000 years old. People love to prove other people wrong.

The majority of Christains do not believe in the 6000 year earth theory nor in in a 100% literal intepretation of the Bible. The people who do are the new versions of Christianity like the Southern Baptists, Evangelicals, Mormons, Jehovas Witnesses and such. Mostly its an American thing in the fundamentalists South. Jewish tradition was to teach lessons through parables, a tradition Jesus also followed. These storys were to teach not to be taken a literal events. Most people simply believe in evolution sparked a supreme being as a way to address both science and faith.

posted on Jun, 6 2013 @ 03:46 PM
link   
Why do Christians try to make facts out of the non factual events of the Bible? Is it not more conceivable to admit that the bible is flawed rather than try to dilute events and reasoning to fit the absurdness of the bible? You read it and it did not make sense to you do not try to imply or suggest that some hidden reasoning exists.

posted on Jun, 6 2013 @ 03:47 PM
link   

what are you people rambling about,,, measuring time,,,,
the snake lies inside the spine.
edit on 6-6-2013 by solve because: measuring time

wait, let me get my time measuring device,,, could someone hold it still?

edit on 6-6-2013 by solve because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 6 2013 @ 03:50 PM
link   
reply to post by toktaylor

Though raised in a "Christian" home, I make no claim to "being" a "Christian." That said -- those who claim the earth is 6000 years old tend to hold -- as a cornerstone of their faith -- that the Bible itself is the infallible word of G_d.

This might not make a lot of sense to you, but it is foundational to what they believe.

posted on Jun, 6 2013 @ 03:58 PM
link   
reply to post by 0zzymand0s

Of which of the God(s)? The bible is so "accurate"...

Text
EXO 15:3 The LORD is a man of war: the LORD is his name.
ROM 15:33 Now the God of peace be with you all. Amen.

PSA 145:9 The LORD is good to all: and his tender mercies are over all his works.
JER 13:14 And I will dash them one against another, even the fathers and the sons together, saith the LORD: I will not pity, nor spare, nor have mercy, but destroy them.

OR..other inconsistencies..I could go on all day...

MAT 1:16 And Jacob begat Joseph the husband of Mary, of whom was born Jesus, who is called Christ.
LUK 3:23 And Jesus himself began to be about thirty years of age, being (as was supposed) the son of Joseph, which was the son of Heli.

edit on 6-6-2013 by toktaylor because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 6 2013 @ 04:05 PM
link   
reply to post by toktaylor

Are you trying to trip me up with inconsistency? I thought I was pretty clear. I don't believe the Bible is the infallible word of the creator any more than I believe Marvel Comics "Thor" is. I'm just pointing out that Biblical Infallibility is an article of faith for many Christians, which leads to things like believing in a literal 6000 year old "earth."

Personally? I'm still upset I can't own Canadians, or stone my disobedient children to death, as the book of Leviticus instructs me to do.

posted on Jun, 6 2013 @ 04:06 PM
link   
I think it's every 7000 years the world gets recycled because of the the earth gets corrupted, The reason God seems like a homicidal maniac in the OT is because of the watchers came down and had children with the woman of earth. These children born became giants and they began to sin against the birds and animals genetically and these angels taught man them these things.

These genetically engineered beings are the Gods of Egypt and Greece and the Giants where the Titans.

He destroyed these abominations and but it will happen again as we see today and we are nearing the 7000 mark again but this time it will be people that look like us that will claim to be our ancestors as in the days of Noah so shall it be again. They have been taking things from human in these so called alien abductions and have been creating a race that will come and claim we are brothers.

Dinosaurs are mentioned in Job

Job 40:15-24

New International Version (NIV)

15 “Look at Behemoth,
which I made along with you
and which feeds on grass like an ox.
16 What strength it has in its loins,
what power in the muscles of its belly!
17 Its tail sways like a cedar;
the sinews of its thighs are close-knit.
18 Its bones are tubes of bronze,
its limbs like rods of iron.
19 It ranks first among the works of God,
yet its Maker can approach it with his sword.
20 The hills bring it their produce,
and all the wild animals play nearby.
21 Under the lotus plants it lies,
hidden among the reeds in the marsh.
22 The lotuses conceal it in their shadow;
the poplars by the stream surround it.
23 A raging river does not alarm it;
it is secure, though the Jordan should surge against its mouth.
24 Can anyone capture it by the eyes,
or trap it and pierce its nose?

This video will explain the what I mean and why God flooded the world.

edit on 6-6-2013 by WarriorOfLight96 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 6 2013 @ 04:08 PM
link   
reply to post by WarriorOfLight96

What's wrong with G_d that -- despite his infallibility, omnipotence and omnipresence, he cannot design a world that doesn't need to be destroyed every 7000 years?

Doesn't seem like a very intelligent design to me.....

posted on Jun, 6 2013 @ 04:11 PM
link   
reply to post by WarriorOfLight96

the dinosaur or behemoth is easily explained, same goes for angkor wat ---
fossils are found in the ground and stories are made up,,, just like we still do.

cool legends though..

posted on Jun, 6 2013 @ 04:12 PM
link   
Dendrochronology (counting tree rings) allows scientist to go back a thousand years. Then the science of carbon 14 allows scientists date objects back several thousand years. But this is not just theory (pretty good theory. That relies on the consistent molecular decay of carbon). There is overlap with the tree rings to prove this.

So the science is well proven for the earth to be over 6,000 year old and there are a huge number of theories now based in this (whole of geology, tectonic plates, much of astronomy, red shift theory). I suspect that people hunting coal and oil would be very disappointed at the world being so young as well.

posted on Jun, 6 2013 @ 04:14 PM
link   
reply to post by templar knight

Or super excited. After all -- a 6000 year old earth would mean coal and oil are far more renewable than we have previously thought.

posted on Jun, 6 2013 @ 04:23 PM
link   
reply to post by templar knight

we humans really believe anything that we are told...
if a change happens in-for example a tree- how does this prove the existence of time?

stuff happens in the eternal now.

posted on Jun, 6 2013 @ 04:24 PM
link   
I think that physicists, astronomers, astrophysicists, cosmologists, chemists, biologists, geneticists, biochemists, geologists, volcanologists and paleontologists may really be onto something with the whole "there's no way that the Earth is anywhere near six thousand years old."

But, of course, maybe when they all get together to discuss their own penchant for satanism, pedophilia and wanting to establish a secular one world government, they put this "truth" on the long list of "facts" that shall remain secret from the public.

posted on Jun, 6 2013 @ 04:32 PM
link   
reply to post by 0zzymand0s

Free will and you could choose to follow God's rules or someone else and of course we choose the fallen and we did have it right in the beginning but we chose our free will over this. people wanted to be like God's and did not want to die and we had immortality already and we could have had this knowledge if we asked God ourselves but we choose to listen to the snake.

The world is a lot older but it's humans that are like children when it comes to understanding and just watch the video.

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join