It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Air China B752 near Chengdu on Jun 4th 2013, Hit at 26,246 feet?

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 6 2013 @ 04:21 PM
link   
it is most likely a goose that's been hit at altitude, is there any other reported damage ?

posted on Jun, 6 2013 @ 04:21 PM
link   
It doesn't look like a failure, some of the missing paint is scraped out, also the right-hand windscreen wiper does not appear to be at rest, whether that is relevant or not.

posted on Jun, 6 2013 @ 04:24 PM
link   
reply to post by Jekka

Usually they do, but sometimes you get a few hailstones thrown out of a storm that go for a good distance. It's kind of like lightning from a thunderstorm. Usually it stays close, but sometimes it throws bolts out 40 or 50 miles.

posted on Jun, 6 2013 @ 04:32 PM
link   

Originally posted by Gazrok
From comparing it to other pics of hail-damaged nose cones of aircraft, it certainly seems similar. it's hitting at high velocity, so it's surprising it is such a big dent.

My point exactly, in a way, because any hail stone large enough to create a dent with that surface area would have to be close to or over a meter in diameter, and hail is generally irregularly shaped at that altitude(i.e. spikes and edges) and would have punctured the radome. Whatever the plane hit had to have come in at an angle at some speed itself or it would have punctured instead of caroming off to the side.

posted on Jun, 6 2013 @ 04:44 PM
link   
reply to post by Zaphod58

That is a reasonable possibility, and It would account for the lack of further damage to the craft from flying through an actual storm.

posted on Jun, 7 2013 @ 08:41 AM
link   
reply to post by weemadmental

I don't know if other damage occurred..I just picked up the story from RSOE..that's all the info they had. Maybe in the next few days they will be able to tell us what happened..

new topics

top topics

<< 1   >>

join