It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Chicken Smoker Rub

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 6 2013 @ 01:29 PM
link   
Does anyone have a good recipe for a good rub for a whole chicken in a smoker?

Thanks.

posted on Jun, 6 2013 @ 01:42 PM
link   
reply to post by TheFlash

Here is one similar to one I used to use when I had a smoker. The two missing ingredients that I would also use would be 1T of chili powder and 3T of brown sugar.....

One other thing you might want to try is "brining" your chicken before applying the dry rub and smoking it!! Just do a google of how to brine a chicken and you will get some good ideas.....

Bottom line, experiment without getting crazy and adjust to your taste accordingly. Now you got me jonesin to get another smoker!

◾3.5-pound whole body chicken
◾1 tablespoon garlic powder
◾1 teaspoon paprika
◾1 teaspoon ground ginger
◾1 teaspoon cumin
◾1 teaspoon dried rosemary
◾1/2 teaspoon salt
◾½ teaspoon ground black pepper

To Smoke:

Turn your smoker on the medium setting and allow it to warm up for 10 minutes. Turn it down to the smoke setting and keep it there for 5 minutes before putting the chicken on. In a small bowl, add all of the spices and mix to combine. Sprinkle evenly over the whole body chicken and use your hands to lightly press the spices into the chicken. Note: If you have the time, you can refrigerate your rubbed chicken for up to 24 hours (Ours was rubbed up in the refer for 2 hours before smoking). If you enjoy drizzling oil over your meat before you add a dry rub, feel free. I only add oil when I think it is absolutely necessary and in most cases, I don’t think it’s necessary. The key is to cook the meat to the proper temperature, which is around 165 degrees for poultry.

Place chicken on the smoker either breast-side down or breast-side up on the smoker. Close the lid and allow chicken to smoke for 3 to 3.5 hours, depending on the temperature of your smoker. Checking the temperature of the meat with a thermometer, the chicken should be about 165 degrees on the inside. If it needs more time after 3 hours, you can put your smoker on the high setting in order to finish cooking and give the skin a nice crisp, careful not to over-cook.

posted on Jun, 6 2013 @ 01:56 PM
link   
reply to post by seeker1963

Thanks! I'll give it a try.

posted on Jun, 6 2013 @ 02:42 PM
link   
Ahhhhh one of my most favorite subjects. I bought my first charcoal smoker 3 years ago. It's basically a charcoal grill with the side smoker box. I had a gas grill at the moment but since then I've used my gas grill no more than 5 times and that was just to do potato packets. I'm never going back to gas! I've never done whole chickens but just chicken breasts and wings. I'm a very big fan of doing pork butts. My only problem is that it is very hard to keep a 275 temp for 7-8 hours. So usually I give it a good smoking for about 4-5 hours then throw it in the crock pot for the final 2-3 hours. My next big investment will be an electric smoker. One like Smoky Mountain or Masterbuilt. I also recommend watching a show on Discovery called BBQ Pit Masters. Good luck...I haven't tried to make my own rub yet but hope to soon.

posted on Jun, 6 2013 @ 02:49 PM
link   
reply to post by HawkeyeNation

I have BBQed for decades too but tried doing ribs on a smoker last month. They were awesome and my lady and I are HOOKED. I am looking at a wireless thermometer now and all sorts of cool stuff.

posted on Jun, 10 2013 @ 11:04 AM
link   
reply to post by seeker1963

I tried your recipe yesterday and it was great. Thanks again!

new topics

top topics

join