It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Report: Verizon providing all call records to U.S. under court order

page: 8
<< 5  6  7    9  10 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 6 2013 @ 06:19 PM
link   
Aren't you all tired of being manipulated by just the act of a few. If your speaking about it on here, or to your friends out in your social lives.

Are you able to stand up for yourself against the government that is doing this to you? Or, even try to change it?

No, I don't think you will. Because the majority of you have know idea what the government might do to you, and you all live in constant fear, based on the acts of a few.

So be happy in you Orwellian society, and love being controlled and puppeteered by the powers that be.

None of you will change anything...

posted on Jun, 6 2013 @ 06:35 PM
link   
Isn't just verizon:

www.washingtonpost.com...

Prism

Microsoft,google,facebook,youtube, etc.

Big brother knows what your watching, who your talking to, pretty much your entire digital lives.

Guess what people?

Facebook wasn't even public under the last admin,

posted on Jun, 6 2013 @ 06:37 PM
link   
Any relation to PRISM?
www.washingtonpost.com... in-broad-secret-program/2013/06/06/3a0c0da8-cebf-11e2-8845-d970ccb04497_story_1.html
edit on 6-6-2013 by sleepdealer because: (no reason given)

Anyway- how is this a surprise to anyone?

posted on Jun, 6 2013 @ 06:38 PM
link   
Yeah but google and microsoft only want my info so I can have a better shopping experience

posted on Jun, 6 2013 @ 06:38 PM
link   

Originally posted by sleepdealer
Any relation to PRISM?
www.washingtonpost.com... in-broad-secret-program/2013/06/06/3a0c0da8-cebf-11e2-8845-d970ccb04497_story_1.html

Yes it is prism.

posted on Jun, 6 2013 @ 06:40 PM
link   
reply to post by Ghost375

Have you ever heard of these things called computer programs?

You set one up to filter out messages with specific keywords, and it makes it extremely simple to find what they're looking for.

Computer programs? Yeah.. I think I read about those once in a book somewhere. Heck, I believe I've even been around those mythical beasts they refer to as "Databases". I'm not sure though..I'll have to confirm that and get back to ya.

Assuming that was what they called that thing Access makes? Well, I'm also well aware of how a search algorithm is only the first and easier stage of the process for data collection, assimilation and recall. If someone has a targeted and manageable sized pool of data to work with, it's a manageable size of returns to sort through. If, however, they have...say...30 million people's texts recorded in a database and keyword search Nuclear Weapon in the same week Iran or North Korea has made big headlines? Well now, finding the ONE reference in the bunch that meant a REAL weapon that person actually HAD....would make finding a needle in a haystack look like a kindergarten game.

You know, for all the 'needle in a haystack' games I saw in carnivals and school fund raising days growing up? I can't recall ever seeing someone FIND the stupid thing. Oh I am sure someone did...but I was never around when it happened.

It's all math and odds. Pure math.....and scale of numbers makes the math get utterly absurd if the search isn't targeted by specific name and individual. They can get THAT without the daily record dump.
edit on 6-6-2013 by Wrabbit2000 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 6 2013 @ 06:59 PM
link   

Originally posted by Ghost375

Originally posted by Wrabbit2000
There is a point where having *SO* much information equates to having nothing much at all for the sheer mess and chaotic jumble it all makes for them. Oh I pity the poor NSA gomers who get assigned to this duty. I don't know who you'd have to piss off or be on the bad side of, but it would surely be punishment details all the way for trying to make any sense from that literal OCEAN of 99% junk.

Have you ever heard of these things called computer programs?

Yeah, I too used to think that the sheer volume of info collected would make it impossible to get anything out of that data.

Then I took a course on "Machine Learning" , and had my eyes opened. The machine algorithms can find all the relevant data faster than you can blink an eye. Humans not needed.

posted on Jun, 6 2013 @ 06:59 PM
link   
this story was on yahoo news... in it there is a breakdown graph on who voted for what .

news.yahoo.com..." target="_blank" class="postlink">news.yahoo.com... congress-authorizing-government-spying-164654883.html

posted on Jun, 6 2013 @ 07:29 PM
link   
Did people honestly think they were anonymous on the net? Did you think your firewall or behind 7 proxies meant anything? The US government knows what is coming, that the HOPE AND CHANGE was a flop, the economy isn't getting any better, your reserve currency status / petrol dollar is in jeopardy......things are going to get ugly fast.

The writing has been on the wall for years now, and they have been taking steps in becoming a police state when it finally all comes to a boil. But as to this, I assumed "they" were snooping ages ago. When you are on the net, don't say anything that you wouldn't in public.....because that is essentially what you are doing. What you say, where you go - it is all being monitored and analyzed.

Be seeing you all in a re-education camp sometime in the near future.

posted on Jun, 6 2013 @ 07:30 PM
link   
This has been going on for quite a while.
cryptome.org...
I am not for it.
edit on 6-6-2013 by errck because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 6 2013 @ 07:32 PM
link   
I love the beginning of this article:

U.S. government secretly collecting data on millions of Verizon users: Report

The Obama administration has defended its gathering of phone records....

ca.news.yahoo.com...

Yes, admit that you are becoming a police state.....and hey, there are even some that approve of this, even here on ATS. Though for some I imagine that tune will change when a Republican becomes president.

posted on Jun, 6 2013 @ 07:36 PM
link   
reply to post by MidnightTide

This isn't an Obama thing. It's been going on way before he took office.
Blame CANADA why not.

posted on Jun, 6 2013 @ 07:56 PM
link   
I know few will read or care about this but a few points (tangents? sorry, do not mean to derail, just expanding the conversation) on the matter:

1. The NSA maintains all this at their super-duper, high-speed facility in Utah. How long before the next geek invents the next step in technology rendering all those billions of tax payer dollars useless? How long before the geek and the invention never see the light of day again?

2. Makes sense now why these telecommunication companies were allowed to monopolize the market. They are now over a barrel and/or riding the gravy train. Much simpler to control when all the eggs are in just a couple of baskets.

3. Eric Holder was before Congress answering questions on this. The bottom line was the panel members wanted to know if Congressional members were under the same scrutiny. If so, would this not give the Executive branch a ton of power over the Legislative Branch? Nope, not worried about you and me, they are worried about their next election/$$$. He refused to answer the question. That sounds like an answer to me.

4. Is it me or do the creepy-crawlies we keep electing seem mesmerized by the possibility of all this intrusive surveillance making them wealthy?

posted on Jun, 6 2013 @ 08:15 PM
link   
Terrorism is the new abracadabra. All you have to do is invoke the fear of it, and everything is permitted.

posted on Jun, 6 2013 @ 08:29 PM
link   
reply to post by ABNARTY

They are building one on the East Coast right now. A friend of mind contractor does work on it. He said this place was gigantic.

posted on Jun, 6 2013 @ 09:23 PM
link   
It's possible that their data collections be "sold" to debt credit collection companies. As employees, loan companies, debt creditors are already scanning people's Facebook about the person who owes money. This would be a goldmine of information for them, with being able to access it all from one source. From jobs, to places you are eligible to rent or own to IRS and ObamaCare, this "history" scorecard will determine what you can and cannot do in your life. As to say "credit" scorecard for all of your daily activities, phone use, net use-search and social networking, etc., included in with debt, job history, rental history, etc.

posted on Jun, 6 2013 @ 09:24 PM
link   

Is it a wonder why more and more people have little or no respect for their governments any longer?
edit on 6-6-2013 by MidnightTide because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 6 2013 @ 09:56 PM
link   
omg this is such old news that even italian cinema captured it back in 2006. See "In Ascolto" (The Listening).

Corporate america pioneered the tech long ago. They have been selling any useful info to the govt. Perhaps the govt figures they can save some money by gathering and sorting the data themselves. If anything, maybe they want to use the data in legit way and have to make it legal to collect.

Anyhow, I don't know why anyone blames any pres for anything significant anymore. Don't you know the pres is the U.S. queen? No power and all pomp. He doesn't do anything he isn't told. The guy who makes $400k a year doesn't tell the guy who makes $400M a year what to do. Other way around. I wonder how many times he's watched his wife and kids be tortured by the c r a pht .

posted on Jun, 6 2013 @ 10:19 PM
link   
reply to post by JacKatMtn

Of course---why not-not only do we have Orwellian screens in our lives--we pay top dollar for them! And a monthly service fee for NSA access on top of that!...Wow what a great way to get the public to fund surveillance--all the feds pay for is servers, refrigerated buildings, tech geeks and rented cable from Microsoft or Google. Speaking of Microsoft or Google--PROMISE software anyone--love your safeway card and ace hardware card..me too? those surveillance tools detail your life for the NSA--what brand toilet paper, what beer or milk you buy---fun---not only is it already done----the geeks at Google and other tech corps are actually able to create future predictive models on your behavior based on your information and movements. Some blow it off and say they can't keep track of everyone--well the answer is--yes they can-they don't need to track it-all it takes is a piece of Identification and voila--out comes a linear slice of information based on chronological records of all of your internet and cell service activity since they were able to collect it-(That is why the search function is the core of the internet)-like a slice of thin pie out a a 10 petabyte cloud of all the interwebs---kid you not..that is the state of the technology today--
anything less then that is a bold faced lie.

posted on Jun, 6 2013 @ 10:21 PM
link   
Previously this was something only said in places like ATS and now we have it on just about every major news website, yet all people can do is say they aren't surprised? And our (s)elected officials tell us this is routine and to be ignored? They might as well be slapping us in the face at this point and telling us it was a kiss. If there was any hope for this country VZ shares should be be in free-fall and all their phone lines tied up with people canceling service in numbers so great that the bean counters vomit. Phonelines to congress should be jam packed with people bringing their ire to bear, funds should be drying up for every single company found to comply with these orders, but they wont. The sad fact is that people won't sack up and sever ties with companies that violate their privacy in blatant and egregious ways, instead they will roll over and go back to whatever they were doing and try to forget about the news because its not entertaining (but rather horrifying).

new topics

top topics

<< 5  6  7    9  10 >>

join