It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Report: Verizon providing all call records to U.S. under court order

page: 5
<< 2  3  4    6  7  8 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 6 2013 @ 11:02 AM
link   
They have been recording everything for years.
TPTB are just now making it public.

posted on Jun, 6 2013 @ 11:08 AM
link   
If anyone in the world actually believes any of their private information is actually private than they live in a bubble.

There are cameras everywhere. Satellites which can track your movement from space. Lasers that can distinquish what is said behind closed doors. The technology is endless.

Privacy is as much an illusion as freedom.

posted on Jun, 6 2013 @ 11:10 AM
link   
reply to post by JacKatMtn

I could not resist.......

posted on Jun, 6 2013 @ 11:13 AM
link   
I think it would be safe to assume if they are doing this to Verizon that it is also happening to all other major phone company's, this is just the only court order that has been leaked. By the way Metadata also includes your phones GPS. To me this can be used as a very useful tool in order to track and or strike targets with Unmanned Aerial Vehicles AKA Drones.

posted on Jun, 6 2013 @ 11:28 AM
link   

Well this makes sense. They must of finished the programing and hardware aspect of their temporal machine. Or rather, a machine that takes as much data about the past and present to predict the future. Not only that, it functions as a database of the connectiveness of people, who people associate with etc. Granted it is incredibly fishy and a totalitarian act to build such machines...

posted on Jun, 6 2013 @ 11:29 AM
link   

Originally posted by Arbitrageur

Originally posted by buddhasystem
The database technology in itself has picked up significantly, with multiple noSQL platforms and map-reduce taken to new scale.
The size of the data will reach a new scale so I guess search capabilities need to advance significantly.

After Gigabyte and Terabyte there's petabytes, exabytes, zettabytes, and yottabytes.

What scale data size do scientists work with? Petabytes or exabytes?

Right now, in just one project out of a few, it's moving from peta to exa. The caveat of course is that you can't simply search it the way you use google, then again the data is simply more complex.

With Big Data being da sh!t in technology right now, I don't clearly see the limits of what can be done, outside of the limits of the electrical power that's needed to run data centers. Look at
Titan - the can query graphs with HUNDREDS OF BILLIONS of vertices.

Godlike.

posted on Jun, 6 2013 @ 11:45 AM
link   

Originally posted by fishy6
They have been recording everything for years.
TPTB are just now making it public.

You are correct.. Seems this is business as usual, with full knowledge of the House and Senate committees overseeing this type deal.

Senate leaders say NSA data gathering is routine

..."This is nothing particularly new. This has been going on for seven years under the auspices of the (Foreign Intelligence Surveillance Act) authority and every member of the United States Senate has been advised of this," said Sen. Saxby Chambliss, R-Ga., the top Republican on the intelligence panel. "To my knowledge we have not had any citizen who has registered a complaint relative to the gathering of this information, and it is simply what we call 'meta data.'"...

Whew, nothing to see here, they have just made it public what many here on ATS suspected was going on despite agency officials claiming that they were not gathering data on US citizens.

I feel so much better now..

posted on Jun, 6 2013 @ 12:09 PM
link   
reply to post by Zeno

Exactly, this could be about whistle blowers" the Obama administration has been one of the biggest enemies of whistle blowers", something that is shaking the entire independent media community and a subject that is hitting home more than ever.

Perhaps that is why all major media outlets are over the roof on this one.

Is going to be interesting to hear what the pro freedom of media have to say about this one.

posted on Jun, 6 2013 @ 12:12 PM
link   

Saxby Chambliss:" it is simply what we call 'meta data'".

We keep letting them go with this crap, they will be thinking up a pleasant name for summary executions.

Hmmmm, how about 'meta sleeping'?

posted on Jun, 6 2013 @ 12:13 PM
link   

The problem is that you can not trust when is corruption hiding behind the laws that are passed in this country financed by private interest lobbyist to step on the US constitution and the rights of private citizens.

In other words corruption is protecting its own, so when an act of tyranny is pushed into the citizens of the nation the governemnt can hide back behind their own corrupted laws.

The Patriot act is one of the biggest eroders of Americans constitutional rights ever enacted, the sad thing is that it was suppoused to be temporarily obviously is been abused by the same corrupted entities that got it enacted.

America needs to wake up once and for all.

posted on Jun, 6 2013 @ 12:17 PM
link   

"To my knowledge we have not had any citizen who has registered a complaint relative to the gathering of this information,

from the source,

I guess is time to start getting the lawyers on this one and file for citizens vs the government corruption law sue.

How about that for starters.

edit on 6-6-2013 by marg6043 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 6 2013 @ 12:28 PM
link   
And Obama and his people had to have secret untraceable E mail accounts they'll never allow disclosed. All this seems to be aimed at finding out what people have found out about what they're doing. They are totally paranoid and they're has to be a reason.
Most clandestine and least transparent administration EVER. And the most corrupt.

posted on Jun, 6 2013 @ 12:35 PM
link   
reply to post by Dutchowl

I believe that that is one of the main points on this one, specially trying to gather information on how the people feel about the first news information of the Bengahzi scandal that started to take fly during the time this information was been gathered.

No only that but he also has been going after the whistle blowers along with any anti polices groups.

posted on Jun, 6 2013 @ 12:59 PM
link   
Government has become fearful of us.
And with good reason.

The government has lied to us about;
Wars
Economy
Unemployment
Foreign Policy
GMO Foods
etc.

They have been lying for YEARS! Only now? They're pretty much busted. Hence the drive to remove us from our arms. Hence the push to find out what we are saying.

They (the government) is scared. They are nothing but cowards who use others for their own means. And like cowards, they will use any mean at their disposal to find out as much as they can because they live in perpetual fear that one day, enough people are going to get sick of their ####, and call them on it.

We are ruled by despotic cowards. Slap an R or a D by their name, makes no difference. It's all nothing but talk anyway.
And this is how cowards, sniveling, drooling, yellow-belly, cowards act.

I also-. . . .; a van just pulled up. . . be right back. . . .

posted on Jun, 6 2013 @ 01:02 PM
link   
I just signed up here so I could leave my 2 cents. Does this mean they can just pull up a phone conversation ive had in 2013 ordering up some pot all because they have the authority to do it? Can they pile up evidence on a person prematurely so in the event they commit a crime they can jail them? This will end bad. This is so limited too and is only a matter of time before they start going into our computers.

posted on Jun, 6 2013 @ 01:03 PM
link   
reply to post by GODISNOTGREAT

They are in them now.

Welcome to ATS.

posted on Jun, 6 2013 @ 01:03 PM
link   
reply to post by beezzer

Thanks for that, I remember also that during the time of information gathering was also the Obama administration gun control policies been discussed in the senate.

Interesting.

posted on Jun, 6 2013 @ 01:10 PM
link   

Originally posted by beezzer
reply to post by GODISNOTGREAT

They are in them now.

Welcome to ATS.

I expect so, but its when we all know about it because of it leaking like this and becoming headline news that it becomes scary, because then, to me anyways, it seems like they can use that to justify introducing evidence to prosecute people on trial that they only obtained through an invasion of privacy made legal under the patriot act years before that individual was even arrested and charged with a crime. For example: "it is a well known fact that verizon wireless has turned over all of the information needed to obtain this evidence and therefore it is admissible in a court of law."

posted on Jun, 6 2013 @ 01:11 PM
link   
Read this from ZDNet . . . an IT publication . . . I've posted a few snippets, but I strongly recommend you read the whole article, which can be found . . .

Here

There is no doubt that this is a massive domestic spying campaign by the U.S. government — it's clear from the document — through its intelligence services. But unlike previous cases involving the NSA and AT&T, this time around it has been warranted by the aforementioned secret court.

Is this order in breach of Fourth Amendment rights to "unreasonable" searches?
This one is tricky. Arguably yes, but also perhaps not. The Fourth Amendment protects U.S. residents from the U.S. government — not private companies — conducting "unreasonable" searches.

However, the FISC has ruled before that similar NSA surveillance violated the Fourth Amendment. According to Sen. Ron Wyden (D-OR) said that the court has ruled that the intelligence it collected was "unreasonable" under the law.

Despite being held in secret, the FISC is accountable, albeit to a small number of select politicians on the Senate Intelligence Committee. No records are kept and the ones that are will be treated with the highest security classification possible.
ex]

posted on Jun, 6 2013 @ 01:13 PM
link   

Originally posted by HomerinNC

Originally posted by SloAnPainful

No that doesn't look good at all...

*sigh*

Of course it's my service provider...

-SAP-

unfortunately, this will most likely expand to ALL providers

I think thats naive.

The order was confirmed as "a three month renewal of an ongoing practise" - Senator Feinstien.

Considering one part of the order was a gagging order prohibiting disclosure of the order itself you'd be foolish to assume its limited to just this one network to this point.

Its likely to already be all of them, ongoing, and has been for some time.

new topics

top topics

<< 2  3  4    6  7  8 >>

join