It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Exclusive: Co-hosts of radio show 'The Pursuit of Happiness' committed suicide

page: 5
<< 2  3  4   >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 8 2013 @ 09:53 PM
link   
I'll bet good money that a good majority of "Self-Help Gurus" are the ones that need the most help.

If you've ever heard any of these Gurus' spiels, you'd understand how they like to complicate the simplest of emotions...happiness. This level of complication and necessary steps, procedures, etc. to find contentment, actually adds a lot of stress to the individuals they are supposedly trying to help.

Most of the time it is all fluff. Designed to sell books, prescribe drugs, or whatever. Know thyself, and find your own happiness. There. Easy as Pie.

posted on Jun, 8 2013 @ 10:02 PM
link   
reply to post by AGWskeptic

I thought of becoming a behavioral health counselor for Vets, having been there, done that. But after a bit, I realized that I would probably do more harm than good.

Not everybody with a problem is a whiner, but I know that is the way I would eventually view them after a period. Sometimes it sucks being honest with one’s self.

posted on Jun, 8 2013 @ 10:05 PM
link   

Originally posted by TDawgRex

I thought of becoming a behavioral health counselor for Vets, having been there, done that. But after a bit, I realized that I would probably do more harm than good.

Not everybody with a problem is a whiner, but I know that is the way I would eventually view them after a period. Sometimes it sucks being honest with one’s self.

It why addicts, in my opinion, make such crappy chemical dependency counselors.

They relapse with a higher frequency than non counselors.

posted on Jun, 8 2013 @ 10:15 PM
link   

Originally posted by AGWskeptic
...crappy chemical dependency counselors.

P 1,966 F 201 S 2,891 W 23 K 23
I am new here.
I see that you have 1966 posts and 2891 stars and 201 flags.
Can you provide some proof that addicted counselors relapse with a higher frequency than non counselors.
edit on 8-6-2013 by spirited75 because: than non counselors.

capiche?
edit on 8-6-2013 by spirited75 because: capiche?

posted on Jun, 8 2013 @ 10:21 PM
link   

On the humorous side, my being a a former gruff old school NCO, I could see my patients leaving my office in tears.

"He's mean...make the bad man go away!"

But once I pictured that, I knew that it wasn't the job for me.

My 'ol First Sergeant told people said I would never suffer from PTSD because I gave it to others.

posted on Jun, 8 2013 @ 11:06 PM
link   
That is too bad. Two people took their lives, and they are self-help coaches? Anyone see the irony in that? There should be no shame in seeking help. As times continue to progressively get harder as they have, and will continue to do so?

That weight on their shoulders is going to be more they can bare. Sometimes it is okay to let it drop, and let the chips fall where they may. I don't mean taking one's life, but not letting the affairs of the world weigh them down. There are a lot of people out there that need help, and we as a society need to loosen the stigma associated with those that are having mental or personal problems. When we do that, perhaps quite a few suicides can be averted? Sparing the suicide victim's families a whole of lot of pain and anguish. There is not much more to add, but I think it is safe to say that this is an emerging crisis.
edit on 8-6-2013 by Jakes51 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 9 2013 @ 03:51 PM
link   
I used to listen to them all the time. "Pursuit of Happiness" show.

What a fool-tool I am.

Darryl Forests

posted on Jun, 11 2013 @ 12:25 AM
link   
No mental illness, no failure of positive thinking. This is what the c r a ph t does for fun. Call it a hobby. They had been working on that couple for a long time. They really think they are being funny.

posted on Jun, 12 2013 @ 04:01 PM
link   

Originally posted by spirited75

Originally posted by AGWskeptic
...crappy chemical dependency counselors.

P 1,966 F 201 S 2,891 W 23 K 23
I am new here.
I see that you have 1966 posts and 2891 stars and 201 flags.
Can you provide some proof that addicted counselors relapse with a higher frequency than non counselors.
edit on 8-6-2013 by spirited75 because: than non counselors.

capiche?
edit on 8-6-2013 by spirited75 because: capiche?

Personal experience.

I worked as the RN for a few different CD programs over a ten year period, and the staff relapsed more often than the patients.

I can remember 3 or 4 patients coming back through the program, but we had at least 3 staff relapses per year.

It would have been funny if t wasn't so tragic.

But this is Minnesota, Land of 10,000 CD treatment centers.

Does that mean that all CD counselors will relapse, of course not, just that they do relapse often.
edit on 12-6-2013 by AGWskeptic because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 12 2013 @ 04:13 PM
link   

Do you think the fact that therapists have a higher rate of depression plays into this? I'm wondering of the nature of the job creates depressed therapists, rather than depressed individuals become therapists (although that makes sense too).

posted on Jun, 12 2013 @ 04:48 PM
link   

Originally posted by smyleegrl

Do you think the fact that therapists have a higher rate of depression plays into this? I'm wondering of the nature of the job creates depressed therapists, rather than depressed individuals become therapists (although that makes sense too).

I think they choose the job because of their metal health issues, not that they have MH issues due to the work.

In hospitals when a healthy person is infected by another patient we call that a nosocomial infection, or hospital acquired infection. I suppose being exposed to mentally ill people every day doesn't help, but I don't think they are "going native". I think they were native going in.

We used to joke about getting a mental illness from the patients, but that was just a funny take on the whole nosocomial thing,
edit on 12-6-2013 by AGWskeptic because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

<< 2  3  4   >>

join