It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Strange aircraft UAV?

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 18 2013 @ 05:47 PM
link   
reply to post by waynos

The SCOTTY Group that the aircraft was registered to in Austria has tested both radar, and Ku-Band SATCOM on that aircraft as well.

posted on Jun, 18 2013 @ 06:02 PM
link   
reply to post by Zaphod58

Interesting, thanks. Also interesting is that my image searches are pulling up pictures of that plane in an earlier white scheme but not the current 'military' grey. Could that be significant or just me reaching?

posted on Jun, 18 2013 @ 06:11 PM
link   
reply to post by waynos

At one point it was painted in military colors apparently. One of the articles I found about them transferring the registration from Austria to Great Britain mentioned that they had repainted them.

When it was first purchased, G-DMPP was OE-FAI, registered with the SCOTTY Group in Austria, with OE-FVA. When they were moved to the UK, they became G-DMPP and G-DSPY, with DEA. They had their military markings removed, to allow covert missions to be performed with both airframes.

DEA's two DA42MPPs have been successfully moved from the Austrian register to the British register. OE-FAI and OE-FVA now become G-DMPP and G-DSPY.
In addition the two aircraft have been 'normalised' with the rest of the DEA fleet with matching blue and silver accents having had their military decals removed. This reduces their obvious paramiltary context and assists in covert operations
To the untrained observer the DA42MPPs operated by DEA appear as 'normal' DA42s, this allows them to operate in a variety of circumstances where covert capablities are 'helpful' eg observation of criminal suspects, loitering in areas where people may be antcipated to commit various forms of theft or acts of vandalism.

The low noise footprint and long loiter times are in marked contrast to helicopters which often allow criminal behaviour to evade detection or cease before evidence can be captured.

The operaqting costs of the DA42MPP are 5-10 times less than a turbine helicopter as is the carbon footprint. The noise footprint is orders of magntude less than that of a helicopter!

www.diamond-executive.aero...

posted on Jun, 18 2013 @ 06:20 PM
link   
reply to post by Zaphod58

Hmmm, that would be the white scheme on the photos from the sound of it, but now this one at least appears to be grey again.

posted on Jun, 18 2013 @ 06:23 PM
link   
reply to post by waynos

They may have changed it to grey when they were doing tests for the MoD.

posted on Jun, 19 2013 @ 05:22 AM
link   
reply to post by waynos

Thanks for all the replies.
That picture you posted Waynos is not the exact plane as this one I think is either solid white or solid grey, I did look through some naff foggy binoculars...

I think the aircraft in question was being used in training as being an AWACS.
Apparently there is was a big exercise that day with aircraft from at least 4 RAF bases in the UK.

I'm now wondering if the first day I posted in this thread if the first aircraft I saw was much much smaller as it seemed to be really affected by the wind.

I've borrowed a camera in anticipation.

I'll keep you guys updated
Thanks

edit on 19-6-2013 by Markive because: The usual spelling...

posted on Jun, 19 2013 @ 09:19 AM
link   
Hey all
Is this one of those Diamond Twinstar aircraft?

The Camera is awesome, i'm saving up.

posted on Jun, 19 2013 @ 09:24 AM
link   
Yep, that's a Twinstar!

I've always liked them since I first saw one a few years ago. Very distinctive looking and the cabin is rather a plush and nice place to be in I'd imagine!

new topics

top topics

<< 1   >>

join