It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Sebelius Won't intervene in Dying girl's Transplant case

page: 3
<< 1  2   >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 6 2013 @ 10:28 AM
link   
reply to post by newcovenant

I don't see why the vitriol? If she had made a swift decision, people awaiting transplants, and whomever was bumped, (or their families) might have sued that department for lose of life.

It is because people keep insisting that this about cutting into the donor line before other people. That's wrong because she just wanted in line and instead of changing the rule to fit the current technology they just put her in the line in front of other people just to stop the court case from going through.

posted on Jun, 6 2013 @ 10:36 AM
link   

Originally posted by deadeyedick

I don't see why the vitriol? If she had made a swift decision, people awaiting transplants, and whomever was bumped, (or their families) might have sued that department for lose of life.

It is because people keep insisting that this about cutting into the donor line before other people. That's wrong because she just wanted in line and instead of changing the rule to fit the current technology they just put her in the line in front of other people just to stop the court case from going through.

The decision to give an adult lung to a child is a medical and not a political decision.

posted on Jun, 6 2013 @ 10:53 AM
link   

LOL We have laws that govern the medical industry. If all the doctors agree that adult lungs can be successfully transplanted into a person under 12 now than the law is outdated and needs to be updated. That is all this was about. If the law is changed then the system in place can reflect our abilities.The fact that she is now on the list only proves that it is a viable option now to reduce the age of lung recipients.
edit on 6-6-2013 by deadeyedick because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 6 2013 @ 10:56 AM
link   

Originally posted by Maluhia
reply to post by Wrabbit2000

There are many others who won't get this special consideration

I'm wondering why you see this as special consideration because the rule right now prohibits children under 12 from receiving adult lungs period. She is not asking to jump ahead of others - just to widen the scope of donors available to her.

You don't see an issue with directly petitioning the top leadership of the United States Government for a change of medical status to one 10 year old girl? Again, if this girl's name was Jenna Bush or Chelsea Clinton at a younger point in their lives ...would it be seen as equally blind and without special consideration? I absolutely don't believe that would be the case.

I have to repeat what I started with ...I don't fault the parents. I'd do the very same in their position. I do question the response though and I condemn the media making it a tear jerker of an issue for social activism as only the media can manage on some things.

@ Comments about missing the point

I'd actually read about this pretty extensively yesterday and seriously considered making a long and in-depth thread about it myself, prior to this one being posted. I chose, wisely as it seems, to leave this windmill for others to tilt at, as I figured what the response would be if I'd taken the tack as an OP that I have in reply. I may have missed some other people's interpretation of what this is about and my own may differ....but I've read a whole lot more on this case than just what this thread links to or contains and my opinions are formed from a wide range of information relating to this subject. Assuming otherwise is a bad position to take with anyone.

posted on Jun, 6 2013 @ 10:58 AM
link   

You don't see an issue with directly petitioning the top leadership of the United States Government for a change of medical status to one 10 year old girl?
I don't get why you keep spreading that lie. The parents filed a suit to change a law that effects everyone under 12 not just one 10 y.o. They even stated that to the press along with the fact that they knew more than likely their daughter would not be saved.

posted on Jun, 6 2013 @ 11:10 AM
link   
To 1 a GLOBAL organ data base could be designed and worked from...

Some in the areas they think are dark or unseen already do it in human trafficking??? parts and all some of the most human nefarious... can get what they need in the current old world.. YET this child suffers and many others... Guess even the nefarious of EA*RTH would label some pirates or even worst demonic for interfering with the elitist ways why forgetting their deeds... OT

But yes a global data base networked overseen W.H.O as well as advanced global organ designing facilities... 1 just wishes all dealing with transplant issues the best.

NAMASTE*******

posted on Jun, 6 2013 @ 11:21 AM
link   

You don't see an issue with directly petitioning the top leadership of the United States Government for a change of medical status to one 10 year old girl?

But, the parents are saying this law is unfair to all children - they want it changed for all. Yes petitioning the government was the route they chose and it may end up benefitting their daughter - you said yourself you would do whatever you could for your child, so are they. They saw the rule as unfair and sought to have it changed.

I apologize if you believe I'm coming across as argumentative or obtuse, or condescending - that is not the tone behind my written words. I am just trying to understand why you see it the way you do.

I think at the very least it put the issue of rule change on the table and maybe some kids will benefit in the future because of it.

posted on Jun, 6 2013 @ 03:11 PM
link   
I'm confused. Isn't Cystic Fibrosis an uncurable 100% fatal disease? I mean I know the death part doesn't happen right away and they usually make it to their early twenties. But...why would someone with a death sentence hanging over them be eligible for an organ transplant that could actually save someone who could live a full life?

I don't mean to sound heartless. It's awful what this poor girl is going through. But, this also seems heartless to those who could live full productive lives if they received that lung.
edit on 6/6/13 by Malynn because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 6 2013 @ 05:57 PM
link   

Originally posted by deadeyedick

I don't get why you keep spreading that lie. The parents filed a suit to change a law that effects everyone under 12 not just one 10 y.o. They even stated that to the press along with the fact that they knew more than likely their daughter would not be saved.

Well, I don't want to belabor this or make a long thing that gets anything like personal. No topic is really worth that for overall discussion. However, my impressions and opinions for how I interpret what is happening in this case is largely due to how it has been portrayed and presented by not only the media, but by the US Government, within which, this has caused no small degree of overall trouble.

Sarah Murnaghan lung transplant case: Sebelius ordered to make exception on transplant

That is, of course, one of the Cabinet officials of the Obama administration the headline refers to being outright ordered to make an exception for, personally, in the case of the little girl the story is about. I don't feel like I'm misrepresenting anything or 'lying' to have the interpretation and perception I do on it. It's the same perception, apparently, our Secretary of Health and Human Services has on the situation.

Whether we each feel it's right or wrong and for whatever combination of reasons we've each come to that conclusion, both sides are fair and valid as places to view it from, in my opinion.

posted on Jun, 6 2013 @ 06:52 PM
link   

Seems pretty likely to me that the parents found a law that tptb don't want to change. By them choosing to put her on the list it says that they do not want exposure to the suit filed. Maybe there is some reason that is explainable as to why tptb feel that way and the law can be changed to reflect the rational reasoning.

posted on Jun, 7 2013 @ 10:47 PM
link   
reply to post by Maluhia

If Dick Cheney can get a heart transplant then this little girl deserves to get a lung.

posted on Jun, 7 2013 @ 10:51 PM
link   
reply to post by NewAgeMan

Awesome, that wins the argument!

posted on Jun, 7 2013 @ 11:19 PM
link   
i am glad to hear the child will be placed on a 'wait list', kinda.
as a prior transplant donor, it is my intimate knowledge that the whole scam is still a scam.

it is no wonder so many ppl refuse to be donors.

if i do not have a say in who receives my donation, why should i bother ?
and 'altruism' isn't a good answer as the organ belongs to me, no one else.

since the organ belongs to the donor, it should be made available at the (living) donor's discretion (as well as medical compatibility)

per Sebelius' rules ... living donor or not doesn't seem to matter and that is completely wrong, imho.

however, it is not the right of Sebelius' or any other to deny a donation to any person, ever.

anyone who needs, should have no limitations on being able to receive, and that is the bottom line. age discrimination is STILL discrimination, period.

posted on Jun, 8 2013 @ 01:12 AM
link   
2nd child in Philly sues over lung transplant list

PHILADELPHIA (AP) — A second child at a Philadelphia hospital is asking a federal judge to order that he be put on the adult waiting list for a donated lung.

The mother of 11-year-old Javier Acosta filed a lawsuit Thursday that says if he does not get a donated set of lungs soon he will die.

If they don't let this new child be on the list, will that mean his life isn't worth as much as the first girl's? There are reasons they have separate child and adult waiting lists. That judge should have never pushed for the rules to change for one child. What about the rest of them??

posted on Jun, 8 2013 @ 08:16 AM
link   

Originally posted by tport17
2nd child in Philly sues over lung transplant list

PHILADELPHIA (AP) — A second child at a Philadelphia hospital is asking a federal judge to order that he be put on the adult waiting list for a donated lung.

The mother of 11-year-old Javier Acosta filed a lawsuit Thursday that says if he does not get a donated set of lungs soon he will die.

If they don't let this new child be on the list, will that mean his life isn't worth as much as the first girl's? There are reasons they have separate child and adult waiting lists. That judge should have never pushed for the rules to change for one child. What about the rest of them??

This is why the whole scenario is a no win situation.

People lined up and fell for this one innocent girl and seemed to forget the thousands of other children dealing with the same ordeal. When it comes to organ donation you have to put aside your , not you poster, emotional investment and remain purely clinical. It's horrible and it's sad but these lungs would be better served going to someone that is more likely than not going to live another 40-60 years with them vs a young child that maybe lives another 3-5.

top topics

<< 1  2   >>

join