It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Quadcopter control using a noninvasive motor imagery-based brain computer interface

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 5 2013 @ 05:52 PM
link   

Quadcopter control in three-dimensional space using a noninvasive motor imagery-based brain–computer interface

In a jaw-dropping feat of engineering, electronics turn a person's thoughts into commands for a robot. Using a brain-computer interface technology pioneered by University of Minnesota biomedical engineering professor Bin He, several young people have learned to use their thoughts to steer a flying robot around a gym, making it turn, rise, dip, and even sail through a ring.

The technology may someday allow people robbed of speech and mobility by neurodegenerative diseases to regain function by controlling artificial limbs, wheelchairs, or other devices. And it's completely noninvasive: Brain waves (EEG) are picked up by the electrodes of an EEG cap on the scalp, not a chip implanted in the brain.

A report on the technology has been published in the Journal of Neural Engineering. Link

"My entire career is to push for noninvasive 3-D brain-computer interfaces, or BCI," says He, a faculty member in the College of Science and Engineering. "[Researchers elsewhere] have used a chip implanted into the brain's motor cortex to drive movement of a cursor [across a screen] or a robotic arm. But here we have proof that a noninvasive BCI from a scalp EEG can do as well as an invasive chip."

The brain map showed that imagining making fists—with one hand or the other or both—produced the most easily distinguished signals.

"We were the first to use both functional MRI and EEG imaging to map where in the brain neurons are activated when you imagine movements," he says. "So now we know where the signals will come from."

Promising technology and another step forward to a bright transhumanist future.
edit on 5-6-2013 by Clairaudience because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 5 2013 @ 05:54 PM
link   

posted on Jun, 5 2013 @ 05:56 PM
link   
reply to post by alfa1

Two threads on any given topic are allowed.

posted on Jun, 5 2013 @ 06:02 PM
link   

The development of BCIs is aimed at providing users with the ability to communicate with the external world through the modulation of thought. Such a task is achieved through a closed loop of sensing, processing and actuation. Bioelectric signals are sensed and digitized before being passed to a computer system. The computer then interprets fluctuations in the signals through an understanding of the underlying neurophysiology, in order to discern user intent from the changing signal. The final step is the actuation of this intent, in which it is translated into specific commands for a computer or robotic system to execute. The user can then receive feedback in order to adjust his or her thoughts, and then generates new and adapted signals for the BCI system to interpret.

I encourage everyone to read the article posted on the Journal of Neural Engineering, it's an interesting read: LINK
edit on 5-6-2013 by Clairaudience because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 5 2013 @ 06:30 PM
link   

Originally posted by Clairaudience
Two threads on any given topic are allowed.

Fair enough.
I merely thought you hadnt seen the first one because you were busy typing up yours at the time the first one was posted.

And... I also thought the rule about two threads was that one is for "Breaking News", as opposed to the same forum within minutes.

posted on Jun, 5 2013 @ 06:32 PM
link   
reply to post by Clairaudience

I think its 1 thread in breaking alternative news and 1 in another forum , but who's counting

posted on Jun, 5 2013 @ 11:04 PM
link   
reply to post by Clairaudience

Excellent find. Where can I get one of those hats?

new topics

join