It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

New York Bill: "ANNOY" a cop, get 4 years in prison.

page: 5
<< 2  3  4    6  7  8 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 6 2013 @ 02:14 PM
link   
I'm speechless.
Which is probably the only way in NY to not get arrested!
edit on 6-6-2013 by Asktheanimals because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 6 2013 @ 02:50 PM
link   

Originally posted by DrEugeneFixer
reply to post by gladtobehere

22 flags 3 pages of comments and nobody read the bill. This thread is a prime example of why some people should not be allowed to vote.

A PERSON IS GUILTY OF AGGRAVATED HARASSMENT OF A POLICE OFFICER OR PEACE OFFICER WHEN, WITH THE INTENT TO HARASS, ANNOY, THREATEN OR ALARM A PERSON WHOM HE OR SHE KNOWS OR REASONABLY SHOULD KNOW TO BE A POLICE OFFICER OR PEACE OFFICER ENGAGED IN THE COURSE OF PERFORMING HIS OR HER OFFICIAL DUTIES, HE OR SHE STRIKES, SHOVES, KICKS OR OTHERWISE SUBJECTS SUCH PERSON TO PHYSICAL CONTACT.

The plain text of the law makes clear that this law only applies to a person who, 'strikes, shoves, kicks, or otherwise subjects (a police officer) to physical contact. Everyone who posted without reading the text of the bill, which OP did have the courtesy to link to, should recall the motto of ATS and deny ignorance.

...and people are still NOT reading the actual content a page or two later...

Amazing, isn't it?

posted on Jun, 6 2013 @ 02:59 PM
link   
reply to post by buddhasystem

The reason you are not getting a serious reply is because WITH THE INTENT TO HARASS, ANNOY, THREATEN OR ALARM A PERSON WHOM HE OR SHE KNOWS OR REASONABLY SHOULD KNOW TO BE A POLICE OFFICER OR PEACE OFFICER ENGAGED IN THE COURSE OF PERFORMING HIS OR HER OFFICIAL DUTIES, HE OR SHE STRIKES, SHOVES, KICKS OR OTHERWISE SUBJECTS SUCH PERSON TO PHYSICAL CONTACT. is too vague to even be considered as an issue for a penalty at per choice of the police officer or peace officers to consider when and what part of this reason apply.

Too vague, my dear, too vague, what is considered an intent? what is to annoy? what is to threaten or alarm? as usual it gives too many liberties to the Police to work with, NY is nothing but an already established and working police state.

Police have more liberties than the tax payers citizens in NY, only those with power and money get away with any of this moronic laws.

posted on Jun, 6 2013 @ 03:10 PM
link   

120.08 Assault on a peace officer, police officer, fireman or
emergency medical services professional.

A person is guilty of assault on a peace officer, police officer,
fireman or emergency medical services professional when, with intent to
prevent a peace officer, police officer, a fireman, including a fireman
acting as a paramedic or emergency medical technician administering
first aid in the course of performance of duty as such fireman, or an
emergency medical service paramedic or emergency medical service
technician, from performing a lawful duty, he causes serious physical
injury to such peace officer, police officer, fireman, paramedic or
technician.

Assault on a peace officer, police officer, fireman or emergency
medical services professional is a class C felony.

law.onecle.com...

So there is law if a person causes serious injury. I guess will now cover physical contact without serious injury.

posted on Jun, 6 2013 @ 03:53 PM
link   
Can we follow this up with a " we can boot someone in government out of office if they annoy the people" bill??
edit on 6-6-2013 by votan because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 6 2013 @ 04:04 PM
link   
First.. I LIVE in NY and I'm surprised that ATS is the first place I learned of this.

Second.. to the poster saying no one actually read the bill.... since when do police follow the law to the letter?

I've seen cops arrest people for assault simply for accidentally bumping into them. This new "law" just makes it all the more easy for cops to arrest people. Why? I guarantee if someone was able to dig deeper into this, and look at the people involved, they would find ties to corporations running private prisons. In fact, I will look myself.. and I'll bet sure enough I find some sort of ties.

This is tantamount to cops yelling "stop resisting" while they beat the hell out of you. Someone will be filming a cop doing something, all the cop has to do is brush up against them and low and behold... assault on a police officer.

What the hell is going on here. Cops used to be PEACE OFFICERS. My dad was a cop for 25 years and I always wanted to be one. Until HE told me how utterly corrupt being a cop makes you. I'm really sick and tired of the bull$h#@ that is going on in NYS. First you got Billionaire Bloomberg tossing around his money to get anything and everything he wants.. including buying a third term... and now you got this crap.

I swear, between the federal, and the state governments... its as if they are BEGGING for a revolution.

posted on Jun, 6 2013 @ 04:16 PM
link   

Originally posted by loveguy
reply to post by LastStarfighter

It started with 9/11 when they started to militarize the cops. At the time it sounded good. As time went on all the kids growing up playing first person shooter games who were very young when 9/11 happened got all excieted about doing it in real life and decided to join DHS, the military, the police or some job where you can have a gun a shoot a "bad" people. Additionally they figured out that they could bully people with impunity by having NY pass a law against bullying cops.

Yeah,
policy has gone from one end of the spectrum to the other hasn't it?

Peace officers used to join-in on a friendly game of handball, now we're all trespassing because the park is closed after 10pm...

I think Peace officers only exist in junior high school now, they are resource officers

posted on Jun, 6 2013 @ 04:16 PM
link   
reply to post by DerekJR321

Pretty much .
Cops lie ,period .
I was born here ,and I'm thinking its seriously time to get out of the country ,not just the city .

posted on Jun, 6 2013 @ 04:28 PM
link   
reply to post by LastStarfighter

Check this list of police and peace officers.

Do not bump into the dog catcher.

edit on 6/6/2013 by roadgravel because: typo

posted on Jun, 6 2013 @ 04:35 PM
link   
Hey guys ! You should all come live in Canada, its next door, really... !

posted on Jun, 6 2013 @ 04:39 PM
link   
This is just ADDITIONAL charges they could put on you if you were involved with a protest. Most cops think protesters are "annoying", so if during a protest you bump into a cop who is in the middle of the hustle bustle, that is considered "assault" or "striking" an officer. So 1) You get charged with assault and 2) you also get charged with this new crime of "aggravated" annoyance assault.

They can already charge you with 2 crimes during any physical contact: 1) Assault 2)Resisting arrest (defacto charge now days)

This is a third charge that a cop can drop at any time he/she finds you "annoying", which is just about everybody and anybody.

edit on 6/6/2013 by Cryptonomicon because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 6 2013 @ 04:43 PM
link   
I seriously thought this type stuff was covered by the law like obstruction of justice or assaulting a police officer.
I just don't see any need for the annoy part here. I can give a crap on if any cop is annoyed doing their job they should be able to take it.
Where is the law that you need to be a threat to get stunned or shot for us the people.
And cops also are well known for being annoying. It's a two way street here that needs fixed for both sides.

Never liked New York and it just keeps getting easier.

posted on Jun, 6 2013 @ 05:11 PM
link   

Originally posted by seabag

10th amendment gone awry!

Too bad they don’t allow laws against stuff that annoys New Yorkers.

Oh, boy. I love it. Those guys realize they bought illegal oversize soft drinks, huh?

Got to love the drones.

Welcome to the new U.S.of.A.

posted on Jun, 6 2013 @ 05:25 PM
link   
reply to post by Asktheanimals

On second thought I guess they could arrest you for non-compliance for not answering a cop's question.
Let's just call this the Arrest you for no good reason at all bill.
I think I know what it's all about -
Revenue.
edit on 6-6-2013 by Asktheanimals because: added comment

posted on Jun, 6 2013 @ 06:25 PM
link   

Originally posted by Asktheanimals
I'm speechless.
Which is probably the only way in NY to not get arrested!
edit on 6-6-2013 by Asktheanimals because: (no reason given)

Unfortunately your silence is deafening, and thus annoying to police. Enjoy your upcoming Felony conviction. On the plus side, at least NYS will be able to hire more prison guards.

posted on Jun, 6 2013 @ 06:31 PM
link   

Originally posted by PtolemyII
reply to post by DerekJR321

Pretty much .
Cops lie ,period .
I was born here ,and I'm thinking its seriously time to get out of the country ,not just the city .

I honestly never thought I'd find myself thinking this way, let alone expressing the thoughts...even to myself, but I may agree with you on that last part.

If not for family in both close and extended lines that depend on life giving medical care they get here? I may very well be looking at other options after I graduate University. The skills and degree line I am pursuing is a universal one for global demand and I wouldn't have much trouble finding well paid work in almost any developed nation in the world when I'm complete with my studies. If, by fate and sheer passage of time, I find myself alone in those terms? I may just relocate as an American Ex-Pat to a more....welcoming nation. Perhaps, as some have suggested, something in Oceania. There are some true paradise spots down there to an American's perspective of life. I can think of worse places to live out my years.

posted on Jun, 6 2013 @ 06:37 PM
link   
I wonder if this bill has anything to do with attempting to protect citizens from "'roid rage".

2nd.

posted on Jun, 6 2013 @ 06:41 PM
link   

Annoy a police officer can also be interpreted as video taping them during an arrest. How convenient, now if they don't want their brutal arrests being recorded, they can claim that the person video taping them was annoying. Why do we allow elected officials to even entertain creating bills like this, that only allow police officers the means to cover-up their own criminal activities?

posted on Jun, 6 2013 @ 06:47 PM
link   
its hilarious because new yorkers deserve what they get, just as the Brits get what they deserve

where i'm from lawdogs dont go around here..

posted on Jun, 6 2013 @ 07:16 PM
link   
reply to post by SPECULUM

As a new yorker ,I resent that . We HATE bloomberg,and none of us voted for him . His rich pals put him in office ,not the working class. He's RUINED this city . He is despised here. Get over yourself

top topics

<< 2  3  4    6  7  8 >>

join