It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Stephen Fry Reveals he Attempted Suicide in 2012

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 5 2013 @ 01:29 PM
link   
I'm sure many people know who Stephen Fry is and some if not most know of his ongoing battle with depression a battle that nearly ended last year .
In an interview with Richard Herring Stephen has revealed that whilst filming on location last year he " took a huge number of pills and a huge [amount] of vodka." when alone in his hotel room , thankfully the producer he was filming with went into his room and found him in an unconscious state and raised the alarm .

Stephen Fry is an incredibly talented actor and comedian and somewhat of a national treasure over here in the UK , the thought of him committing suicide or at least trying to is very saddening to me and I suspect many .
Stephen is the president of the mental health charity, Mind and has told his story to raise awareness of depression and mental health issues , something I know a few members of this forum including myself know about first hand .

Stephen Fry has revealed he had to be brought back to the UK to be "looked after" last year after attempting suicide while filming abroad.
In an interview for Richard Herring's Leicester Square Theatre Podcast, Fry said: "I took a huge number of pills and a huge [amount] of vodka."
The actor revealed his producer found him in an "unconscious state".
Fry, who has bipolar disorder, has discussed his struggle with mental health issues in the past.

Fry told the audience that in light of his role as president of the mental health charity, Mind, he wanted to be open about his feelings.
"The whole point in my role, as I see it, is not to be shy and forthcoming about the morbidity and genuine nature of the likelihood of death amongst people certain mood disorders."
He said there is "no reason" for someone wanting to take their own life.
"There is no 'why', it's not the right question. There's no reason. If there were a reason for it, you could reason someone out of it, and you could tell them why they shouldn't take their own life," he said.

The actor and comedian attempted suicide after walking out of the West End play Cell Mates in 1995 - an event he recounted in a documentary for BBC Two called The Secret Life of the Manic Depressive.
www.bbc.co.uk...

Be well Stephen

edit on 5-6-2013 by gortex because: Edit to add

posted on Jun, 5 2013 @ 02:02 PM
link   
I have always liked stephen.
It would have been a shame to have lost him.

posted on Jun, 5 2013 @ 03:03 PM
link   
reply to post by gortex

Then he should step down until he's a lot better and focus on himself, flip the last thing you want to hear is of a person wanting to end it all when you no that person has it all and your feeling like crap, makes me mad hay.

posted on Jun, 5 2013 @ 03:45 PM
link   
reply to post by ballymoney50

Totally agree. The usual cliche "they had everything to live for." When they have plenty of fame and fortune as well, can be very annoying to other sufferers. Main causes of depression is financial struggle and feelings of worthlessness in society. I say get a grip Stephen Fryrude remark snipped by admin
edit on 6-6-2013 by Byrd because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 5 2013 @ 03:55 PM
link   
reply to post by gortex

I don't hold Mr. Frye in high regard as an entertainer, but he is a human being and I hate to see him suffer. I have always seen something in his eyes that suggest nothing on this earth is enough to sustain him. Be it wealth, friends, career...he takes no pleasure in anything. He has to pretend to enjoy the good things in life. I feel his loneliness and can only hope that the field of medicine can one day find some relief for people like him.

posted on Jun, 5 2013 @ 06:45 PM
link   
reply to post by gortex

aww I am very sad to hear this

I think he is one of the most charming, intelligent people on TV today, plus I absolutely love QI. He is one of my dream dinner guests.

Great man.

posted on Jun, 5 2013 @ 10:01 PM
link   
Great Author as well, "The Hippopotamus" was one of my favorites.

posted on Jun, 6 2013 @ 04:35 AM
link   
Just goes to show that it doesn't matter who you are, what you have, or how clever and famous you are, depression is the same for all people the world over.....

I have suffered with depression for many years due to a health condition called Acromegaly. When the words kill yourself, kill yourself, and thoughts of death being the only idea's that keeps ringing through your head. When the crying never stops, plus the anguish, frustration, blackness and negativity, and the constant hurt of banging your head against a wall to try and stop it, it is so hard to keep going and I can fully understand why people end their lives just to turn off the crap inside their head.....

Obviously I am still here, but who knows how bad tomorrow is going to be. You just never know if the following day is gonna be a positive or a negative one, it is totally out of my control...

Here's wishing Stephen Fry all the best for the future, as well as all the other depression sufferers out there in the world......

posted on Jun, 6 2013 @ 04:46 AM
link   
reply to post by davethebear

Thanks for the contribution Dave glad to see you here

I agree when the darkness comes we are all at its mercy regardless of who you are or what you have .

posted on Jun, 6 2013 @ 05:21 AM
link   
I adore him . It would have been horrible to read the Heath Ledger headline for him too .

posted on Jun, 6 2013 @ 05:25 AM
link   

posted on Jun, 6 2013 @ 10:39 AM
link   
reply to post by Johnny76

My last post was deleted i guess I was a bit out of order sorry if i offended. Basically I was trying to vent my frustration of having to accept Stephen Fry's remarks about herosexual relationships. He is gay. As a society we accept that don't we?

posted on Jun, 6 2013 @ 10:59 AM
link   
reply to post by Johnny76

I was trying to vent my frustration of having to accept Stephen Fry's remarks about herosexual relationships. He is gay. As a society we accept that don't we?

What is your problem ? this thread isn't about his sexuality its about his illness something else it seems you feel worthy of mockery .... get over it and move on

posted on Jun, 6 2013 @ 11:30 AM
link   
reply to post by gortex

My problem is he claims to be an expert at human relations and makes a mockery of other peoples sexuality. How dare he expect any sympathy from the world. He has plenty of money for medical professionals to help treat his illness.

Of course, in such a PC society I am not allowed to say anything about his downright digusting acts of deprivity in public places with his gay friends. Especially in forums about conspiracy theories. Hence the frustration. Now I will move on. Thanks

posted on Jun, 6 2013 @ 12:10 PM
link   
Wish him the best. He's been a huge inspiration to both me and my mother who suffer from some pretty ugly mental illness. His outlook on passing mental states as being "like the weather" has always helped me get through.

posted on Jun, 6 2013 @ 04:31 PM
link   
Hate to say it, but... (warning, graphic description below)

Nobody 'attempts' suicide. They are either tempting fate (out of desperation to know whether they actually need to stay here in this hellish world), or they are crying out for help, or, sadly, whoring for attention. I feel for people with mental illness that drives them to this, but it's not really a suicide 'attempt'.

I know several painless sure bets to end your life. No need for the sloppy booze and pills nonsense. Or the melodrama of slit wrists, or the mess of a shotgun to the head (yeah, I have a distant relative who survived a shotgun-under-the-chin suicide 'attempt' (twitched at the last instant, blew the front of his face off up to his eyes). His life is worse now than it was before, and he still lives, what a dumbass). If you REALLY want to die, you'll find a sure bet.
edit on 6-6-2013 by seamus because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 6 2013 @ 06:30 PM
link   
sending some love to Steve from across the pond.

He's actually the first person I identified with while I'm struggling through my depression/anxiety.

Take care Mistah Fry!

posted on Jun, 6 2013 @ 10:11 PM
link   
reply to post by gortex

Very funny and clever man. Would've missed his shows.

posted on Aug, 9 2013 @ 06:13 PM
link   
Has anyone noticed the sheer amount of upper class public school types:went to boarding school: who try to get sympathy from the masses? I am not saying that it good that he is ill: it isn't. But it does seem strange that there seems to be much less fuss and dignity to be seen in those celebrities that went to state schools. This ridiculous whinging by people who used their illnesses to help their careers and make more money is making me want to throw up.

When was the last time you heard a quadruple amputee complain, people with lung cancer, schizophrenics?? No because they show dignity. It is almost as bad as Ruby Wax droning on about being ill. Although not so ill she cannot milk it for all it's worth. Does anyone think she would still be touring otherwise??????
I'll answer that myself, NO.
edit on 9-8-2013 by werewolf99 because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

join