It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Indian Girl wears Eagle Feather to graduation---fined $1000

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 5 2013 @ 01:02 PM
link   
reply to post by Kgnow

I suspect they would have fined Jews and Muslims too, but it's a moot point, because nobody else probably broke the rule.

Certainly if one person gets away with it then everybody should, and if they indeed allowed other faiths to stick things to their hats (or wear other headgear) then it would be a case of racism and discrimination.

As long as the rule is consistent for all it is not discrimination.

posted on Jun, 5 2013 @ 01:23 PM
link   
She was wrong to wear it, doesn't matter why she wanted to or what it was. They have the rule in place so that each student graduating doesn't completely redo the getup to the point where the graduation ceremony is reminiscent of a rainbow.

So no, religious freedom won't work in this case.

posted on Jun, 5 2013 @ 02:14 PM
link   

Originally posted by Benevolent Heretic
I don't agree with how schools suppress expression at all. But it wasn't because it was an eagle feather. If she had hung a number 2 pencil from her hat, the same thing would have happened. It's a dress code violation in a private school...

Escambia’s dress code prohibits “extraneous items during graduation exercises unless approved by the administration.”

I get that BUT.. is it normal to fine 1000 dollars and withhold a diploma for a DRESS CODE VIOLATION?

I think not. The school would have to prove they legally gave this type of fine before and this action isn't just another form of racism.

posted on Jun, 5 2013 @ 02:19 PM
link   

Originally posted by Murgatroid
Historically, discrimination against Native Americans is the longest held racism in the USA.

It dates all the way back to the pilgrims invasion of the continent.

Nothing is new under the sun...

The headmaster and a teacher are also among the victims in this.

Ramer said Warren (headmaster) did not pull her from the field, but the next time Ramer went to Warren’s office it was empty. “I went in to talk to her and noticed her office was cleared out,” she said. “I asked where she was and she said Mrs. Warren had been fired and Mr. Walker would be the new headmaster.”

www.atmoreadvance.com...

Betty Warren, the headmaster who denied Ramer’s request, has reportedly been replaced by David Walker, who coaches the girls' basketball team.

“He said if it was up to him, he would give me my diploma,” Ramer said. “But he had to go through the board to get it approved.”

Ramer's former teacher, Alex Alvarez, said "Being honored with a feather for graduation is a wonderful experience. It's a lot more than showing off your culture. It has ties into our spirituality as well."

www.opposingviews.com...

Alex Alvarez, who is Creek, a former teacher of Ramer’s said parents and tribal council members had requested to speak with the school board to discuss the eagle feather but were denied. He wrote about the issue in his local newspaper, but the school did not change its position.

www.upi.com...

I'd say it was more an issue of rabid environmentalism.

posted on Jun, 5 2013 @ 04:19 PM
link   

As an Indian, she apparently is legally able to have an eagle feather. The fine was from the school!

She is from INDIA? Really? And how does anyone from INDIA get to wear a feather of our National Bird?
edit on 5-6-2013 by abeverage because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 5 2013 @ 05:20 PM
link   
I'm so tired of this. Everyone and their little special snowflake children. Bah. Just like the chubby girl who is whining that she wasn't allowed in to her prom because of her "full-figure". There are rules in life. There are dress codes in most places where you're going to work. This girl and her parents knew about the dress code during the ceremony, she decided not to sign the agreement stating that she would abide by the rules. Her parents knew that they would be fined $1000 if she did not abide by the rules. They were willing to pay it. She was willing to have her diploma held until it is paid. They made their decision and now have to live with it. Boo hoo so sad. Another surprise for these coddled little dumplings, there are consequences for everything in life. Whether you like it or not.

posted on Jun, 5 2013 @ 05:26 PM
link   

Originally posted by usernameconspiracy

Originally posted by signalfire
Nice lawsuit waiting to happen. How does the school expect to enforce this fine and withholding her transcript? (the diploma is an idiotic piece of paper that no one ever asks for...).

Nobody ever asks for? Well, I have had to provide it more than once. In a few weeks, there will be a job announcement where I work. I plan on putting in for it. The very first thing they will ask for, even though I already work here, is my high school and college transcripts. Sorry, but many corporations require these transcripts.

As for the law suit, it's a private school. They set the rules, you make your choice. In Texas, even if it's public school, there are (and have been since the 1980's) a number of things one can do to get banned from the graduation ceremony.

I have never had to provide a high school transcript for a job. Listing under education as something I have earned, yes, but never 'proof' of graduation. I could see them withholding the transcript so as to make your life miserable, but you can't simply 'not graduate' right?

And I will look into this further. Was it simply an oversight that the student was unaware of? Looks like she did ask permission and it was denied by headmaster Betty Warren; the student made a conscious decision to wear the feather knowing the potential consequences. She should have had no problem getting permission, in my opinion, seeing how harmless it is and it isn't obtrusive so that it's distracting. Makes me wonder on what grounds the now ex-headmaster (Warren) denied the request. That would have been when to start getting the word out about this issue. Not after defying the original decision. Then she could've put the pressure on the school without possibly risking her diploma. But as you said, this is a private school, and I don't have any experience with them, so I'm unsure of what rights she would have under the law in regards to this.

Just my 2 cents
IMO the school sounds like a cranky old lady who finds some by-law in your HOA that prohibits your mailbox being painted a certain color, reports you and you get a fine. All because you had a family bbq last weekend and she thought you were too loud

edit on 6/5/2013 by redNyx because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 5 2013 @ 05:41 PM
link   
reply to post by MuzzleBreak

She's an Indian?

That makes me LOL.

posted on Jun, 6 2013 @ 05:18 AM
link   
Since when are schools handing out "fines"? Seems pretty ridiculous that schools can now hold earned credits for ransom to me.......
edit on Thu, 06 Jun 2013 05:18:24 -0500 by TKDRL because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 6 2013 @ 05:27 AM
link   
reply to post by MuzzleBreak

This is just weird. It is one of those stories that makes me think there must be much more to it - if it is legally ok for her to do it, how can the school slap on the fine? School rules do not supercede the law!

posted on Jun, 6 2013 @ 06:32 AM
link   
Interesting.

A nice countersuit would be $250K for cultural and religious discrimination plus a refund of tuition paid to attend the school (minus the $1000 fine of course) and then comes the emotional damages...

Keep it classy, education system

posted on Jun, 27 2013 @ 07:01 PM
link   

Originally posted by Ahabstar
Interesting.

A nice countersuit would be $250K for cultural and religious discrimination plus a refund of tuition paid to attend the school (minus the $1000 fine of course) and then comes the emotional damages...

Keep it classy, education system

Yep, the impossible code,

escambiaacademy.net...

The Alabama version of St Trinians.

posted on Jun, 27 2013 @ 07:05 PM
link   

Originally posted by Wrabbit2000
Schools have simply become an evil version of Burger King where everything gets done THEIR way.

Obey, Conform and above all else, never express individuality. That is a mortal sin.

Mr. Wrabbit...

Your insight is masterful as always...

Instead of the traditional graduation cap, they can use the paper crowns...

top topics

<< 1   >>

join