It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Indian Girl wears Eagle Feather to graduation---fined $1000

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 5 2013 @ 10:14 AM
link   
shine.yahoo.com...

As an Indian, she apparently is legally able to have an eagle feather. The fine was from the school!

This year, graduation has become a battleground for some school officials and students. With schools tightening restrictions on who gets to walk, seniors are fighting for their rights in the last hours of their high school careers.

Take 17-year-old Chelsey Ramer. Her private school, Escambia Academy, is holding the Alabama grad's diploma and transcripts until she pays a $1,000 fine—all because she hung a lone eagle feather alongside her cap’s tassel during her May 23 commencement ceremony.

Ramer, a member of the Poarch Creak Band of Indians, told Indian Country Today Media that the feather was an important spiritual and cultural symbol of pride, and that she’d decided to wear it even after being warned not to by her then-headmaster, Betty Warren (who has since been replaced, though it’s unclear whether that was related to this incident). Escambia’s dress code prohibits “extraneous items during graduation exercises unless approved by the administration.”

edit on 5-6-2013 by MuzzleBreak because: (no reason given)

edit on Wed Jun 5 2013 by DontTreadOnMe because: Starting a New Thread?...Look Here FirstAboveTopSecret.com takes pride in making every post count. Please do not create minimal posts to start your new thread.If you feel inclined to make the board aware of news, current events, or important information from other sitesplease post one or two paragraphs, a link to the entire story, AND your opinion, twist or take on the news item, as a means to inspire discussion or collaborative research on your subject.

posted on Jun, 5 2013 @ 10:28 AM
link   
My understanding is that all eagle feathers are collected and numbered by the govt. Native Americans must register the feathers first. If you find a dead eagle in the forest, you better fight the urge to take a feather. They will bury you under the federal prison if you get caught. The govt is great at enforcing stupid things, now if they would just do their job when it comes to entitlement abuse, immigration, and upholding the constitution. Concerning the topic at hand, MD schools are suspending kids for using the word gun, biting pop tarts in the form of guns, making hand gestures like guns... School officials stay on power trips.
edit on 5-6-2013 by kingofmd because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 5 2013 @ 10:31 AM
link   
Nice lawsuit waiting to happen. How does the school expect to enforce this fine and withholding her transcript? (the diploma is an idiotic piece of paper that no one ever asks for...).

And how does anyone know if this was an eagle feather or a far more easily found turkey feather? I see turkeys and eagles every day but I've never found an eagle feather, turkey feathers are all over the place...

posted on Jun, 5 2013 @ 10:40 AM
link   

Originally posted by MuzzleBreak
shine.yahoo.com...

As an Indian, she apparently is legally able to have an eagle feather. The fine was from the school!

This year, graduation has become a battleground for some school officials and students. With schools tightening restrictions on who gets to walk, seniors are fighting for their rights in the last hours of their high school careers.

Take 17-year-old Chelsey Ramer. Her private school, Escambia Academy, is holding the Alabama grad's diploma and transcripts until she pays a $1,000 fine—all because she hung a lone eagle feather alongside her cap’s tassel during her May 23 commencement ceremony.

More on Yahoo!: Student Asks for Special Graduation Gift from Taylor Swift

Ramer, a member of the Poarch Creak Band of Indians, told Indian Country Today Media that the feather was an important spiritual and cultural symbol of pride, and that she’d decided to wear it even after being warned not to by her then-headmaster, Betty Warren (who has since been replaced, though it’s unclear whether that was related to this incident). Escambia’s dress code prohibits “extraneous items during graduation exercises unless approved by the administration.”

It wont stick. Religious beliefs. And I thought I was supposed to be insulted by the title of 'indian' over 'native American.'
edit on 5-6-2013 by GoldenRuled because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 5 2013 @ 10:41 AM
link   
Eagle feather or not
The SCHOOLS THE TURKEY!

I have to come back to add the dichotomy here.....
Our kids are told stories of how the Country was butilt by free thinking ruged individuals
The US heroes are so depicted.
But when they attempt to practice this same ethic, they are quickly destroyed by the unforgiving un bending system which stifles theim.
No wonder they are going nuts and shootig up the world...
we are instilling psychosis in them.

edit on 5-6-2013 by stirling because: (no reason given)

edit on 5-6-2013 by stirling because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 5 2013 @ 10:50 AM
link   
Well its a disgrace that the school would do such a thing. Sounds like more stupidity by well paid idiots who are supposed to know what they are doing. But obviously do NOT.

posted on Jun, 5 2013 @ 11:12 AM
link   
Schools have simply become an evil version of Burger King where everything gets done THEIR way.

Obey, Conform and above all else, never express individuality. That is a mortal sin.

posted on Jun, 5 2013 @ 11:20 AM
link   
reply to post by MuzzleBreak

I believe in freedom of expression...and I personally think that fining someone for wearing an eagle feather...is ridiculous!

However...she was warned ahead of time not to wear the feather...and she chose to wear it anyway. So...I am thinking she must of known about the fine ahead of time.

They are holding her diploma and transcripts hostage and for ransom...and that I am against. Is the school that desperate for money!

posted on Jun, 5 2013 @ 11:23 AM
link   
Historically, discrimination against Native Americans is the longest held racism in the USA.

It dates all the way back to the pilgrims invasion of the continent.

Nothing is new under the sun...

The headmaster and a teacher are also among the victims in this.

Ramer said Warren (headmaster) did not pull her from the field, but the next time Ramer went to Warren’s office it was empty. “I went in to talk to her and noticed her office was cleared out,” she said. “I asked where she was and she said Mrs. Warren had been fired and Mr. Walker would be the new headmaster.”

www.atmoreadvance.com...

Betty Warren, the headmaster who denied Ramer’s request, has reportedly been replaced by David Walker, who coaches the girls' basketball team.

“He said if it was up to him, he would give me my diploma,” Ramer said. “But he had to go through the board to get it approved.”

Ramer's former teacher, Alex Alvarez, said "Being honored with a feather for graduation is a wonderful experience. It's a lot more than showing off your culture. It has ties into our spirituality as well."

www.opposingviews.com...

Alex Alvarez, who is Creek, a former teacher of Ramer’s said parents and tribal council members had requested to speak with the school board to discuss the eagle feather but were denied. He wrote about the issue in his local newspaper, but the school did not change its position.

www.upi.com...

posted on Jun, 5 2013 @ 11:31 AM
link   
I don't agree with how schools suppress expression at all. But it wasn't because it was an eagle feather. If she had hung a number 2 pencil from her hat, the same thing would have happened. It's a dress code violation in a private school...

Escambia’s dress code prohibits “extraneous items during graduation exercises unless approved by the administration.”

posted on Jun, 5 2013 @ 11:39 AM
link   
They are Idiots for fining the new graduate. They should also lookinto the Mardi Gras, secret illuminati/filthy rich masquerade and halloween parties while they're at it

posted on Jun, 5 2013 @ 11:57 AM
link   
reply to post by MuzzleBreak

You would not see any fines or actions taken if this was a headdress worn by a Muslim. Simply not right! School should pay this girl 10 X $1,000 fine for harassment.

posted on Jun, 5 2013 @ 11:59 AM
link   

Originally posted by signalfire
Nice lawsuit waiting to happen. How does the school expect to enforce this fine and withholding her transcript? (the diploma is an idiotic piece of paper that no one ever asks for...).

Nobody ever asks for? Well, I have had to provide it more than once. In a few weeks, there will be a job announcement where I work. I plan on putting in for it. The very first thing they will ask for, even though I already work here, is my high school and college transcripts. Sorry, but many corporations require these transcripts.

As for the law suit, it's a private school. They set the rules, you make your choice. In Texas, even if it's public school, there are (and have been since the 1980's) a number of things one can do to get banned from the graduation ceremony.

posted on Jun, 5 2013 @ 12:19 PM
link   

Originally posted by Benevolent Heretic
I don't agree with how schools suppress expression at all. But it wasn't because it was an eagle feather. If she had hung a number 2 pencil from her hat, the same thing would have happened. It's a dress code violation in a private school...

Escambia’s dress code prohibits “extraneous items during graduation exercises unless approved by the administration.”

Agreed on that. She's be doing time in a prison right now if someone had the impression that was an improperly obtained Bald Eagle Feather. It was about conformity and not what she used as a symbol to break it. My Dad had a full Indian Headdress that was almost entirely Eagle feathers and which dated back to his own childhood. Due to the extreme regulations, tracking and reporting requirements in owning pretty much anything from a Bald Eagle, he'd donated it to a Tribe in California where it could be properly restored and cared for by those who would give such a thing the tender loving care it deserves.

I'll always remember that piece...and how much trouble it represented for anyone to have without the Rights of a recognized Tribe to possess.

posted on Jun, 5 2013 @ 12:25 PM
link   
reply to post by Benevolent Heretic

That may be the case but it seems that the administration is going to have their hands full with the ACLU or some similar organization:

Ramer, a member of the Poarch Creak Band of Indians, told Indian Country Today Media that the feather was an important spiritual and cultural symbol of pride, and that she’d decided to wear it even after being warned not to by her then-headmaster, Betty Warren (who has since been replaced, though it’s unclear whether that was related to this incident). Escambia’s dress code prohibits “extraneous items during graduation exercises unless approved by the administration.

So she was warned to not wear it. That means that the administration knew about it and did NOT approve. I hope their law bills are paid up.

posted on Jun, 5 2013 @ 12:31 PM
link   
The hypocrisy of Americas laws and the endangered species scam.

What nobody tells is that now a days the so call clean energy gathering with their wind mills are killing more endangered birds each year than never before including America glorified bold eagle.

Does anybody around here have heard of the wind mills industry getting any fines?

:@ hypocrisy because a girl wear a feather in her hair.
edit on 5-6-2013 by marg6043 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 5 2013 @ 12:43 PM
link   
Reminds me of some cases in South Africa where Rastafarian children, and Indian girls (from India) were banned from schools for growing dreadlocks and wearing nose-piercings.

Since the practices were cultural, the courts always ruled in favor of the kids.

While this case seems excessive and ridiculous, there might be people who would disagree.

If one enters a private school one agrees to stick to their rules, or face the consequences.

Rules should be rules for everybody, and she was warned not to stick anything on her hat.

What if everybody stuck pride tokens or charms to their hats?

Why not gay pride ribbons or rasta beads?

What then about the rights of those students who simply want a professional and normal graduation photo?
It doesn't take long, and afterwards everybody can wear whatever costume they like.

She was warned and broke the rules, and rules are rules.

posted on Jun, 5 2013 @ 12:45 PM
link   
Would they fine a female Muslim graduate for wearing a hijab (hair covering)?

Would they fine a Jewish male for wearing a yamaka or a Muslim male for wearing a kufi?

The decision to withhold the diploma and issue a fine is beyond ludicrous.

Peace.

posted on Jun, 5 2013 @ 12:47 PM
link   

Originally posted by halfoldman
What if everybody stuck pride tokens or charms to their hats?

Why not gay pride ribbons or rasta beads?

Are those items of a spiritual nature?

posted on Jun, 5 2013 @ 12:56 PM
link   
reply to post by intrepid

Arguably yes, they can be, Rastafarianism is a recognized religion and gay spirituality (with various organizations) has been around since the late 1960s.
Those are just examples, one could also stick a cross or a fish to the hat.

If people can break the rules based on spirituality them I suppose female Muslim students can wear the hajib, and dispense with the hat entirely.

top topics

<<   2 >>

join