It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The End of Consumerism?

page: 2
<< 1    3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 5 2013 @ 09:16 AM
link   
reply to post by Tuttle

I will trade you a tank of gas for three chickens- two laying hens and one rooster. I will butcher and fry the rooster and return to you a breast and a drumstick as change, but you will hold no claim on future egg production!

posted on Jun, 5 2013 @ 09:19 AM
link   
reply to post by Tuttle

And you want ME to chill out and lighten up?
Yes, using a chicken for a tank of gas won't work unless the guy who has the gas is also hungry. You have chickens, he has gas. Problem solved.

Glad you get it.

Sarcasm is hard to get over the web without little hints like "/sarcasm" or "jk" or even

I have a great sense of humor - it's just I've noticed your posts in other threads were also quite contrary. If I misread your stance, I apologize.

If we did without "currency" before, we can do it again. Easy peasey.

posted on Jun, 5 2013 @ 09:21 AM
link   
reply to post by littled16

Dammit!, its all about egg futures!, I would have gambled at least 3 of my best shiny shinies I found at the bottom of the river on the price of eggs sky rocketing!.

Oh your a tricksy one you are.

posted on Jun, 5 2013 @ 09:22 AM
link   

Originally posted by jacygirl
Yay indeed!! (lol)
Shamelessly bumping your thread...hoping others will join us here.

You sound like someone I would have as a friend (most of my girlfriends have/had horses too, but that's not the only reason)! I just don't understand selfishness and greed. Even as a small child (an only child)...I would give/share my toys/clothes with friends...it just felt right.

After escaping an abusive marriage....I left with my clothes and very few personal belongings. Today I consider myself a 'minimalist'....because I've truly learned what is important, and it ain't STUFF!

My daughters call me a 'hippy chick' (meant with love)...and I wouldn't want to be a 'material girl' ever.
Your heart is the right place.
jacygirl

I sometimes get called 'hippy chick' lol.

I lost everything when I lost my job, home, car, standard of living etc. I learned to live without 'stuff' and 'things' for years because I couldn't afford them. Nowdays it's a way of life for me, I get by on a tiny amount and my family think I must be miserable because I never have any spare money, but it really doesn't bother me one bit.

I am happy that I am able-bodied, I have sisters, brother, cousins, aunt & uncles, nieces and nephews, I have friends, and I have my dogs, I have my uncomplicated, simple life. All these are my important 'things', all are precious and priceless, and all cost absolutely nothing. I was too busy to appreciate them before I lost my job, because it was more important for me to flog myself to death in the rat-race so I could pay for all the 'stuff' I really didn't need.

Money, and the frantic rat-race/treadmill we have to endure in order to procure it, distracts us from appreciating the priceless things in life which cost nothing.

I realised that since losing everything, my cup is far from empty - it is overflowing.
edit on 5-6-2013 by doobydoll because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 5 2013 @ 09:24 AM
link   
reply to post by Tuttle

While we're on the topic of all things fowl, it is said that it's probably not a good idea to kill the goose that lays the golden eggs. Though, some seem to think they are exempt or immune from this old adage.

posted on Jun, 5 2013 @ 09:25 AM
link   
reply to post by Tuttle

how do you make change out a chicken?

You don't. You get a "chicken's worth of gas", decided before the transaction.

can you put it in the bank?

What bank? No need for a bank. You can put it in a coop, though. Or an oven.

can you tax it?

Well, they accepted chickens for "taxes" in feudal England..."Taxes" were a tenth of the produce of labor.

invoice a chicken?

Invoice a chicken? You mean the "chicken" is now doing business? You send a bill that says "Chicken to be delivered within 90 days, or an additional dozen eggs as well."

whats the interest on the loan of a chicken?, so many eggs a month???

There's no "banking, interest, or taxing" in barter systems. Those are the things that have RUINED the economy, pal.
Yes, it's your RIGHT to be contrary -
:shk:
The point is to GET AWAY FROM CURRENCY AND BANKING, CREDIT AND INTEREST.
edit on 5-6-2013 by wildtimes because: formatting

Glad to see you're being more "fun" now.
Cranky-pants.

edit on 5-6-2013 by wildtimes because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 5 2013 @ 09:28 AM
link   
reply to post by doobydoll

Hey doobydoll/sister hippychick! (lol)
Welcome to this lovely thread....it's getting interesting!
Just don't mention chickens. Or eggs. Or gasoline. (touchy subjects)

jacygirl

posted on Jun, 5 2013 @ 09:30 AM
link   
reply to post by Tuttle

I know it sounded funny (and was intended to be) but it isn't as far fetched as it sounds. Several years back we were hit by a major hurricane and left without electricity for over a month. It took quite a while for supplies to come back into the area for a bit because roads were blocked with trees, power lines, buildings, etc. for hundreds of miles. Until they were able to get in with commercial sized generators to run gas pumps and grocery stores we bartered all sorts of things. I personally traded five gallons of gas for two bags of sugar, a loaf of bread and a six pack of cheap beer. I also traded a bottle of propane for a carton of smokes and twenty pounds of green onion sausage.

posted on Jun, 5 2013 @ 09:30 AM
link   
reply to post by jacygirl

Yeah, tread with care, everyone!!!

There are certain taboo subjects for this one.

posted on Jun, 5 2013 @ 09:34 AM
link   
reply to post by littled16

AWESOME! Great examples. Yeah, we trade stuff here, too, as well as services. And we're just a regular working class neighborhood with a whole bunch of different skill-sets. Within half a mile, we have a rental landlord with every tool imagineable, a fireman raising chickens in his yard, a handy-man, an IT guy, a painter, a lawn-care person, a teacher, a nurse, a veggie farmer, an orchard....
we'll get by if it all goes to hell.

And we know each other.

edit on 5-6-2013 by wildtimes because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 5 2013 @ 09:37 AM
link   

Originally posted by jacygirl
reply to post by Sankari

Sorry, but I disagree.

Well, let's see if you do.

Humans are not born greedy...greed is learned.

I agree. So it turns out we agree after all.

Originally posted by wildtimes
reply to post by Tuttle

Did you stop by just to be contrary?

Same question to Sankari.

Y'all are such pessimists! It CAN work, I don't care what you think about it, really, except that your mentality is doing NOTHING to help.

I'm not a pessimist. Broadly speaking I'm an optimist. But mostly I'm a realist.

Look at the damage humans have caused to this planet. Most of it has been caused by greed in some form or another. No other animal behaves as badly as humans do. You're not going to change that any time soon.

I'm not just being contrary. I'm being realistic. You might think that doesn't help. Personally I believe it does. We can't make this world a better place without realistic expectations and goals.

You and I agree that human beings need to improve. But that's not going to happen without viable alternatives to the current system. Consumerism cannot be abolished without cultural change on a truly epic scale. I consider this unlikely.

posted on Jun, 5 2013 @ 09:41 AM
link   
reply to post by Sankari

Which is why I posted it. It IS a viable alternative, and to many of us it's common sense.
Yes, human greed has despoiled society AND is wreaking havoc on the planet.

That's why some days I HOPE for Wall Street to fall apart, the people make a run on the banks, and it all fails suddenly. We'll see who's left standing - and it won't be the "rich elites". Their heads will explode.
Then we can use their yachts to house homeless people.

posted on Jun, 5 2013 @ 09:50 AM
link   
reply to post by Sankari

Consumerism cannot be abolished without cultural change on a truly epic scale. I consider this unlikely. (your quote)

(my answer) Is it possible to fill a bucket one drip at a time?
Be the change you wish to see.
That is what we are doing. We might be a bunch of drips....but if others start to follow....?
jacygirl

posted on Jun, 5 2013 @ 09:55 AM
link   
reply to post by jacygirl

Depending on the rate you will likely suffer losses due to evaporation but eventually you'll get there.

posted on Jun, 5 2013 @ 10:02 AM
link   
reply to post by KyrieEleison

Is that when a southern gal gets 'the vapors"? lol
Hmmm....suddenly getting a craving for a mint julep.

jacygirl

posted on Jun, 5 2013 @ 10:35 AM
link   

Originally posted by wildtimes
reply to post by Sankari

Which is why I posted it. It IS a viable alternative, and to many of us it's common sense.
Yes, human greed has despoiled society AND is wreaking havoc on the planet.

That's why some days I HOPE for Wall Street to fall apart, the people make a run on the banks, and it all fails suddenly. We'll see who's left standing - and it won't be the "rich elites". Their heads will explode.
Then we can use their yachts to house homeless people.

I often have the same thought as in your post going through my head. When it all goes boobs-up, the people who already have nothing are the ones who really will be valuable to us, because they have the experience to survive on needs instead of luxury and unnecessary 'wants'.

And when the rich have lost everything of material value, maybe they too will find the 'human' in themselves, and realise that the most valuable thing in life, is life, and that it's better to enrich our lives, not live for riches.

posted on Jun, 5 2013 @ 01:53 PM
link   
reply to post by doobydoll

When it all goes boobs-up, the people who already have nothing are the ones who really will be valuable to us, because they have the experience to survive on needs instead of luxury and unnecessary 'wants'.

Yep!
Knowing how to hunt, dress, clean and prepare wild game is a critical skill - so is fishing.
I won't do worms and bugs or cannibalism, though.
Ew.
I'll just graze on grasses and fruits if it comes to that.

posted on Jun, 5 2013 @ 01:57 PM
link   
I think this is great! I do believe there is a healthier form of consumerism however. This hyper-consumerism and disposable designed obsolescence needs to go and NOW!

Greed has caused this and frankly I also hope to see an end to it!

There is no reason, NONE that most products cannot be designed to be recyclable, re-usable, sustaining and last for more than 2 years!
edit on 5-6-2013 by abeverage because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 5 2013 @ 02:02 PM
link   
reply to post by abeverage

RIGHT ON, BROTHER!!!
Yes.
Planned obsolescence has been a HUGE factor (and still is - regarding electronics especially) (and cars) (and homes) (and 'durable goods' like appliances and big furniture).......

sigh.

I really hate it when my electronics become "obsolete" and then I have to go get the 'latest connectivity item' and LEARN IT ALL OVER AGAIN!

How about sustainable PRODUCTS!
I agree with you totally.

~wild

posted on Jun, 5 2013 @ 02:23 PM
link   
reply to post by wildtimes

Okay sorry, I have to play devils advocate here. There is a startling lack of contention.

Barter systems only work in small communities. Do you honestly think New York City could function on a barter system? A city of over 9 million people?

How would a barter system benefit large manufactures? The ones who actually build the equipment we need in a modern society. I doubt that such a system could support the efforts of energy production, or electronics manufacturing.

top topics

<< 1    3  4 >>

join