It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Another drone use: Pizza Delivery?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 5 2013 @ 06:49 AM
link   
Source

Video of the DomiCopter—developed by Aerosight—was posted by T + Biscuits, the creative agency brought in by the pizza chain's U.K. headquarters. The copter reportedly can deliver up to two large pizzas over a four-mile radius in 10 minutes or less.

Ok... legal issues aside for the US (Drones over private property need permission from the owner) is this the future of Pizza Delivery? Seems a bit far fetched but apparently this is very much in the works. DomiCopter is even looking to upgrade their technology to carry 2 two liter bottles of soft drinks as well.

Personally a part of me thinks there is another job sector under attack by automation. There are other thoughts as well. What happens if the drinking age in your state is 21 yet 19 year old college students order a pizza that can record evidence of under age drinking, will the cops show up at their door?

Not to mention, are you supposed to "tip" a drone?

What say you ATS people? Just thought this was an interesting (in good and bad ways) use of drones. What's next?
edit on 5-6-2013 by Terminal1 because: Dastardly typos

posted on Jun, 5 2013 @ 07:04 AM
link   
Here is a video...

posted on Jun, 5 2013 @ 07:29 AM
link   
reply to post by Terminal1

Sounds like win.
edit on 5-6-2013 by Nephalim because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 5 2013 @ 07:45 AM
link   
I think we get all hot a bothered by the word drone. If we called drones what they are, remote controlled devices all that scary goes away. It still requires a human to operate it, saves on gas, is quicker, less cars on the road, less polution, and is safer for the driver. Seems like a lot of wins.

posted on Jun, 5 2013 @ 07:49 AM
link   
reply to post by Nephalim

Yea.. I kinda like the idea and am not so paranoid to not click on "I agree" to having a pizza delivered to my place.

I could actually see the skies almost blacken with drones if other "fast food" gets into this. Take the kids to the park and want a bucket of KFC? Send the coordinates with your smartphone and 10 minutes later here comes a bucket of chicken. Sitting on the riverbank fishing and not having a good day for a fish fry? Keep trying as you send your order for shrimp fried rice.

I do like the idea. Was wondering of other uses and your Fedex/UPS idea was nice. I worry everytime I get a package that the tight turn in the driveway loop will cause the driver to "clip" my garage.

Though I do wonder.. would the drones still have to "follow" the road systems since otherwise they'd have to fly over private property. What if two collide and crash through your big bay window? Homeowner insurance?

posted on Jun, 5 2013 @ 07:50 AM
link   

Never mind tipping the drone, can you imagine trying to dodge payment?

I quite like this idea at the same time as being slightly horrified by it - actually, there you go, a new conspiracy. Drones are driving me Schizophrenic!

posted on Jun, 5 2013 @ 07:54 AM
link   
reply to post by MrSpad

Yea, I agree. The word "drone" sure does have a stigma to it. Changing the name would be a good idea.

On a different thought... wonder how badly UFO sightings would go up? lol

There are a lot of wins to this and I also wonder how long it would take for the "novelty" to wear off.

Now will have to investigate publically traded drone stocks lol

posted on Jun, 5 2013 @ 08:06 AM
link   

Originally posted by Terminal1

Yea.. I kinda like the idea and am not so paranoid to not click on "I agree" to having a pizza delivered to my place.

I could actually see the skies almost blacken with drones if other "fast food" gets into this. Take the kids to the park and want a bucket of KFC? Send the coordinates with your smartphone and 10 minutes later here comes a bucket of chicken. Sitting on the riverbank fishing and not having a good day for a fish fry? Keep trying as you send your order for shrimp fried rice.

I do like the idea. Was wondering of other uses and your Fedex/UPS idea was nice. I worry everytime I get a package that the tight turn in the driveway loop will cause the driver to "clip" my garage.

Though I do wonder.. would the drones still have to "follow" the road systems since otherwise they'd have to fly over private property. What if two collide and crash through your big bay window? Homeowner insurance?

Consent- is a major word here. But do note that the drone came to the edge of the property;didnt violate and the customer met the drone there. (Pretty sure that was intentional show) So again, consent to deliver a good, is way different than say, uhh, hun, wtf is a drone doing on our porch? right. And so we can see a working process of delivery that's actually positive, not involuntarily intrusive. So, yea there's good there for sure.

As for the garage thing and clipping, well thats one of the issues I took into account with the "landing pad". That drone should be no where near your garage if its got a designated landing area and its told to go there.

As for "clutter"; delivery lanes could be designated for this specifically. But also keep in mind pizza delivery and nearly all commercial delivery types have insurable routes. Right, you dont have one pizza hut delivering to the whole of the city, certain locs deliver to certain areas and its possible that this would (at least in theory) eliminate masses of clutter.

posted on Jun, 5 2013 @ 08:20 AM
link   

Originally posted by Flavian

Never mind tipping the drone, can you imagine trying to dodge payment?

I quite like this idea at the same time as being slightly horrified by it - actually, there you go, a new conspiracy. Drones are driving me Schizophrenic!

Id doubt any payment dodging is going to happen. You pay with a debit (prepay) like now, the drone is simply taking the place of the car. Still has an operator too.

Id think the concern is actually, you know, folks damaging the drone in order to take the goods, and possibly scavaging the drones themselves for parts.

posted on Jun, 5 2013 @ 09:04 AM
link   

Was thinking about that from a different angle. If someone were to order pizza delivered to ssay a public park and then stealing the drone. Then I got to thinking if they had to pay by credit/debit card there would be a trail leading to the would be theives/vandals.

I am sure there are ways to work around for someone industrious enough.

I still wonder about insurance though. How can an insurance company determine risks for such a new technological service. It may be too cost prohibitive...

Just a thought

posted on Jun, 5 2013 @ 09:57 AM
link   

Originally posted by Terminal1

Was thinking about that from a different angle. If someone were to order pizza delivered to ssay a public park and then stealing the drone. Then I got to thinking if they had to pay by credit/debit card there would be a trail leading to the would be theives/vandals.

I am sure there are ways to work around for someone industrious enough.

I still wonder about insurance though. How can an insurance company determine risks for such a new technological service. It may be too cost prohibitive...

Just a thought

Yea, editing the reply due the thought of people getting ideas.
edit on 5-6-2013 by Nephalim because: too many nutters out there :/

posted on Jun, 5 2013 @ 10:36 AM
link   

Originally posted by MrSpad
I think we get all hot a bothered by the word drone. If we called drones what they are, remote controlled devices all that scary goes away. It still requires a human to operate it, saves on gas, is quicker, less cars on the road, less polution, and is safer for the driver. Seems like a lot of wins.

Would work just fine in a IDEAL world
I doubt this will be approved
I'm sure the trouble makers are watching this as well. Who's to stop someone from building one, painting one and immitating one only it wont deliver pizza but a big kaboom?

Existing ATS thread BTW

ATS_Thread
edit on 5-6-2013 by hp1229 because: (no reason given)

edit on 5-6-2013 by hp1229 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 5 2013 @ 11:09 AM
link   

posted on Jun, 5 2013 @ 11:09 AM
link   

new topics

top topics

join