It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Calm Centers, Rats, Perfect Moments...

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 4 2013 @ 09:57 PM
link   

From a book I attempted. Anyone got anything to add, for better or for worse?

posted on Jun, 4 2013 @ 09:58 PM
link   
Fourth Animal Dialogue-“Tale of the Mice”

(The imagined adventures of three of the floormice who got out of my old apartment. Time: early November 2007)

Rosemary, Parsley and Alba huddled beneath a tree by the edge of the woods. All were cold, and stayed close together for warmth. It was night, and the early November air was chill and damp-there had been rain during the day and the ground was still wet, adding to the three mice’s misery. “I’m glad I found you two,” said the all white Alba. I have been alone out here just trying to find food. I haven’t seen another mouse since I got out.”
“Well, the human threw us out when he caught us near the males’ cage,” answered Rosemary. Rosemary and Parsley were both grey, and all three mice were females.

“On the subject of food, do you know where any is,” asked Parsley
“Yes, just hang around the backs of the human’s doors. Sometimes I find a morsel or two lying around. But watch out for the cats. They must eat mice, and father told me to watch out for them when he heard I wanted to escape. He had heard about them in the pet store.” Alba was smart for a mouse, and her knowledge had helped her to survive thus far outside the apartment. “There is one cat that follows me around every time I go to the human dwellings to look for food. He has a coat of many colors.” Alba had narrowly escaped being caught by the tortoise shell cat a couple of times, and she was anxious now to save her sisters from a horrible fate. Though the mice could not know it, this cat did not belong to any of the people in the apartments. It had started coming around because several of the residents had given it food and milk, and it stayed around to beg. A few of the male residents called it “#face.”

Alba told her sisters some food could be found in the woods and also that grass seeds were good to eat. All three mice, now that they were together, decided that shelter for the cold night would be a better priority and that food could be left until the morning when the humans started to leave for the day. All were decided against going back into the apartment they had left or been thrown out of. Alba had escaped intentionally, and the two others were not in favor of going back into a place where they were not welcome! The mice found a spot in the brush and made a small burrow underneath some leaves in which to spend the night. The burrow was warm, and all three mice soon went to sleep.

posted on Jun, 4 2013 @ 09:59 PM
link   
When the sun rose in the morning, the mice could hear people getting ready to go to work. “We’ll just wait a little while longer and go try to get some food,” said Alba. “The humans usually go out during the day and return at night. I heard one come out during the night last night with some bags, so maybe we will find something.” The three wandered around a little at the edge of the woods. Rosemary and Parsley found some grass seeds to eat, and gnawed a bit at the leaves. The fare was not as rich as what they had been used to getting in the apartment, but they ate it gratefully now that they were outside. Birds were chirping all around, and a mockingbird landed near and called:
“Silly mice, you should stay hidden. Cats are around, and at night the owls come out to look for dinner! Be careful or you will be caught!” At that, the mockingbird flew away.
“Does he mean that,” asked Parsley. “I don’t want any of us to be eaten!”
“There is always danger out here,” answered Alba, “but stay close to me. There are not many cats, and I have had a few days to get used to them and get to know their habits. As to the owls, that is a big bird that hunts at night. We need to find a safe place to hide when the sun goes down, like the burrow in the leaves. I haven’t seen any owls yet, but the smaller birds told me there are a lot around here. They are sneaky and silent and not to be messed with. Let us hope that we do not meet one!”

The three sisters could now see that most of the humans had left, but the human in the apartment they had once also lived in was moving around inside. They decided not to go in that direction, for Alba had heard the bags being thrown outside somewhat down the lawn from there. The mice went to that apartment and were rewarded by a few pizza crusts and a box with dried pieces of cheese still clinging to it. All ate their fill, and each mouse grabbed a piece of crust to take back to the burrow. Squirrels were out now, and Alba told one of them where the remaining pizza crusts could be had. It was wise to make friends with the other animals, as long as they did not want to eat you! Alba pointed her nose off towards the street, where the tortoise shell cat was prowling.

The mice stashed the food in the burrow, and spent the rest of the day nearby, expanding it and dragging in grass and soft leaves for bedding. When night came, all were sleepy, and they settled in for the night. Around midnight, the mice were awakened by a sound they had not heard before, the “who, who, who” of owls, though they did not know this was what the sound was. They were startled, but not frightened and discussed the matter as the calls continued to ring out in the night. “Do you think we should try to find out what it is?” asked Rosemary.
“I don’t know,” Parsley answered. “We have no idea if they are friendly or not. Maybe they are the owls the bird warned us about.” After some time, as the calls died down, Alba spoke:
“There, they have stopped. I think I will go outside and see what is going on.”
“Are you sure that’s wise, Alba?” Parsley asked. “There are no more of the cries, but we don’t know if the creatures are gone! Shouldn’t I or Rosemary go? We are grey and you are white. If the creatures are owls and are dangerous, they will be able to see you much better than us.” This was true: in any place that is not frozen and cold, white animals, especially prey animals, are at a distinct disadvantage. But Alba would have none of it.
“No, I have more experience out here. Besides, I will only be going out a little way. We need to see if the danger is gone so that we can go back to sleep. I will come right back.” Alba left the burrow, while Rosemary and Parsley pushed their noses right up to the opening, their whiskers twitching.
“Can you see anything, Alba?” Rosemary asked.
“No, they seem to have gone away, whatever they were. I will just come back inside now.” But at that moment, there was a swoop, and Rosemary and Parsley saw a large, dark form fall from the night sky and seize onto Alba, who gave a cry and disappeared.

“Alba, Alba!” Rosemary and Parsley were frantic, but dared not go outside the burrow to see what had become of their sister. They knew now that indeed the cries had been those of owls, which the mockingbird had warned them of, and that Alba was dead. Both wept bitterly and tried to comfort each other, but in nature death is ever-present and even domestic mice know this. The two remaining sisters huddled together for comfort as much as for warmth, and slept fitfully through the rest of the night until the sun rose again.

posted on Jun, 4 2013 @ 10:00 PM
link   
When the day broke, Rosemary and Parsley were sad. Neither had any appetite for the pizza crusts still laying in the burrow, and every time they looked at the one Alba had brought in they thought of her and this made them feel even less like eating. Finally they went outside, licked some dew off the grass, and ate a few seeds. “I sure will miss her,” said Parsley. “She was always the most fun to be around in the human’s home, always the most adventurous and bold. Why, she would even go up to the rat and steal his food!”
“Well, it was her boldness that lost her her life. She never should have gone out to check on those noises until day. Still, just as she said, there is always danger in the wild. We will be hard pressed to make it out here now. Alba knew more tricks than we do since she had been outside for longer.” Rosemary and Parsley crept around a little more, hoping against hope that Alba would come running out of the bushes to greet them. There was no sign of her, though, so the two mice went back into the burrow to rest some more. They had still no appetite and did not feel like going out to add to their food cache. As the day wore on, both could hear the sound of music coming from their old home, but none of the other humans were about. Rosemary and Parsley did go once just to the back of the apartment, and ran back in a fright to some neighboring bushes as they saw the human in the kitchen preparing food. He seemed not to have seen them.
“We are so small compared to them,” Rosemary said, “that they usually only see us when we are up close. Let’s go down the row a little bit. Evening is coming on, and we should try to find some more food so we can get back to the burrow. We do not want to be around for those owls!”
“Or the cats!” The tortoise shell cat was again out by the road, and Parsley did not want to take any chances. The mice found a few scraps, and after feeding, each took as much as they could carry back to the burrow. The sun was now sinking lower, and the two mice went in and prepared for sleep. Sleep came early, just after dark, for the mice were still a little broken up over the loss of their sister and the night was again cold. They slept a dreamless sleep in the end of the burrow, until in the still-dark early hours of the morning Rosemary was awakened by a shuffling outside.
“Wake up, Parsley, wake up; I think I hear one of those cats outside! Get ready to run-if it tries to dig us out we will just have to take our chances.”

“What, I am no cat!” and a large, whiskered nose appeared at the mouth of the burrow. “I am a ‘possum, and I do not eat mice usually; though some ‘possums do. I do not think it would be quite fair in this case, because I know who you are and why you are here. You are the mice that escaped from the human’s apartment. All the animals have been talking about you, especially the mockingbird. He has been calling out all over the neighborhood about how he tried to warn you, and of your sister getting eaten by the owl. We knew it would happen, she was white and shone like a light at night!”
“You say you do not eat mice? So you want to help us then? How do we know you are telling the truth?” Rosemary was still cautious.

The old possum paused. “We know you are not used to living out here so most of us (except for the owls and cats) want to help. Also, I know the human who lives in that apartment over there. He saved my life once!” ‘Possum shuddered and licked his lips; not out of hunger, but as if the story gave him pain to relate. “A few weeks ago, at night when I was looking for food, I was hit by one of the humans’ noisy machines which run on the road. I was not injured badly, but my leg was hurt and I knew I had to get back to the woods before a dog smelled the blood and came around-it might kill me. So I went up the embankment and started making my way back. But my leg was game and I slipped, right into a garbage can and couldn’t get out!” Old ‘possum explained that a garbage can was a place humans threw away things they did not have any further use for into, where they would sit until a large, noisy truck would come and take the cans away once a week. “We ‘possums sometimes like to crawl into them to look for food at night. You see, we are nocturnal, which means we usually only go out at night, and sleep in the day. But this trash can was empty, and with my bad leg there was just no escape. I stayed in there for two days, until the flies came and the smell beginning to get horrible.”
“So what did you do?” asked Parsley

posted on Jun, 4 2013 @ 10:01 PM
link   
“On the afternoon of the second day, the human who used to have you in his apartment came to put out some trash. He saw me, but he wasn’t scared and didn’t look like he wanted to hurt me. He rolled the trash can to the back of his apartment. He gave me some water, and spoke some words which sounded kind. After a while, he came out and checked on me, but I was still too scared to go anywhere. He came once or twice more to the door and after a while, since I could still run (he had put the trash can on its side so I could get out), I leapt out and hightailed it for the woods. He is a nice human, so at least I know if you knew him you must be friends.”

“Well, I’m glad you won’t be eating us, then,” Rosemary said. “That is quite a story. We have had quite a time ourselves since we came out here. Our sister Alba who was eaten by the owl escaped herself, but the human threw me and Parsley out! We know he is kind, though. He just had too many of us mice running around, and one rat. He seems to like all the animals, perhaps even better than other humans!”
“Do you know what we can do to stay safe?” asked Parsley. “We know how to find food, but it scares both of us to be out here since Alba died. We would like to get back inside, but the human would probably only throw us out again.”
“Well, let’s see,” said old ‘possum, “he is not the only human around here, nor is his the only human dwelling. It is not safe for little mice to be in the wild, even if they are born wild. I can show you where some wild mice live, but they might not accept you. I think it would be best for you to try to get into someone else’s house or apartment.” The ‘possum thought a moment. “This house over here is large and it has a big lower level. I think there might be a way in behind the trash cans at the side.” He shuffled over and the mice followed. Yes, right there! You see that hole; you can crawl in and find a place to stay. Just hide for a while until you see just what kind of humans live there and what their habits are. Then, you can find a food and water supply, and you’re home free! Home sweet home! Hide in the walls, or in the basement, or under the furniture by day and come out at night. I don’t think those people have a cat or dog, and even if they do, wary mice in a human house are hard to spot. You’ll love it! It’s much better than being out here in the cold and having to look for food and watch for predators every night.”

Rosemary and Parsley thanked the old ‘possum, and went through the hole. No sooner had they gone inside when they heard excited mouse voices chirping away! “We knew you would come in,” one mouse said. “We heard you talking with the ‘possum outside. We have known you were out there anyway and thought you might find your way in here, or think to go in another place. Most of us mice around here find a human place to live in. It is safer, and there is always plenty of food!” The two sisters were at home at last. They knew no one would hurt them there, for the place was just full of mice! Apparently, this house was so big that two more mice wouldn’t make any difference at all.

“So, that is that,” Parsley said to Rosemary. I just wish Alba could be here with us. Too bad we didn’t think of this sooner.”
“Yes, I will miss her,” Rosemary answered. “Now, though, we can find our own place in the walls and maybe even raise families. The big world is no place for us, especially since we have never lived there before, to make a living. Here we will live like queens. It is even better than the old place: there are even more friends to play with, but the house is so huge we can have our own space to stretch out in.” All the little mice then ran around happily, and raised their families to the end of their days, and their children and grandchildren and great-great-great grandchildren did so as well, for people were always moving in and out of the big house and the mice had lots of places to hide.
Later, on the night after the day in which Rosemary and Parsley had found their new home, the old ‘possum was talking with the mockingbird. “You know,” he said, they were really nice mice and I am glad I could help them. It’s really good to have some friends out here.”
“Yes,” said the mockingbird, “good indeed. I wish I could have done more to help before their sister was eaten by the owl. They are such cruel birds.”
“No,” ‘possum replied, “other ‘possums eat mice and rats sometimes when they have to, and out here, everyone is just trying to survive. Owls are just like anyone else. They have to feed, and they have families to raise. But when you are born inside like those mice, it really is best to stay inside, especially if you are all white like that poor sister of theirs. I wouldn’t like to be all white unless there were always snow on the ground!”

posted on Jun, 4 2013 @ 10:02 PM
link   
“Well, what do you plan to do tonight? I think I’ll fly back to see my family.” The mockingbird was looking out over the trees. “I suppose you will go looking into some more of those trash cans, or dig for worms? Nasty things-the robins like them but I prefer insects!”
“Yes, worms might be good tonight,” said the ‘possum. “I have been afraid of trash cans for the last little while, but you know that nice human who saved my life? Ever since then he has been throwing out food every few nights and when the dogs and cats don’t get it, I have a go at it! I think he knows I still come around.” And with that, the mockingbird flew away, and the ‘possum went back into the woods. As the night wore on, the owls hooted and stray cats rustled in the bushes, and the mouse sisters were warm in their new home with all their new friends. All were happy and the neighborhood slept peacefully.

Just some more random ramblings...

If God can talk to a man,
Then a man can talk to a rat.

posted on Jun, 5 2013 @ 01:24 AM
link   
Origin
brother not Brother, & scientific theories/concepts not capitalized
2nd paragraph who not whom
Separate

Just the general proofreading for errors & clarity. Interesting topic, beast-talk. Keep your topic in mind.

posted on Jun, 5 2013 @ 01:36 AM
link   
I think I understand where you are coming from. I think you will appreciate this thread.

www.abovetopsecret.com...

posted on Jun, 5 2013 @ 01:44 AM
link   

Originally posted by smithjustinb
I think I understand where you are coming from. I think you will appreciate this thread.

www.abovetopsecret.com...

Will read it when I can focus...

Thanks!

posted on Jun, 5 2013 @ 01:47 AM
link   
reply to post by kkrattiger

Good to find a fellow Grammar-Nazi! It's a proof copy...

posted on Jun, 5 2013 @ 07:53 PM
link   
reply to post by kkrattiger

Thanks! Just a proof copy, and I have written more music than prose. If I go on with the book, the parts about "me" will be in third person, animal stories will stay the same and be improved, and the scientific essays will go away, with their ideas being incorporated into the text.

I think the "Brother" was meant to be that way...

edit on 5-6-2013 by godspetrat because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 5 2013 @ 07:58 PM
link   

posted on Jun, 5 2013 @ 11:04 PM
link   

posted on Jun, 5 2013 @ 11:38 PM
link   
Grammar Nazi, haha!

It could be a rather enchanting childrens' book, the Parsley sections. I am interested in the Beast-Talk stuff. I have that success, with plants though, not animals. Which is kind of weird, now that I think about ut... The 2 dogs behind my bedroom window seem to communicate in a manner more foreign to me than the plants on my porch. I can look at my plants (especiLly the indoor ones) & know what they need, what they are "asking" for.

posted on Jun, 5 2013 @ 11:45 PM
link   
Btw, I LOVE "if God can talk to man, then Man can talk to Rat". THAT is classic. Not CLASSICISM loL but certainly artistic genius, were u to turn that little phrase into the basis for a kid's book. I mean, keep it as is, & leave that zinger at the end. Also, dont post anymore of your fantastic writing online, save it for the kids book. What if it was stolen...?

posted on Jun, 6 2013 @ 12:00 AM
link   

Originally posted by kkrattiger
Btw, I LOVE "if God can talk to man, then Man can talk to Rat". THAT is classic. Not CLASSICISM loL but certainly artistic genius, were u to turn that little phrase into the basis for a kid's book. I mean, keep it as is, & leave that zinger at the end. Also, dont post anymore of your fantastic writing online, save it for the kids book. What if it was stolen...?

Es ist mir egal.

Man, can't sleep, and neither can Yoda. Munching on that rodent mix and bits of steak (and a couple pieces of a Twix bar; yum yum)!

We'll have to turn in before long. I actually have to work tomorrow!
Oh yeah; so it's not on the prior page...

edit on 6-6-2013 by godspetrat because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 6 2013 @ 12:05 AM
link   
Third Animal Dialogue

(Present time in my parent’s house. Angus meets my Parents’ dog and cats)

Angus lolled on the master’s lap. The master and the other humans were in the living room watching the glowing box and two of the larger animals in the house on the other humans’ laps. Their names were Stash and Lupe, and Angus had heard them both called “cat.” An even bigger animal, Sasha the “dog,” was sniffing at him and looking at him with her huge brown eyes.
“Hey, little thing! Do you want to play? I’ve got lots of toys! I can pick you up in my mouth and run with you all through the house. We can even go outside. You look like the grey things that climb in the trees, but they have big bushy tails.”
“That’s alright,” said Angus, but what do you call the things in the trees? My master has shown me to them before and they do have bushy tails. They seem to be the same kind of animal as I am.”
“Squirrels,” Sasha replied. “I like to chase them, but only just for fun. I would not hurt an animal smaller than me. They just look so silly jumping from branch to branch and running back and forth to the bird feeder to get food.”
Sasha was a good-hearted dog and this really was true. The master’s parents knew this and neither they nor the master had any concerns about Angus and Sasha, though they would often speak sharply to her when she crowded too close or followed the master around the house just to get her to calm down-she was curious at first, but now when the family was watching TV Angus and the dog had a chance to talk in beastspeak.
“And the cats,” Angus asked Sasha, “are they dangerous? They don’t seem to pay much attention to me at all so far, but the black one didn’t mind when the master put me next to her. The grey striped one ran away when he did it.”
“Oh, don’t worry too much about them. Stash and Lupe are used to rats. Robert has had some over here before. He comes up in the winter a lot, but I think he is going to be staying a while longer this time.”
“He had other rats before me?” asked Angus
“Yes, but I think they died, like the dog they had before his parents got me. I think she was named Casey-Robert calls me that sometimes by mistake. She was a “Boxer” like me.”
Angus said nothing since the master had begun to stroke him. He knew there had been at least one rat before him, since he had once come upon some old droppings in a corner of the old apartment. He knew all animals die eventually, and the thought did not bother him. Animals do not worry about their eventual deaths quite so much as humans do, but they do not want to die by violence or in pain. Suddenly, the black cat jumped up onto the chair Robert was sitting in and spoke:
“Hello, Angus! Sasha was right-you don’t have to fear us cats, but I don’t know about all cats. You would make a nice meal for some of them; though I daresay a bite from those teeth of yours would be enough to discourage most of them. Lupe is a little bit shy. She doesn’t even like Robert to pet her very much; but we have been talking-and though she is going to stay right there in that chair over there for right now, she said she likes you and you can stay. You are the nicest rat we have seen here yet-so well behaved! So what do you like to do?”
“I mostly like to just lie down and think. I like to lie on the master and he sings me songs or says poems. I like to think about poetry for him, but he doesn’t speak our language very well-just a little bit, or at least he seems to understand more than the other humans.”
“What is poetry?” asked the cat. “I have never heard that word before.”
“Oh, it is words that rhyme or that sound good together. The master makes up poems when he talks to me and I make them up when I am thinking of him. A song is a poem that they sing in loud voices, but the master has friends that used to come over and play big noisy sticks so I would have to go and hide under the bed.”
Angus was about to try to make up a poem to tell the cat but the master suddenly got up, put Angus on his shoulder, and took him in the other room. He put Angus in his cage and went away. Angus didn’t mind: he was glad of the understandings he had reached with the big animals but needed some time to eat and drink some water. Actually, the humans seemed to have this on their minds as well, for he now smelled the smell of human food coming from the kitchen.
“Go away, Sasha, get away from the table! Said a loud voice, and the dog left and momentarily appeared in the room where Angus was.
“Well, seems I’ll have to eat later,” she said to Angus. They definitely don’t like me to eat with them. What’s that you’re having? Is it good? Can you push some out of your cage for me?”
Sasha was always hungry and she eyed Angus’ seeds and grains with interest.

posted on Jun, 6 2013 @ 12:07 AM
link   
“No, I don’t think I would be able to, but I would like you to stay and talk for a while. Have you met the mice?”
Yes, I sniffed them when Robert put them in the trash can. They look like little rats to me but they are so small I have a hard time hearing their voices and I think they were scared of me. How are you little fellows anyway?”
“Just fine,” said Henry in the loudest voice he could muster. “I see you’ve been talking to Angus? We used to not like each other but now he and I are friends, it’s just that my daughter isn’t so sure yet. Do dogs eat mice? I have heard of dogs, and cats too, at the pet store. The cats here don’t come in much.”
“I wouldn’t worry too much,” Sasha told the nervous mouse. “Mice are too small for me to eat, but I might hurt one of you by mistake because you are so small. It may be best that he keeps you in that cage. Cats eat mice, but the cats here have seen rats before and know not to hurt them, so you would probably be alright.” Upon hearing this, Henry went back to running on the wheel, as he had been doing before Angus and the dog had entered the room.
Sasha went away, and Angus finished up a few more bits of food. He was getting sleepy, and since the master and his parents were still in the other room but had now gotten back in front of the glowing box, he thought it might be a good time for sleep. He got into the corner where the master had placed a small cloth which was warm and soft and lay down. He slept and dreamed, no nightmare this time but a pleasant dream with the cats and dog in it this time, no savage giant mice. They were all outside running on the grass, and Sasha and Angus were chasing each other and coming up with poetry in the warm sunny air.

Run, run, chase my tail!
You silly giant doggy.
You are fast but I can weave,
And though you pant
And though you heave,
You will surely fail.

Just see if you can catch me.
For if you can’t retrieve
A little furry rat,
We’ll surely see
If even cats
This ratty can assail!

Angus was proud of this poem and his ducking and weaving, so proud that he ran right into a bush and got tangled! Sasha picked him up gently in her mouth and carried him to the waiting cats, who taunted him, but good naturedly, for getting caught. Stash and Lupe sang
their own song, each taking a verse, about the little rat who had been so overconfident in his abilities that he could not avoid the dog after all. It was different than the exuberant and happy verses of the rat, but was meant in fun.

Why, here comes Sasha, loping over,
Bringing our next meal.
Her gnashing teeth are causing wounds
That time will never heal.

Heal, you say? Whyever so,
Whyever would we want that?
Just let him squeal, that little meal
Prepared for us good cats.

posted on Jun, 6 2013 @ 12:08 AM
link   
Sasha dropped Angus on the ground and grinned. Of course the cats did not eat him but just laughed as Angus ran away again, but this time they gave chase as Sasha recovered panting, spitting white rat fur out of her mouth. As he neared the bush he had gotten tangled in before, he saw an old rabbit hole and got inside just as the cats were about to catch up. As they paced around looking for a way in, Sasha trotted up and joined the cats, coming up with some verses of her own! They were sharp and chopped like a dog’s barks.

Hidey hole, dark and cold.
Lay and fear, cats are near.
Dog has come, you cannot run.

Trembling rat, you are fat.
Come out now, you know how!
No more time, now you’re mine.

Angus came out and feigned fear, but the dog was laughing at the game and at her own cleverness in coming up with something like poetry. All the friends had one more good laugh when…
Smash! Grab! Angus was awakened by the master and taken out of the cage once again. The master carried him outside and put him on the grass, so at least one part of the dream was coming true. The master had put a little rope around Angus’ neck which was uncomfortable, but he trusted the master and was sure it was for a good purpose. Indeed it was, for though Angus could not know it, the rope was meant to keep him safe as the master let him wander in the grass-there are in real life many dangers to be avoided by domestic rats on winter days in Virginia. The sun was out, but it was not so warm as Angus remembered from his dream. He did have fun though as the master let him run free for a while, keeping the rope slack so he hardly knew it was there. There were no cats or dogs around, which was good because though the cats and dog in the house were all nice this would not be the case with all the larger animals in any neighborhood. The grass was cold, but Angus welcomed the exercise anyway since in the house he was always in the cage or being held by the master.
The master let Angus run around for a little while longer, then took the rope off his neck. It had caused him no pain and he wished he could run around some more, though his feet were beginning to get numb from the cold. He was carried back indoors and the master sat down with him in the chair in front of the glowing box, though it was not on right now and music was coming from the other room. Sasha came up and spoke:
“I saw you running in the grass. I wish I could have been there with you. I would have given you something to run from!”
“Well, before I went outside, I had a dream where you and I and both of the cats were all running around outside, but there were no humans and we all laughed and made up poetry. It was fun!”
Angus paused as a cat, this time the grey striped one, came near the chair. She meowed and then addressed Angus.
“I would give you something to run from too,” Lupe said, “but Stash was right when she said we would not eat you. We get plenty of food here, but I do like to chase the squirrels in the summer when they are full and fat on bird seed!” Lupe then stuck up her nose and jumped into an empty chair. She was not much of one for conversation. Angus just smiled to himself and snuggled up closer to his master, who scratched him behind the ears and played with his feet. Angus liked this since his feet were still cold from the winter grass. The master was reading, and spoke softly: “hey, baby. Daddy’s gonna eat you up. He’s still hungry, and dinner’s not for a while. He might just have to chop you up and make that rattikin stew. Lots of good herbs and tomatoes to put in a yummy rattikin stew!” He scratched Angus some more then got up. Angus rode on his shoulders to the other room where music was still playing. A man was playing an instrument like a small guitar and the master’s noisy stick was on the floor.
“Hey dad, you mind if I join you? Want a good bass line to go along with that mandolin? Sounds like you’ve played enough scale exercises for now,” said the master.
“Sure son, just don’t know if I can keep up with you. Doesn’t really sound much like bluegrass when you play the bass but it sounds good, don’t get me wrong,” answered his father.
The noisy stick was turned on, and Angus was gently lifted to the master’s leg. The volume was not as loud as when the master had played in the old apartment, so Angus didn’t feel like running away and hiding.

I’m just a poor wayfaring stranger
traveling through this world of woe.
But there’s no sickness, toil or danger
In that bright world to which I go.

I’m going there to meet my father,
I’m going there no more to roam.
I’m just a going over Jordan,
I’m just a going over home.

posted on Jun, 6 2013 @ 12:09 AM
link   
When the song was over, the master and the other human played for a little while longer but with no more singing. The master then put away his noisy stick, took Angus back into the guest room, and put him in his cage once more. He left Angus alone with the mice, who were just relaxing in the top part of the cage but watching somewhat nervously the black cat, Stash, who was on the bed asleep. Angus, who could still hear the soft mandolin being picked back in the music room, wondered where his master was going; but heard the door to the outside close and figured he was just going out to smoke. He almost missed right now the smell of the tobacco and its pungent smoke. It would just about hit the spot after the beautiful music. The cat had woken up and was looking at him.
“Well, you sure have been out for a long time. I was just asleep in here. Sounds like my master is playing his mandolin and singing again!”

I’d rather be in some dark hollow
Where the sun don’t ever shine
Than to be all alone, knowing that you’re gone
Would cause me to lose my mind.

The sound of singing was coming from the other room, just the master’s father this time. The door opened, and Angus heard the master come back in. He did not come back to get Angus, but went to join his father again. A short time later, Angus could hear them both singing:

So blow your whistle freight train,
Take me far on down the track.
I’m going away, I’m leaving today,
I’m going but I ain’t coming back.

“Yes, my master had me on his lap in there just a while ago. I liked the song they were singing, and I like that one too. My master and another man played once in the old place where I lived before I came here, but it was really noisy and I had to run under the bed,” said Angus.
“Under the bed? Well, they won’t play that loud here, I can tell you. The neighbors, you know. You don’t have to run under the bed. I myself would rather sleep on the bed-it is soft and warm!”
“I thought you were in here to eat us,” exclaimed the little female mouse. You have been in here for so long and I was just so scared; you might just have been pretending to be asleep!”
“Don’t be silly,” said Henry, her father. “The dog already said we had nothing to fear. Just eat your seeds or run on the wheel if you are so nervous.” He was beginning to get a little bit annoyed at his daughter’s constant fidgeting and wished she would just calm down. He at least knew there was nothing to fear and the master wouldn’t take them out of the warm, safe cage anyway unless he were cleaning it and put them in the empty trash can to wait. He at least had been taken out and held by the master and knew him to be gentle and kind. If his daughter ever bit the master again during the transference he just might have to give her a little nip himself! “You’ll just have to forgive my daughter for her lack of trust,” Henry told the cat. “She isn’t as used to domestic life as I am-she had to fend for herself for a long while, you see. She’ll get used to it, I’m sure. Hey Angus, Is that the master in there singing again?”

Now look at that cold Jordan, look at these deep waters,
Look at that wide river, oh hear the mighty billows roar.
You’d better take Jesus with you, he’s a true companion,
For I’m sure without him that you never will make it o’er.

“Yes, that’s him. They are sure singing some nice songs tonight. I would almost not mind going back in and joining them, but I can’t do what those humans can do with their voices!” Angus was getting sleepy, however, and had curled up on the little towel.
“There is some music they play with other humans singing even better than that,” said Stash. “It is on little round pieces of plastic and a machine plays it for them. Still, they do sound good tonight, and it is certainly something no cat would try!” But Angus was already asleep, lulled into unconsciousness by the music. Stash just yawned but got up and left the room, going not into the music room but into the kitchen for some milk and any bits of food the dog hadn’t gotten to.
Angus slept, and dreamed once again of running on the grass with his new-found friends. He did not even notice the master come in when it was late, and the instruments had been put away, and his father was in bed. The master turned out the light and got into bed himself. There would be time for more songs another day.

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join