It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Representation of races, or simply pick the best?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 4 2013 @ 08:05 PM
link   
Should the elite of every race automatically get representation in all elite positions, even if they are less elite than those of another race of races? After all there is not an automatic whote representatio for the olympics, or a quota of medals to certain races. Would it be fair is a more intelligent better candidate was held back because there was not the correct number of a certain racial group: who was less intelligent and a worse candidate?

If so can anyone give a reason why the worse candidate being chosen to fulfill a quota is in the best interests of the world, or that country?

And would hiring the worse candidate: because of a quota: be an admission that some races are inferior to others in certain respects?

If not why is it not an admission of inferiority?

posted on Jun, 4 2013 @ 08:15 PM
link   
reply to post by werewolf99

No race is less elite than any other....we are all human beings living on a rock in space.
We should pick the best people for the job...or am I reading this thread wrong?

posted on Jun, 4 2013 @ 08:23 PM
link   
hiring the best people would mean accepting that sometimes there may be less or even none, in some areas os some races.

posted on Jun, 4 2013 @ 08:33 PM
link   
Why would the people be divided by race?
There are multiple races in multiple countries. Some countries have more people of races that were raised in that region historically.
Races are no longer racially pure, with travel, and immigration practices.

I have no idea what you're getting at.
Whatever the job is, or sport, should have whoever is best for that job/sport.

posted on Jun, 4 2013 @ 08:42 PM
link   
Kind of reminds me of the Senator from Nebraska when Carswell (sp?) was nominated for the Supreme Court. He was a lackluster nominee, but the senator's argument was that mediocre people needed representation on the Supreme Court too, so selecting the "best and the brightest" was an elitist thing to do and not fair. It was discriminating against mediocre people.

I do not believe in racial superiority at all, because there is more variation within races than between them, but it's still an interesting point, particularly when we insist on "quotas."

posted on Jun, 4 2013 @ 08:45 PM
link   
I think what the OP means to ask is....Is Affirmative Action good or bad?

Globally? That is a hard question to answer. There are parts of the world that are still very
divided as to race or religion and opportunity.

In America and Europe we are getting closer to the time when AA will no longer be useful.

IMO in about 150 or 200 years the world will become a melting pot of human races. In the next
step we will be left mostly with two races. Asian and "Other". And that will be a tricky and dangerous
time for us humans. If we can get past that hurdle...it should be clear sailing and race will be a
thing of the past...we will finally all be "human."

Cross your fingers...and hope

top topics

join