It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

China surpassing U.S. with 54.9 petaflop supercomputer

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 4 2013 @ 10:09 PM
link   

Originally posted by rickymouse
Woopy doo. Can the computer Barbecue spareribs or make American fries?

edit on 4-6-2013 by rickymouse because: (no reason given)

With the heat of all those processors going yeah it can.

posted on Jun, 4 2013 @ 10:10 PM
link   
reply to post by Aleister

That's more the sort of thing you do with a general purpose computer. One of these number crunchers isn't usually optimal for translation. Calculating airfoils, doing an antenna simulation or figuring up hydrocodes for an FEA, yeah.

posted on Jun, 4 2013 @ 10:25 PM
link   
reply to post by Phoenix267

Gee, thats Great . Now All they have to do is acquire the Technological Smarts to Program it with Software that can be used for Military Purposes eventually Neturalizing U.S. Superiority around the Globe . WWIII here we come.........

edit on 4-6-2013 by Zanti Misfit because: (no reason given)

edit on 4-6-2013 by Zanti Misfit because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 4 2013 @ 11:22 PM
link   

Originally posted by Tribunal

Yeah what did the Chinese ever do for us?

Well,

Gunpowder, Rockets, tea....

posted on Jun, 4 2013 @ 11:40 PM
link   

Originally posted by VforVendettea

Originally posted by Tribunal

Yeah what did the Chinese ever do for us?

Well,

Gunpowder, Rockets, tea....

I love this answer i mean i really do thank you you made my day.

posted on Jun, 5 2013 @ 12:35 AM
link   
China makes most of our stuff, so is it really a surprise that they would be able to build something better than we build it? I mean they built the stuff we call ours anyways. I wonder if our titan super computer someone mentioned here had parts made in China? Ironic in many ways lol.

posted on Jun, 5 2013 @ 12:50 AM
link   
reply to post by rickymouse

probaby can generate enough heat to make a llooooott of those

posted on Jun, 5 2013 @ 10:08 AM
link   
Healthy competition is good. Each year the records are broken and the limit of the computing power is pushed further. Definitely the R&D community can use such power. Benefits of it are realized by everyone except average folks who are unable to link the technology to their daily lives.

posted on Jun, 5 2013 @ 09:50 PM
link   
Just for reference today a new i7 intel processor tops out at around - 70-80 gigaflops
A top of the line graphics card 7970 : 4 terraflops
At home you could today have 16 terraflops with a quad 7970. All for about $3k. You can match the fastest supercomputer from 2002 with 2 of these systems.
Roughly-
10$k computer in 2013 = 600 million dollar computer from 2002 (NES earth simulator)
Top of line supercomputer in 2009 = 1 petaflop
Today- 1 7970 - 4 terraflop
1000 terraflop = 1 petaflop
250x7970 = 1 petaflop
250 x 400$ = $100,000
This cost 120$ million in 2009!

India plans a exaflop computer close to 2017-18.
en.wikipedia.org...

So what can you do with 50 petaflops-
Advanced molecular simulation - protein folding, nuclear
Weather simulation where we could predict stuff weeks before we see big systems
Earthquake prediction
Look for life beyond the solar system using radio waves

posted on Jun, 13 2013 @ 09:57 AM
link   
This isn't me being smug, but I told you so.

The U.S. was too busy installing dictators and ousting them in desert shít-holes and fighting over a near defunct fuel source and meanwhile let China slip into the 21st century with the wind at their backs.

Good luck trying to catch up.

NB:
Do you notice how little interest this topic musters? This is indicative of why the Chinese have surpassed the Anglo power so quickly- the U.S. and its subservient lackeys have had their eyes off the ball for so long that they've forgotten what game they're meant to be playing.
edit on 13-6-2013 by FromMyColdDeadBrain because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 13 2013 @ 04:56 PM
link   

Originally posted by an0nThinker
Just for reference today a new i7 intel processor tops out at around - 70-80 gigaflops
A top of the line graphics card 7970 : 4 terraflops
At home you could today have 16 terraflops with a quad 7970. All for about $3k. You can match the fastest supercomputer from 2002 with 2 of these systems.
Roughly-
10$k computer in 2013 = 600 million dollar computer from 2002 (NES earth simulator)
Top of line supercomputer in 2009 = 1 petaflop
Today- 1 7970 - 4 terraflop
1000 terraflop = 1 petaflop
250x7970 = 1 petaflop
250 x 400$ = $100,000
This cost 120$ million in 2009!

India plans a exaflop computer close to 2017-18.
en.wikipedia.org...

So what can you do with 50 petaflops-
Advanced molecular simulation - protein folding, nuclear
Weather simulation where we could predict stuff weeks before we see big systems
Earthquake prediction
Look for life beyond the solar system using radio waves

Personal computers average 1 to 8 gigaflops on cpu graphic cards can average around 50 but some are over 200 gigaflops but thats what they are designed to do. Flops is not a true measure of speed however because theres other factors such as response time number of pipelines its length cache size ect.

posted on Jun, 13 2013 @ 05:03 PM
link   
Unless that technology belongs to the people with no cost and not for the elite or rich, its useless and ugly and a blight on humanity.

THE EQUALITY!!! All else is crimes against all souls!
edit on 13-6-2013 by Unity_99 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 13 2013 @ 06:46 PM
link   
reply to post by dragonridr

My laptop with a dedicated graphic processor from 2 years ago does close to 800 gigaflops and my cpu about 20 gigaflops. Although I know I couldn't push those kind of numbers from them without some real cooling but its a good indicative. I know flops not are good indicative of real computing power for dedicated tasks but they are how we judge supercomputers. Like graphic cards are good at parallel tasks and usually code has to rewritten to take advantage of them.

posted on Jun, 14 2013 @ 03:57 PM
link   
Floating point operations is a measure of the shear grunt of these systems. It is a base level at which different architectures can be compared at the mathematical level.

Often these numbers are misinterpreted though when it comes to personal computers. The most basic one was the PS3's Cell chip, which many people incorrectly state (back then) was orders of magnitude faster than CPUs in PCs.

Why?

Well the Cell is firstly power pc arch, not the same as x86. So speed comparison in terms of clock speed is irrelevant. A 1GHz ARM chip in a phone does not NOT (twice to be sure people see it) perform as well as a 1GHz x86 chip. The cell was like slapping a couple of general CPUs and a couple of GPU units on the same chip... so a more accurate test of performance is to really compare a PC with its GPU... which back then no one bothered to do. The tools to do it were not well developed, so it was a difficult comparison.

Anyway as also stated, these super computers are built around the concept of performing parallel computing tasks. Or high order n-body calculations. What has already been pointed out is that Mr Average Joe doesn't understand what the purpose of these things are, and will often say "Hufff, waste of money" and is intirely ignorant of how much these big projects trickle down allowing him to have a nice cell phone/laptop/computer. The sad part of it all is... people obsess over things that are unimportant when it comes to computing.

Example being people spending lots of cash so there CPU runs at 40C (when as long as you are not hitting the 90s, you will be just fine), and overclocking things, then not using any of the power at all... (Gaming doesn't stress computers by the way, anyone who knows anything would nod their head at that.)

new topics

top topics

<< 1   >>

join